Hello all,

So I'm studying abroad next semester to Paris and I want to take my Storm with me. I know there are so many avenues I can go about this but right now I'm thinking of unlocking it and using a local/international Sim card. While researching some I came across this:

InTouch SmartCards: International SIM Card for France with GPRS and BlackBerry Data

It seems to be perfect and being the cynic I am, it kinda scares me. I've read up and down the site and I don't see anything sketch but I wanted to know if anyone else had either heard of the company or see anything weird on the site.

Also, if I go with my phone unlocked for the 4 months, how does my billing with Verizon work? Am I still paying my monthly bill or is my contract extended the 4 months?

Thanks in advance!
    11-22-09 02:56 PM
    I never looked into international plans before. But regarding your verizon account I think you can have them freeze your account for the 4 months and pay $10 maintenance fee.
    11-22-09 03:10 PM
    if your leaving for military reasoning they will waive youre fees and it can be suspended up to 20 months and than resuspended again up to 20 months if necessary. if you were to call in just tell them you need to suspend for military reasoning, and your going to be out of the country. hope all works out. and france has alot of different deals for service, when you get there youll see a variety, i was with the navy there and everything went cheap and smoothly, i was happy, also if you come across any wifi blackberries you can enable wifi and make calls back to the states via uma (wifi) at no cost which was a huge money save for me.
    11-22-09 04:06 PM
    if your leaving for military reasoning they will waive youre fees and it can be suspended up to 20 months and than resuspended again up to 20 months if necessary. if you were to call in just tell them you need to suspend for military reasoning, and your going to be out of the country. hope all works out. and france has alot of different deals for service, when you get there youll see a variety, i was with the navy there and everything went cheap and smoothly, i was happy, also if you come across any wifi blackberries you can enable wifi and make calls back to the states via uma (wifi) at no cost which was a huge money save for me.
    Ok awesome. I may try to get the Storm 2 before I leave for the wi-fi then

@Gil718: I'll call them and ask about freezing the line
    11-22-09 06:16 PM
    This company is probably just reselling someone else service. The $0.39 per minute call rate seems a little high for Europe (especially if those are American cents). It looks like they're charging $5 per MB for data. That could get a little pricey.

Take your phone with you and see what French telecom companies are offering. I think you could probably find a better deal.

When I lived in the Netherlands, I just bought a prepaid phone (very inexpensive). I could then recharge as needed. I think I only paid something like $0.10 per minute/message anywhere in Europe.

Have fun in France!
    11-22-09 07:37 PM
    That does look a bit high, but I've seen a lot higher. Your best bet is probably Orange

Go Orange!
    11-22-09 07:45 PM
    Thanks guys! So just unlock and figure out Sims once I'm there?
    11-22-09 09:07 PM
    Thanks guys! So just unlock and figure out Sims once I'm there?
    I think that's what I would do. I think you could find a better deal than this.
    11-22-09 10:22 PM
    if your leaving for military reasoning they will waive youre fees and it can be suspended up to 20 months and than resuspended again up to 20 months if necessary. if you were to call in just tell them you need to suspend for military reasoning, and your going to be out of the country.
    this is true, BUT... you also have to provide your Commanding Officer's name and contact number, and your base of operations.

To avoid fraud, military suspends are validated.
    11-22-09 11:51 PM
    Let us know if you decide you want to get it unlocked.

As far as the company you mention it seems legit, but not to sure what the rates are abroad to be able to compare them to.
    11-23-09 04:39 PM
    Hello all,

So I'm studying abroad next semester to Paris and I want to take my Storm with me. I know there are so many avenues I can go about this but right now I'm thinking of unlocking it and using a local/international Sim card. While researching some I came across this:

InTouch SmartCards: International SIM Card for France with GPRS and BlackBerry Data

It seems to be perfect and being the cynic I am, it kinda scares me. I've read up and down the site and I don't see anything sketch but I wanted to know if anyone else had either heard of the company or see anything weird on the site.

Also, if I go with my phone unlocked for the 4 months, how does my billing with Verizon work? Am I still paying my monthly bill or is my contract extended the 4 months?

Thanks in advance!
    I think you need to keep researching before you buy. The only advantage to you is $$ billing, and having it setup before you leave. You also avoid th problem of finding a short term BB service, but it looks like you will pay hard for the privilege.

The rates are a little strange. The <within france> rate for outgoing domestic calls is extortion, but the rate for calls to USA is reasonable. The rates within Europe but outside France are governed by euro law. It seems to be approximately correct.

I notice they say "GPRS" which is the lowest and slowest form of data. If it doesn't offer EDGE and 3G tell them to put it where the sun never shines, because France has some of the best fast data within Europe. The data cost is way higher than I would expect, and its going to hurt. As a guide, on my UK based account I get nominally unlimited BB data for �10 / month (�11) and roaming in Europe I should pay about �3 / megabyte.
    11-23-09 07:41 PM
    I think you need to keep researching before you buy. The only advantage to you is $$ billing, and having it setup before you leave. You also avoid th problem of finding a short term BB service, but it looks like you will pay hard for the privilege.

The rates are a little strange. The <within france> rate for outgoing domestic calls is extortion, but the rate for calls to USA is reasonable. The rates within Europe but outside France are governed by euro law. It seems to be approximately correct.

I notice they say "GPRS" which is the lowest and slowest form of data. If it doesn't offer EDGE and 3G tell them to put it where the sun never shines, because France has some of the best fast data within Europe. The data cost is way higher than I would expect, and its going to hurt. As a guide, on my UK based account I get nominally unlimited BB data for �10 / month (�11) and roaming in Europe I should pay about �3 / megabyte.
    Oh wow, thanks so much for the info guys.

So one more question about Sims, obviously I can walk into a phone store and ask for one that is rechargeable. Could I also walk in and ask for one that would include BB data service or can you only get that with monthly plans?
    11-24-09 06:17 PM
    This one actually looks decent as well ->> France SIM Card

Free incoming and .18 Euro outbound to the US. Among the best prices I've seen, FWIW.
    11-24-09 06:55 PM
    This one actually looks decent as well ->> France SIM Card

Free incoming and .18 Euro outbound to the US. Among the best prices I've seen, FWIW.
    Thanks checking it out!
    11-25-09 09:39 PM
    Oh wow, thanks so much for the info guys.

So one more question about Sims, obviously I can walk into a phone store and ask for one that is rechargeable. Could I also walk in and ask for one that would include BB data service or can you only get that with monthly plans?
    Prepay SIM with BB service is almost impossible to find in Europe. No provider wants the work of setting up a BIS account for short term use, and you will also find it is difficult to setup a monthly account without a local credit history and residence. You would probably have to commit to a 12 month minimum contract if you can find a supplier here.
    11-26-09 07:16 AM
    Prepay SIM with BB service is almost impossible to find in Europe. No provider wants the work of setting up a BIS account for short term use, and you will also find it is difficult to setup a monthly account without a local credit history and residence. You would probably have to commit to a 12 month minimum contract if you can find a supplier here.
    Yea I'll only be there for 4 months so nothing long term. Guess no data for me
    11-27-09 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD