My main email is GMail and I've set it up using the Setup Wizard and it works great for getting emails quickly but I have a few issues I'd love to get resolved.

I used to have BES and I loved how the mailbox and phone stayed synced up whether it being marked read, deleted, or replied mail. It doesn't seem like what I do on the phone syncs to what is done in the mailbox and vice versa. Is there a better way to setup the mailbox? Also when I email someone I get a copy of the email sent in my phone's inbox which is annoying.

Anyone have any tips or a good walkthrough? Thanks in advance
    11-24-08 08:20 AM
    go out to google and look for their instructions on setting it up using IMAP...FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY and you'll get what you want.
    11-24-08 08:22 AM
    go out to google and look for their instructions on setting it up using IMAP...FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY and you'll get what you want.
    I tried but I think the software is different than when the tutorial was written. I will try again and update if it works. Thanks
    11-24-08 08:23 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/ is the link to setup your gmail so your messages don't bounce back.
    Last edited by cap10mark; 11-24-08 at 08:28 AM.
    11-24-08 08:26 AM
    I tried but I think the software is different than when the tutorial was written. I will try again and update if it works. Thanks
    You need to do it exactly...I had trouble at first...just make sure that you don't type a password...you don't want BIS to automatically configure the account...you need your gmail to have advanced options.
    11-24-08 08:27 AM
    I had problems setting it up also even though I followed instructions exactly. I called customer service and told them I wanted to setup gmail using IMAP not POP3. Gave them some information and they pushed the services books to my device. It took all of 5 minutes...well 25 if you include the wait time!
    11-24-08 08:29 AM
    I had problems setting it up also even though I followed instructions exactly. I called customer service and told them I wanted to setup gmail using IMAP not POP3. Gave them some information and they pushed the services books to my device. It took all of 5 minutes...well 25 if you include the wait time!
    Does your GMail perfectly sync now? The biggest issue I'm having is if I delete a message from the server, it doesn't delete from the phone. However, if I delete from my phone, it syncs fine.
    11-24-08 08:36 AM
    Does your GMail perfectly sync now? The biggest issue I'm having is if I delete a message from the server, it doesn't delete from the phone. However, if I delete from my phone, it syncs fine.
    It depends on how you have Reconcile setup...
    11-24-08 08:38 AM
    You need to do it exactly...I had trouble at first...just make sure that you don't type a password...you don't want BIS to automatically configure the account...you need your gmail to have advanced options.
    It won't let me go on without a password >.<
    11-24-08 08:39 AM
    11-24-08 08:41 AM
    It won't let me go on without a password >.<
    I think I left the @gmail.com part off

that made the account setup fail so that you could manually configure the account
    11-24-08 08:41 AM
    Well...I just checked on deleting from the server and it's actually not updating on the device.
    11-24-08 08:44 AM
    Do you have to select delete on desktop/handheld on the device? I know I have to do that for BES. I use Google Mobile - Gmail and it keeps both synced, but you guys are talking about IMAP.
    11-24-08 08:47 AM
    Man I'm still lost. I can't add it without a working password so I can't get into advanced settings...
    11-24-08 09:08 AM
    Ok...follow these pictures...if you need help I'll help you out...

First of all the @fail.com works because you want it to have an account that can't be auto configured... The rest should be self explanatory....

The account settings are on the gmail BB Imap setup instructions...

Last edited by phikai; 11-24-08 at 11:44 AM.
    11-24-08 09:17 AM
    just go to google's mobile site and download the gmail app.

it works perfectly on my phone takes all of 3 minutes to download
    11-24-08 09:22 AM
    Man I'm still lost. I can't add it without a working password so I can't get into advanced settings...
    Are you going to the BIS website? You can't configure IMAP on the phone itself.
    11-24-08 09:22 AM
    Sorry...go back a page and look, I edited my post for how to get a failed account setup so that you can manually configure
    11-24-08 09:27 AM
    Or you could just use the Gmail mobile app and then you can view your mails in conversations view, archive, search, etc just like you do at gmail.com.

The only problem I have with using the app is there is no HTML email support as of yet. I am sure this update will be coming soon since the storm supports full HTML.
    11-24-08 09:32 AM
    Or you could just use the Gmail mobile app and then you can view your mails in conversations view, archive, search, etc just like you do at gmail.com.

The only problem I have with using the app is there is no HTML email support as of yet. I am sure this update will be coming soon since the storm supports full HTML.
    Yeah, I was wondering if that was an issue. I was hoping it was just a setting that I didn't find yet. I hope they resolve this in the next OS update.
    11-24-08 09:39 AM
    Although the GMail mobile app does keep a perfect sync, there are two issues.

1) The "push" isn't nearly as fast as the configured BIS account. I've seen delays of 5-10 minutes.

2) The Gmail app is not directly integrated with the loaded contacts on your BB. Instead, the contacts are based off those you have stored in Gmail.
    11-24-08 09:46 AM
    y not just use the Gmail app, its easier i think...
    11-24-08 09:48 AM
    y not just use the Gmail app, its easier i think...
    What SteveO said. Its slower by a lot sometimes and I want something more integrated into the phone...
    11-24-08 09:51 AM
    Here Duplicate sent email message arrives on BlackBerry smartphone when sent using Gmail. This should stop you from receiving a copy in your inbox.
    11-24-08 09:56 AM
    What SteveO said. Its slower by a lot sometimes and I want something more integrated into the phone...
    Did the pictures I posted work?
    11-24-08 10:00 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD