When I first got my phone I sset up my email accounts manually. It was easy to go into email settings and choose <add a new email account>. I could then put all of my settings in.

I had an issue with the phone and we had to wipe it. This time around I made a mistake..when setting up email I chose to use BIS. Now..all of my email settings must go thru this stupid interface. I dont want to have to log into BIS to make a change or add an account. I just cant get back to the old screen that let me set up an account manually. I tried wiping the phone again..but now when I go back into email setting, I just get the agreement for BIS. If I choose not to accept it, it drops me out. I called Verizon and after 10 minutes of 'why do you want to do that' (I'm guessing they get a cut of pushing people to the website) he finally said, I guess I could just delete your account and that should work...well, it doesn't.

I want to be able to manually enter my OWA manually.

I just want to go back to the old 'add an email account screen'.

HOW DO I GET OUT OF THE BIS CULT???!!!! It wont go away!
    08-28-09 07:18 PM
    I'm sure the Verizon rep had NO idea what the heck you're talking about, as I am having the same problem. Once you set up an email account (and you do it with BIS/BES, there is no other way), it's set up. Wiping your phone doesn't delete the email account from the BIS system. All you need to do is resend your service books to the phone.

If you weren't using BIS, there'd really be no point to having a BlackBerry. (unless you were using some 3rd party app, such as Gmail)

Maybe you can clarify because after re-reading 3 times, I'm still totally lost. Maybe I'm just stupid, I don't know...
    08-28-09 07:48 PM
    If you go into email settings...and not have signed up for BIS...you would see your email addresses and a prompt to <Add a new email acct>. You can then manually put in your OWA address, email address, etc.
    Once you sign up for a BIS account..all those options are transfered to the BIS web site..which means just steps to get the same thing done. Its much faster without going thru the BIS website.
    08-28-09 08:16 PM
    Never mind. More or LESS solved. Kinda..sort of.
    Well..just a work around.
    Thanks anyway.
    08-28-09 09:34 PM
    You're talking about BES Setup on your device. Yes, once you setup a BIS Account, it takes over as the email service. But this is for ALL blackberrys. All blackberrys use the BIS. What you were doing before was email setup on an Enterprise. The method of going to Email settings to setup email is the standard method of setting up email on your device. So yes, the VZW Rep probably didnt understand what you were saying, because BIS is the normal setup for a Blackberry, and they dont support BES Setup at all. Call RIM if you're concerned. Verizon tech support follows specific support guidelines. You can't expect them to fully understand.
    08-28-09 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD