What is up with the browser talk? Isn't the browser that comes with the phone good as is? Do I really need to download Opera or Bolt? And if I do, what happens to the phones default browser?
    09-19-09 04:04 PM
    You really should have waited for the Storm 2. Less bugs and it has WIFI
    09-19-09 04:34 PM
    The berrys browser is ok but opera and bolt are nice. The berry browser is good for mobile sites. The other two are much faster for regular web pages.
    Opera and bolt are just 3rd party apps so there will be an icon to click and use. They won't replace your standard browser.
    As with anything, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Bolt and opera are free so it doesn't hurt to download try and delete if you want.
    Hope this clears things up for ya.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-09 04:36 PM
    Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I probably couldn't afford it lol. I got the storm for only $50 on the verizon site. I couldn't pass that up on a new phone which I def. needed. I have a MetroPCS and I NEED better.
    09-19-09 04:39 PM
    No problem. I would suggest upgrading to 151 os when you feel comfortable doing it. I have been 5.0 and came back. Its the best most stable os around. Most themes and apps work great on it also.

09-19-09 04:55 PM
    Wait what does that mean? Upgrade to 151? How do I do this when I get my phone?

And what it is? Sorry I'm a big n00b on this blackberry thing lol.
    Last edited by AllenRulz; 09-19-09 at 05:04 PM.
    09-19-09 05:01 PM
    Go to the OS sun forum for that. And I'd suggest the opera mini 5 beta. Its slick and has tabbed browsing
    Edit: more direct link. http://m.opera.com/next/?no_redir&ismobile=true

Last edited by imme40; 09-19-09 at 05:09 PM.
    09-19-09 05:06 PM
    I'm with the OP on this, though... for $50, the Storm was a great value, if you dig in and upgrade to .151 at least. I don't think I would have paid the $199 (or whatever it will cost) for the Storm 2. $50 is nice and sound in this economy.

Edited to add: And yes, try Opera Mini 5. Even though it's in beta, it still owns the built-in browser.
    09-19-09 05:59 PM
    What do I need to do to upgrade to 151? I dont understand
    09-19-09 06:08 PM
    Check the how to thread. .151 is a os that was released for a mexico service. It is very good with memory management and as you will learn, that is key.
    Learn to use the search function. Pretty much every question you have or will have has been answered.
    Welcome to the crackberry family.

09-19-09 06:11 PM
    I searched all threads and nothing coming up for .151. Your saying from a mexico service? Is this safe? meaning not supposed to be here yet. When will Verizon release this update as a normal update to my storm?
    Last edited by AllenRulz; 09-19-09 at 06:51 PM.
    09-19-09 06:37 PM
    They won't release .151. Its an official version for a Mexican network. In the OS subforum there are howto theads for upgrading to non Verizon releases. This also includes various leaked OS.
    A leaked OS is one that was not released to the public but was found and posted. Some have various bugs. Such as no camera or no streaming apps

09-19-09 07:29 PM
    allen, storm 1 is a great phone, don't let them discourage you. for $50 it's a steal!

09-19-09 07:35 PM
    My meager advice... get to know your new Storm before loading a new OS on it. 151 is a great OS, but if you're new to the whole BB thing, then take some time and learn it first. Opera Mini is a good browser,much faster than the built-in browser, but does take a little getting used too.Especially the new beta (5.0). But there is nothing wrong with the normal browser. As mentioned, get familiar with your Storm first, do some research and reading around here, then when you are comfortable...move on to such things as OS upgrades . Just my 2 cents.

09-19-09 08:10 PM
    Yep. That's why I said when you feel comfortable. There are step by step instructions and if followed you will have no problems. You being truly new to blackberry, should read about everything you can and get used to the device.

09-19-09 08:19 PM
    The new Opera 5 is way superior to the browser that comes with the Storm (or any other BB for that matter). It has a few quirks not present on the default BB browser, but overall makes for a much more pleasant browsing experience.
    09-19-09 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD