ok, for one, to the people who designed, wrote, distribute and use amaZe GPS, I hereby formally apologize. I had been trying the non-Verizon version and was of course hating it because it didn't work. Now that I learned how to read, I downloaded the correct build of the software, and I am in lurrrrrrve with you. Lurrrrrve.

Ok, that being said....

The way my car was designed, the cupholders are down by the shifter, under the radio. This is ENTIRELY too far off the road for my eyes to go at 85mph to read a map. Even at 35mph.... yeah, opposite of safe. The dashboard is just eh and is far too sloping to rest my Storm on. No flat surfaces or anything. If I rest it on the gauge cluster, it keeps sliiiiiiiding when I turn, and will block some warning lights.

I am completely anti the idea of throwing money at a problem. I got amaZe GPS for free, so f paying for a dashboard mount. That's redonkulous to pay $45 for a dash mount so I can use free software. But at the same time, I'm very anti gluing and drilling into my dashboard. You may not think my Chevy Cobalt is that nice a car, but I do, and I am anti-screwing it up (especially since i'm still not done paying for the car!!)

SO.....

Does anyone have a really good DIY solve for this? A good non-invasive, sub $20 method of mounting my Storm in the car so I can use GPS navigation and not take my eyes off the road with my daughter in the car? And I mean Dee...Eye....Why!!! I may be mister family man, but im still a punk at heart. I was able to avoid paying for a bedside mount, and for free used a little plastic stand for the bedside. I welcome the idea of having to engineer something.

Ideas?
    08-23-09 01:25 PM
    Nice thread title haha lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 01:32 PM
    08-23-09 02:19 PM
    use a window mount, which uses a suction cup method instead of drilling/gluing/whatever.

yeah you'll be out of pocket, but it shouldn't be that much.

if you do go the ebay route, do NOT use a 3rd party charger... too much potential for something to get screwed up.
    08-23-09 02:33 PM
    Your thread title totally got my going, then I saw your username and backed out.
    08-23-09 02:37 PM
    Duct Tape!
    08-23-09 02:42 PM
    there's GOTTA Be a self-engineered solution.

i am a Science & Engineering teacher... maybe I could make my students engineer a solution for me... make it extra credit?

like, I already figured out I'll need to buy one of these:

and then snip some metal wire or even paper clips and solder them onto the sides as a brace....

but how to mount it to the dash without drilling or gluing?
    08-23-09 02:45 PM
    Sooo.... Ur all about anti glueing and screwing into ur nice car. But don't mind putting something ugly and homemade into it? Dude just put outta pocket and don't look weeeeek!

08-23-09 03:07 PM
    ^--- that actually looks like a good idea! I've been thinking about the same exact thing.. although I have the bad habit of txting while driving and I keep my BB in my hand the whole time.. I really shouldn't be doing that... so, if you come up with a solution I'd be really interested in knowing!
    08-23-09 03:10 PM
    Try Amazon. They always have good deals on Storm Mounts...
    08-23-09 04:47 PM
    Visit your local car stereo shop and see what they have. I'm an installer at best buy and we have about 7 different options just with universal mounts. Also ask about custom mounts. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to make one by using an old case I don't use anymore. Ill post pics when I'm finished.

08-23-09 06:33 PM
    Buy one of those air freshener clips that slide in (that's what she said!!!) to the AC vent. Then find a way to attach that basket thing on to it. Hot glue maybe?
    08-23-09 07:10 PM
    there's GOTTA Be a self-engineered solution.

i am a Science & Engineering teacher... maybe I could make my students engineer a solution for me... make it extra credit?

but how to mount it to the dash without drilling or gluing?
    I'm thinkin' sticky-backed Velcro. It comes in several "strengths" of the hook-and-loop sides, and you can get strips, round "spots," etc.
    08-23-09 07:25 PM
    Its been awhile since I mounted something in my car. Suction cups?

08-23-09 07:32 PM
    I'll be watching this to see what everyone comes up with. I'm not against spending money but if I don't have too, I don't want to.
    08-23-09 07:36 PM
    get some rubber bands to tie it to the sun visor.

But I don't think attaching a blackberry to the inside of a car is likely to help you get you mounted
    08-23-09 07:36 PM
    I am currently designing a dash mount as we speak. When I am satisfied with the design, I will machine a few prototypes. Should be sweet....

John
    08-24-09 02:05 AM
    Try this companuy. Pretty spendy, but nice looking stuff...

ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

I know it doesn't fit in your $20 budget, but it may be worth it. Or maybe you could use part of this system somehow?
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 08-24-09 at 03:10 AM.
    08-24-09 03:08 AM
    spendy = bad

DIY = good

oh, and let me just say this, cause I forgot to. it's not that I'm cheap, or not part of the "cool crowd". It's just if you add "old punk rock kid" together with Science & Engineering teacher.... you tend to want to self-engineer every solution. it's an addiction, I know.
    Last edited by BCdogs14; 08-24-09 at 04:40 AM.
    08-24-09 04:35 AM
    see and my way of thinking is

Spendy=professional

Diy=hack

This has just been my experience with customers.

08-24-09 04:50 AM
    see and my way of thinking is

Spendy=professional

Diy=hack

This has just been my experience with customers.

No... DIY means it will be exactly what I want and custom to my vehicle. I assure you it will be better than anything you can buy. It will be CNC machined so it will look professional. ;-).

John
    08-24-09 03:27 PM
    well yknow, that could go either way.

when it comes to professional things, absolutely I go with the good stuff. And if my business involved for some reason, people riding in my car... absolutely I shell out the $45.

However, I'm a teacher. If I have the people I serve for work in my car, I'll go to jail.

Doing a DIY fix, to me... doesn't seem like it's hodgepodge or "thrown together". To me, if I have my friends or family in the car... it's more of "Look what I made. Look how much skill I have! Bask in my superior ingenuity!!!"

"hack" is a compliment to me.

so here's what I figure. I'll score the business card rack, get the pliers, bend it to 90 deg and get it to rest in the air vent. Since it's mesh, it'll still allow air to go through when not in use. we'll see how it works....
    08-24-09 04:23 PM
    my preference is the car door handle, my lap, or cup holder...i don't like the mounts, they pinch the sides and trigger the keys and stuff...it's lame...but i'm sure if you came up with one that gripped top and bottom you'd have no problem...
    08-24-09 06:09 PM
    Sounds cheese but I use velcro. Just remember to attached the soft fiber part to the back of the phone and the rough (micro hooks) to you dash or visor.

08-24-09 06:15 PM
    Car Floor Mount for BLACKBERRY STORM BOLD & CURVE - eBay

As an engineer myself, I am looking into doing something like the link above. All you really gotta do is unscrew one bolt from the bottom of your seat, slip this in and tighten the bolt and viola.

If you have spare metal parts or flexible/bending parts, it would be even better. The problem I had was finding a good solid hold for the phone and your previous post about using the mesh card holder is something I'm gonna consider. I/you can weld the modded card holder onto the top and done.

PS> great title. I came here thinking I'd get a peep show...
    Last edited by Stormified; 08-24-09 at 07:38 PM.
    08-24-09 07:32 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD