Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. cjallen1's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Getting Contacts List from Backup File?

    Is there a way to get contact lists from a backup file I have saved on my computer? I switched to the Droid today and want my contacts from my Storm but it doesn't work. I did a backup and then restore about a month ago so I have all the backup files saved on my computer. I couldn't find the contacts to get a list of them but I figure there is a way to get it or at least display them on my screen. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. amavit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,403 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,407 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask
    #2  

    Default

    I don't think there is. If you have used gmail or microsoft outlook you would be able to transfer them easily, but I don't believe you can load only the contacts from your storm backup to your droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    And BTW Amavit, your signature says your a chick, but to me you look more like a cup of coffee. Or maybe Latte!
    Running: Official 5.0.0.419 Glowing/pop up keys are awesome
  3. cjallen1's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amavit View Post
    I don't think there is. If you have used gmail or microsoft outlook you would be able to transfer them easily, but I don't believe you can load only the contacts from your storm backup to your droid.
    I'm not talking about loading them. I'm just talking about getting the list from the backup file. I'm sure I'll have to enter them in manually but I was hoping and thinking there is way to open up the backup file and view its contents like the contacts that are in it.
  4. amavit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,403 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,407 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask
    #4  

    Default

    Oh, I don't know of a way to view them outside of your phone. You might be able to find a way to open the file in excel or something. Maybe trying googling converting the .ipd (or w/e file) to something else that you can open. Plus, if you backed them up using gmail, you could've easily used the sync app to get them on your droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    And BTW Amavit, your signature says your a chick, but to me you look more like a cup of coffee. Or maybe Latte!
    Running: Official 5.0.0.419 Glowing/pop up keys are awesome
  5. cjallen1's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Okay, so I haven't figured out how to do it yet. My buddy has a Blackberry Curve though so I might try to backup his phone, then do an advanced restore of only my contacts onto his phone. Get them from his phone and then restore his contacts. Will this work even though my contacts were from a Storm and I'm loading them on a different BB? I think it should since its just contacts and nothing Storm specific will be loaded on his.
  6. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjallen1 View Post
    Okay, so I haven't figured out how to do it yet. My buddy has a Blackberry Curve though so I might try to backup his phone, then do an advanced restore of only my contacts onto his phone. Get them from his phone and then restore his contacts. Will this work even though my contacts were from a Storm and I'm loading them on a different BB? I think it should since its just contacts and nothing Storm specific will be loaded on his.
    Yes, that will work. The advance restore will for sure work, but I don't think it would matter. As long as there is a back up for his phone you won't have a problem.

    I would download Google Sync on his phone. Sync it to your account, then you will have all your contacts on the Droid. Then delete Google Sync off his phone and do a restore.
  7. truckie4331's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    how do i organise my contacts after a battery pull
  8. cjallen1's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridesno159 View Post
    Yes, that will work. The advance restore will for sure work, but I don't think it would matter. As long as there is a back up for his phone you won't have a problem.

    I would download Google Sync on his phone. Sync it to your account, then you will have all your contacts on the Droid. Then delete Google Sync off his phone and do a restore.
    It seems that Google Sync doesn't support the android platform. Also, I don't have a gmail account but I could create one real quick if thats what I need to do it. I look further into whether it or not Sync works on the Droid but I don't think it does from looking at the Google Mobile website.
  9. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjallen1 View Post
    It seems that Google Sync doesn't support the android platform. Also, I don't have a gmail account but I could create one real quick if thats what I need to do it. I look further into whether it or not Sync works on the Droid but I don't think it does from looking at the Google Mobile website.
    No Google Sync doesn't support Android. Google Sync isn't needed with Google Software, it will just do it. But you will most likely want to set up a Gmail account for your Droid (only way to get push email).

    So what I was saying is. Install Google Sync on your friends BB (with your contacts on it) and sync with your Gmail account. You now have a Gmail account with all your contacts in it. Then delete Google Sync from the BB, and restore his contacts. Now registar your new Gmail account on your Droid, and Boom all your contacts are on your new Droid.
  10. cjallen1's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ridesno159 View Post
    No Google Sync doesn't support Android. Google Sync isn't needed with Google Software, it will just do it. But you will most likely want to set up a Gmail account for your Droid (only way to get push email).

    So what I was saying is. Install Google Sync on your friends BB (with your contacts on it) and sync with your Gmail account. You now have a Gmail account with all your contacts in it. Then delete Google Sync from the BB, and restore his contacts. Now registar your new Gmail account on your Droid, and Boom all your contacts are on your new Droid.
    Awesome. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
  11. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #12  

    Default

    Oh that's cool! Thanks
  12. N2DFire's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    57 Posts
    PIN
    3058a3ef
    #13  

    Default

    How to get a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file with all your contact data - by me.

    Using Desktop Manager:
    Connect your BB

    On the Main Menu of DM - Select Synchronize.

    On the Synchronize screen - on the left hand side under Configure - Select Synchronization - This will change the Right Hand portion of the DM screen.

    On the right hand side - click the Synchronization Button on the upper right - this will start the Intellisync setup dialog.

    In the dialog screen - put a check in the box for Address Book and clear the others if needed.

    Click the actual Address Book icon on the screen - the entire "line item" should be highlighted in blue and the Settings button should now be enabled.

    Click the Settings button - a screen will appear prompting you to Select a desktop application - Pick the ASCII Importer/Exporter and click the Next button.

    Select the Direction you want the Sync to be (In this case the One Way sync from device will be what you want) and click Next.

    On this screen:
    - Click the Options button and specify Comma as the field separator (left column) and Double quotation marks as the field value markers (right column)
    - Specify a path and file name to save the file - make sure the file name ends with .csv and pick a path easy for you to find / remember. ** See new info on solving Excel PIN problem at end of post **

    Click Next & then click Finish - you will now be back at the Intellisync setup main screen. Click O.K. to exit back to the DM Synchronize screen

    Now click on Synchronize on the left hand pane of the DM screen - this will again change the right hand portion.

    On the right hand portion check Synchronize organizer data and clear all others. Then press the Synchronize button

    This will start the Synchronizer - you will see several progress dialogs flash up then a message box with the header Confirm Address Book Edits - it will have several button options - click the Accept button. You will again see a couple of progress dialogs then back to the DM Synchronize screen.

    Presto - you now have a comma separated values (csv) file of all your contact data that Notepad or Excel (or many other programs) can open.

    I have my DM set to do this every time I plug in my BB so I will always have a separate contacts back-up from the regular DM back-up.


    You can also use this same process to make several / bulk changes to your contact info & by reversing the direction in the setup above - can then load them back to your BB.

    One word of caution however - Excel (and I assume other spread sheet applications) does NOT play nice with BB PIN numbers. It can truncate leading zeros and some PIN's with a E in them get treated as scientific notation numbers instead of text. I'm sure there's a setting in Excel that will ignore / fix this but I haven't bothered to try and find it just yet.

    *Edit* - I have found a "Work Around" for the PIN issues in Excel.

    You can do 1 of two things to begin with:
    1) Rename the file from .csv to .txt and then open it with Excel (If you prefer this method then you can change the file extension in the file naming step outlined above from .csv to .txt to make this automatic)
    -OR-
    2) Open a blank Workbook, select Data - Import External Data - Import Data, and then select the .csv file

    Either of these actions will result in the same behavior from this point on.

    You will then see the "Text Import Wizard" open - this is a 3 step import process.
    Step 1 - Make sure that the Radio Button for Delimited is selected
    Step 2 - In the Delimiters section make sure that Comma is the only option selected. The Text Qualifier should be a Double Quote
    Step 3 - In the Data Preview - Scroll across to the Right until you see the PIN column, select it to Highlight it, then change the Column data format from General to Text
    Click Finish and you're all set.
    Last edited by N2DFire; 02-22-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Updated / Additional Information

Posting Permissions