as much as i would luv to get the storm now when it comes out maybe i should wait a bit. the first batch of phones to hit the stores always have those little bugs in them.

Case in point didnt the iphone come out a with a new version 6mo after intial release?

what do you guys think? first batch of blackberry storms will have bugs yes no? if so would you get one upon release?

your thoughs

-yenz
    11-08-08 08:33 AM
    Waiting for new tech is a losing battle. Then in 6 months, if you just wait 6 MORE months you could get the NEXT biggest thing.

Just my opinion...
    Relletti likes this.
    11-08-08 08:35 AM
    i agree gp!! there always something better 6 months from now
    11-08-08 08:44 AM
    i agree gp!! there always something better 6 months from now
    screw it maybe i should just get it now then
    11-08-08 08:52 AM
    i'll probably get it in a year or so. i just got my curve.

......by then i'll be vip eligible.

...hopefully the bugs'll be worked out.

...i'll have heard all the reviews on it.

...it will be MUCH cheaper.

i'm not sure about the touchscreen part but i want a global blackberry with a camera.
    11-08-08 08:55 AM
    Waiting for new tech is a losing battle. Then in 6 months, if you just wait 6 MORE months you could get the NEXT biggest thing.

Just my opinion...
    I agree; just get it now....................................
    My 2cents; I will stick with this until the 2nd gen of its kind comes out.
    Or if if if the HTC Touch HD 4" screen comes to the US then hey.
    Here that u developers from RIM your 2nd gen Storm should have a 4"
    screen with wi-fi.
    We know u have your spies on this forum.
    Get the darn phone; once u go touch there aint nuthin else much.
    AKA
    S1
    11-08-08 09:30 AM
    thats why i love my NE2 fromVZW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 10:11 AM
    Having just got my Curve I will have to wait a while before getting the Storm.. RIM will fix any annoying little bugs by then and the device should ROCK
    11-08-08 10:26 AM
    the device is going to rock any ways !!!!
    11-08-08 11:42 AM

Just my opinion...
    There are just two types of tech buyers in the world. Those at the front of the curve and everyone else.
    11-08-08 11:47 AM
    yeah, i agree with all the above posters, no matter when you buy something, the chance that something better or more appealing will come out within a few months is unavoidable. When they started working on the 1st gen iphone, they were already working on the 2nd gen and currently they are working on the 3rd gen. Like GP said before its a losing battle.

so i just don't look at it that way, i only upgrade to things unless it has mass appeal, for instance if i got the storm for verizon and got it under a 2 year contract, then a year later the iphone came over to verizon (hypothetically), i would probably go over to the iphone, then wait for the next BIG thing to come out.

but its up to you. I would just get it when it comes out, and when it comes to bugs and qwerks, your gonna have that in every phone.
    11-08-08 11:48 AM
    Know who you are. If you are a first generation adopter you will pay top price with maximum hassles. Your software may not work properly. The phone may have glitches. It will take a while until all works as planned. If your current technology works for you as a whole, then you don't really need the new device. Other than a better browser and higher resolution, I'm not sure the Curve is so such a problem for most uses.
    11-08-08 12:15 PM
    What's VIP status?
    Is there some minimum monthly charge above which you can upgrade yearly? I thought a VZW store guy mentioned something like that.
    11-08-08 12:32 PM
    What's VIP status?
    Is there some minimum monthly charge above which you can upgrade yearly? I thought a VZW store guy mentioned something like that.

meaning i can upgrade after a year with a discount.

http://forums.crackberry.com/search....archid=6243165

VIP is for customers that have a monthly access of $79.99 (for the past 6 months) or higher.

Benefits are:
    Annual upgrade with $50 equipment discount
    25% off accessories
    No fees (activation fees and device iniation fees)
    Free shipping
    Proactive usage alerts
    100% credit for overage once per enrollment year
    11-08-08 12:49 PM
    what do you guys think? first batch of blackberry storms will have bugs yes no?
    There will be bugs without a doubt BUT they are more likley to be SW related and not HW related. Even if you wait for the phone to be stable then purchase you are geting the exact same phone as you would of on day one. If you want the phone get it on release then upgrade the OS as patches are released and you will be fine.

Now if you are thinking you will want the gen2 of the phone then wait. Rumors say as early as Q2. I would think it will be more around this time next year for the V2 storm. But if you wait for V2 then they will have a V3 a year after that. So, like others have said, trying to stay bleeding edge is near impossiable unless you have $500 - $700 to spend every 6 months or so on the latest dodad.
    11-08-08 12:50 PM
    I may wait a month or so ONLY to see if there's any legs to the Vodafone VP's statement that wifi would come to the Storm. Of course, it may on Vodafone but never on Verizon.

11-08-08 12:50 PM
    I may wait a month or so ONLY to see if there's any legs to the Vodafone VP's statement that wifi would come to the Storm. Of course, it may on Vodafone but never on Verizon.

There is no wifi hardware in the Storm. It doesn't matter what model you have, it just does not exist in the device. Waiting one month won't make the hardware for wifi magically appear inside the device. Until RIM adds the wifi to a future hardware revision of the Storm it won't happen, this isn't something software can "fix".
    11-08-08 01:10 PM
    I have thought this as well but you need to ask yourself this question:

How bad do you want it?
    Does it matter that if there is a problem you will be a refurbished one after 30 days?

I hate refurb stuff, don't ask why I don't know. i am walking around with a pink pearl that I got in Feb 08 that acts weird and they have told me to exchange and get a refurb but I dont like them Id rather buy a new phone lol!!
    So it's according to the person. I understand the way it will work but am still going to get it and take that chance and hopefully I will not be disappointed. good luck in what you do.
    11-08-08 05:04 PM
    There is no wifi hardware in the Storm...
    Right, I understand that. I meant if updated hardware is gonna appear 6 months after initial release, I'd be tempted to wait. But I highly doubt VZ would permit wifi and gps on the phone.

11-08-08 05:26 PM
    well regradless i have to wait until april cause that when my att contract up and then i will go to verizon
    11-08-08 05:51 PM
    well, I'm definitely registered at myverizon. I've gotta check my basic voice plan. I may be able to switch to the premium family package so my son and I can have internet (he already does). We already have unlimited family text messaging. I've gotta make sure I'm not overpaying by having some of these things "a la carte". Then, if a better phone comes along within a year, I can get it.

Guess the more frequent upgrade only applies to the primary number, right?

Seems like my son will be next, especially if a good touchscreen comes out to replace his Voyager.
    11-09-08 02:02 PM

I saw here or in a video or somewhere that verizon requested no wifi.....that makes people HAVE to pay for data plans so it makes sense. ATT loses money by having wifi IMO......

I doubt wifi ever makes it to a verizon phone.
    11-09-08 02:32 PM
    The closer the release date the more I'm asking myself if I should just wait it out for a bit, possibly getting another model. My Treo is cool but I don't really use the touch screen and getting POP email has not been successful. All I want is something that'll keep me in my email loops, allow me to edit documents I receive, create documents and get to the Internet access...that's it.
    11-09-08 02:42 PM
    BB Storm (even without using it yet) >>>>>>>> Treo

you could probably say that about almost any BB. Treo was solid for it's time, but it never really got expanded.
    11-09-08 02:44 PM
    The closer the release date the more I'm asking myself if I should just wait it out for a bit, possibly getting another model. My Treo is cool but I don't really use the touch screen and getting POP email has not been successful. All I want is something that'll keep me in my email loops, allow me to edit documents I receive, create documents and get to the Internet access...that's it.
    I'm going to jump right in and get it right away and get rid of my Treo. I think you'll really like the touch screen when you start using it (with the Treo you don't need to use the touch screen that much while you'll be forced to on the Storm....obviously).

As for POP email on the Treo, I agree that it blows big time. My push email with MS exchange server works just fine but the POP is not good at all.

As early adopters VZW is, imo, will take care of us.
    11-09-08 02:51 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD