I've been lurking/occasionally posting on crackberry for the past 2 or 3 weeks, reading as much as I can about my long awaited Storm in a couple days. My number one concern is the inconsistancy ive noticed between users for the .83 upgrade. On paper, it sounds like a fantastic upgrade. A faster accelerometer, somewhat faster browsing speed, etc. I've read the big sticky on how to correctly upgrade it, but I still see people saying both that they have it and it works great, and also that they installed it only to find it buggy as all ****. Whats going on? Is it the individual phones? User stupidity? Missing a step in upgrading correctly? I'm real confused about the cause of this issue. Regardless, I'm totally excited to be joining you guys a in a few days!
    12-24-08 01:35 AM
    It is not an official release.
    Unofficial Release = Bugs
    .75 is the most recent official release
    12-24-08 01:37 AM
    DITTO! Couldnt be stated anymore clearly than that!!
    12-24-08 01:41 AM
    I think people are just updating wrong. .83 is running awesome for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 01:42 AM
    DITTO! Couldnt be stated anymore clearly than that!!
    I can't find the sticky right now, but someone asked something similar to what I did and the person who made the sticky (post on how to correctly update .83) said that beta and final release make no difference. Why download a possibly buggy OS?
    12-24-08 01:45 AM
    I can't find the sticky right now, but someone asked something similar to what I did and the person who made the sticky (post on how to correctly update .83) said that beta and final release make no difference. Why download a possibly buggy OS?
    Thats true in the sense that .75 was a "beta" at one point and became "official" when Verizon decided it was stable enough to be released to the public. However not all "beta" versions will ever be a final release. IMO, .83 will never be a final release and it will always remain a beta version. It has way too many bugs to be distributed to the public. Yes I understand a handful of people love .83 and have only good things to say about it, but even if less than 50% of people have really bad experiences with it (myself included) it would never be released publicly.
    12-24-08 01:56 AM
    Thats true in the sense that .75 was a "beta" at one point and became "official" when Verizon decided it was stable enough to be released to the public. However not all "beta" versions will ever be a final release. IMO, .83 will never be a final release and it will always remain a beta version. It has way too many bugs to be distributed to the public. Yes I understand a handful of people love .83 and have only good things to say about it, but even if less than 50% of people have really bad experiences with it (myself included) it would never be released publicly.
    How long ago was .75 released officially to the public? And how often do updates release usually? (Inconsistant time frame, I know, but timeframe estimate?)
    12-24-08 01:59 AM
    yes. .83 is not a perfect. but I cant say the couple battery pulls are worth all the commotion on here... No one forced any of us to do it... regardless of the OS the phone is AWESOME... my phone is sweet with the .83 ( minus the battery pulls which havent been toooo many ) and it was sweet with the .75

I upgraded as a project for myself over winter break and because i wanted to enjoy the benefits of an upgrade early

cant say Ive been too disappointed
    12-24-08 04:04 AM
    For starters I think the big thing (overall) with the Storm is some peoples expectations went way overboard. This is not a power user phone...and I personally went into getting it for myself and my gf knowing that and knowing I wouldn't be typing out 3 paragraph emails on it. That's what my WORK Curve 8330 is for and the 7250 before that. Does the "keyboard" take some getting used to? Yes...and it took me about 2 days, now I type like a champ in Suretype. ****, with my Voyager (which the Storm replaced) I would rarely flip it open because I couldn't use it's QWERTY .vs my Curve.

Other gripes I have seen people post of have to do specifically with the .83 upgrade...and odds are it's on their end. Those of us who did DL and install it and are happy with it all installed the SAME FILE as those who can't get past the splash screen. I would think that spook issues on some peoples phones have to do with other things such as 3rd party apps or not closing out apps that basically stay TSR in the phone memory.
    12-24-08 05:35 AM
    I think people are just updating wrong. .83 is running awesome for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Aside from a few minor annoyances, it was running awesome for me as well.

I didn't like the lingering tone of a key press in the phone app.

I also didn't like how when in certain menus everytime I tough an option -- not click one -- it would stay highlighted blue. This wouldn't prevent me from doing anything, but It didn't seem right. Or maybe that was just some feature that I simply wasn't aware of.

The media player improvements were fantastic and the speed up all around was great. The memory management was very good. .83 is a fantastic sign for where the storm is headed.

I don't know onstageone, I would definitely classify this as a power user phone. It's just one of those power user phones where the software isn't caught up to the hardware, and even considering that, it's still a great device. I type about as fast on this as any other BlackBerry I've tried. This is the first I've officially owned though of course.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 12-24-08 at 06:21 AM.
    12-24-08 06:17 AM
    How long ago was .75 released officially to the public? And how often do updates release usually? (Inconsistant time frame, I know, but timeframe estimate?)
    The official .75 was released on 12-05-08 i believe. But for regular updates... between .75 and .83 leak it wasn't even 2 weeks. I am a first time BlackBerry user and pretty impressed with how fast RIM releases updates.

But to answer the original post... after reading a lot of posts, and depending on the specific situation, i'm pretty sure the problems occur from mixture of everything you mentioned.

For the most part i've noticed it's a hit or miss for some people with updates as far as bugs go. I've updated two storms; installed same programs, apps, and used the exact same installation method... each yielding different results. The friend will sometimes call telling me the latest problem he's having and i will test out what he mentions, but won't have any problems on my storm with whatever specific problem he is having. So some stuff im having problems with he isnt... vice-versa.

Also, sometimes when i plug my phone into the PC, my wireless network just turns off. Thats probably the weirdest bug i've noticed with .83 that i haven't seen posted anywhere on the forums.
    12-24-08 09:58 AM
    .83 IS in fact an official release and has been for about a 4 days .75 is the previous release. Just because VZW hasn't distributed it yet makes little difference. RIM is the manufature of our phones- NOT VZW. I would trust RIM way before I trusted VZW (heck! just call their customer support...there's even a guy that posts on here who WORKS customer service with VZW and he even said that other CSR's cringe when they take a blackberry call)

ALSO- keep in mind- a LEAKED version usually is the official version- it's NOT a BETA- otherwise it would say it was a Beta. Beta's are typically buggy- hence them being a beta- thats where they learn of the bugs and work them out.

Anyhow- if you need further proof- go to RIM's upgrade site.

BlackBerry Storm

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by DallasinPcola; 12-24-08 at 10:07 AM. Reason: because I have OCD
    12-24-08 10:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD