So I have had my Storm for 3 days. The first thing I noticed is how slow it is. So I get on this wonderful forum and start searching and reading all the threads about memory leaking, how to gain more app memory, ect.

When I first started the symptoms were just a very sluggish operation. When going from portrait to landscape or vise verca it would take upwards of 10 seconds. same with trying to open folders. Everything was just very lagged.

the apps I had installed were all stock, no other language but english,
    IBerry theme
    ipod lock slider app
    berryWars game
    facebook,
    meter berry.

All icons were on the desktop and my memory ussage was staying pretty stable at 42~mb

Now this is weird because it should NOT be super sluggish at 42 MBs. I did the whole battery pull and still had a pretty high app memory but very sluggish.

Then I put all the icons on the desktop I didnt need and put them in the app folder. now the only icons i have are:

browser
    BB mesanger
    App
    games
    DLs
    Setup.

This should theoretically make it faster, yea? Well it did. A lot faster. it was moving from portrait to landscape instantly, apps were blazing fast, ect. I opened up meterberry, and now my app memory is DOWN to about 30mb. Thats right, I went from being sluggish at 42mn go blazing fast with only 30mb.

I pulled the battery, refreshed the meterberry reading and it was still super fast but with only 30~mb of app space.

How Can I go from more app mem and being slow to less app memory and being fast???

P.S. This forum cesors the word 8utt???
    07-05-09 05:50 PM
    app memory and sluggishness dont always have to relate to each other. Some themes make it run like crap over the default theme and they can eat memory too.

Even though you think you gained speed just by putting the icons in folders and such, its mostly coincidence, it will improve a couple milliseconds but that is about it.
    07-05-09 05:58 PM
    I'm not sure about the high memory and being sluggish, but I know there are different factors that can help speed up your phone. You've already done one of theme which is basically clean up your homescreen. Although it's debatable whether this really helps or not, in your case it obviously helps. Another thing that can help is having the latest software. I know that .148 has an awesome memory management system which helps keep your phone from running slow and keeps the memory from leaking so badly. Honestly, don't worry so much about the memory, just keep an eye on how the phone itself is running and when it starts getting slow, check to see if you have any programs running in the background and close them, or perform a battery pull. Hopefully some of this helps with your questions. And, welcome to CB!
    07-05-09 06:03 PM
    app memory and sluggishness dont always have to relate to each other. Some themes make it run like crap over the default theme and they can eat memory too.

Even though you think you gained speed just by putting the icons in folders and such, its mostly coincidence, it will improve a couple milliseconds but that is about it.
    What up man, I have read a LOT of your posts so and I know you know your **** but for the past 3 days there has not been a single moment that it wast realy realy effin slow.

Now as soon as I put all the icons in a folder it sped up a lot.

What else could have happened? again, not saying your wrong but why all the sudden does it work like a phone is supposed to work. for the past 3/ first 3 days i had this phone it really sucked. it was like every service on the phone was like you were surfing the web with a 56k modem. Thats what it felt like.

thanks for the advice bro.

EDIT Thanks for the advice amavit!
    07-05-09 06:05 PM
    No problem...I hope you get your phone up to the standard you want it to be. I know I get frustrated when mine slows down and you have to sit there and wait for it to respond again. One thing this phone has taught me is patience lol
    07-05-09 06:09 PM
    LOL this thread will be real easy to find with that title.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD