You lucked out srg1226. I spoke with a CS @ Verizon and he explained that there are units that are sent back to RIM from Verizon when it doesn't pass a testing. It is reshipped in only a brown box. On this site, there is a thread about receiving one in a white box, which is a full refurb. My new one replace my five week old phone. By far it has a major improvement over the last ones click problems. I updated it back to .85, and 98% smooth from here.
    Depending on the stores, I have friends who went back and got lucky and the store gave them a whole new unit. Some stores will the warehouse and have them ship a 'new' unit to you. Its a Gamble~

Another CS rep also told me, that Verizon gets alot of refurbs...the shells are NEW and simple to replace. The insides are refurbs and tested. Maybe mine is a full refurb...(sent to someone and back).

The luckiest ones are the ones who get a WHOLE NEW unit with the accessories! But if you are like me, 5th week into it, change for a new one soon...rather that questioning yourself if you have a refurb unit.

good luck!
    01-12-09 09:22 PM
    I always just returned mine to the store. On my last return I pulled the sd card and kept it as a little gift to myself for the hassel of having to exchange for a third phone in 2 weeks. both my replacements were brand new with everything included straight out of their stock in the store.
    01-12-09 09:30 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD