Is there anyway to get free tethering? $30/month feels a little steep for something i wont use ALL the time..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 01:49 PM
    not that I know of, but you are right about the $30 being to steep. Especially after paying for the data plan.
    02-01-09 01:57 PM
    You can always call up VZW CS and see if they have a pay-as-you-go tethering option. You'll likely pay quite a steep price per MB, but it might work out to be less than $30/mo if you just want to use it once or twice a month in an airport or something. Assuming they have such a thing.
    02-01-09 01:58 PM
    they have no other option... however the service plan can be added and removed as needed by calling thier CS... the cost (in that case) will be pro-rated...
    02-01-09 02:05 PM
    What's tethering?

02-01-09 02:05 PM
    MobiShark.com i believe its a 50 dollar one time fee. Smooth Sailing from there on out. Ive heard nothing but good reviews
    02-01-09 02:06 PM
    they have no other option... however the service plan can be added and removed as needed by calling thier CS... the cost (in that case) will be pro-rated...
    as would the data allowance, too. even the tethering has a 5GB allowance, then .25/MB thereafter.
    02-01-09 02:52 PM
    MobiShark.com i believe its a 50 dollar one time fee. Smooth Sailing from there on out. Ive heard nothing but good reviews
    Wow! Any one else try or hear of this?? That looks great??

02-01-09 03:11 PM
    There are two data plans for the storm:

$29.99 - Standard BB Data Plan (Tethering Not Included)

$44.99 - BB Data Plan (Tethering Included)

Your forced to get one and if that one is the standard BB data plan, you can't remove it.
    02-01-09 03:17 PM
    Not an intelligent investment. I can't even count how many accounts i've suspended or charged for the tethered use. (Without having the appropriate data plan.)
    02-01-09 03:20 PM
    Not an intelligent investment. I can't even count how many accounts i've suspended or charged for the tethered use. (Without having the appropriate data plan.)
    meanie....
    02-01-09 03:51 PM

it really depends on your usage, i haven't heard of many people getting there accounts suspended with mobishark, MobiShark works 100% i have it, and ive had it for awhile, never a problem, being that theres a 5GB limit each month you need to use MobiShark as if your not tethering, its fine for surfing the web, but if ur watching movies on youtube and/or downloading torrents you might run into trouble.

but MobiShark isn't for everyone, just to clarify IT WORKS flawlessly.
    02-01-09 03:51 PM
    Wow! Any one else try or hear of this?? That looks great??

i have it, it works great, its exactly what you are looking for, just know that you are still using Verizons network without paying them so there is a chance that you may get charged from them. Ive been using it for awhile and i know people on these forums as well as friends who have bought mobi shark and use it often and haven't had any problems. So its up to you when you get it if your stupid or smart about it. But well worth the investment
    02-01-09 03:53 PM
    I also use mobishark and have no problems with it. I had a few troubles getting it set up correctly but if you go to there site they have techs that help you set it up for free online.
    02-01-09 04:07 PM

Your forced to get one and if that one is the standard BB data plan, you can't remove it.
    I don't mean to argue with a VZW guy but this is incorrect. The BB Data Plan for $44.99 does not include tethering, tethering is an additional $15 for this plan. $44.99 just gets you a BES data plan not tethering. By design VZW has always priced tethering so that the total data plan costs = the costs of using a computer card, thus $29.99 + $30 = $59.99 and $44.99 + $15 = $59.99.
    02-01-09 04:55 PM
    There is no free tethering from Verizon. The extra $30 is still cheaper than $59.99 extra per month for a 5GB plan on an air card.

$29.99 data plan + $30 for tether = $59.99
    $29.99 data plan + $59.99 5GB air car plan = $89.98
    02-01-09 05:06 PM
    Hey guys, on this Mobishark thing: can you give some details on how it works? i ask 'cos i tethered my Storm the other day using the data APN (which is not part of my plan), then Vodafone called me saying not to do that anylonger, that they will waive the Euro 250 that i've hit for downloading 130mb (it happened to be one leaked storm OS) but that i should not use that APN (web.vodafone.de) and should only use the 2 which are free on my plan (blackberry.net and wap.vodafone.de). so, will MobiShark make use of any APN that is not my standard/free one? sorry but i am very interested on this app but need to be sure before spending my sweat money on that.
    thanks!
    02-01-09 05:11 PM
    I called them and was told it was going to be another 15 on top of the 30 I pay to tether my phone

02-01-09 05:45 PM
    Tethering is basically attaching your Storm to a computer (usually a laptop) and using it as a MoDem - so you can access the internet on the computer.

What's tethering?

02-01-09 06:09 PM
    out of curiosity, i downloaded mobishark, and it works great. the internet in my classrooms at school is independently controlled by the podium computer, which in turn is controlled by the professor. they tend to turn it off, but now, through bluetooth, and my phone in my pocket, i can keep on chatting through boring lectures!
    02-01-09 06:27 PM
    To avoid any further confusion, the rates for tethering will always work out to $59.99.

BB Email & Web @ $29.99 + BBA Connect 5GB @ $30.00 = $59.99
    BB Corp @ 44.99 + BBA Connect @ $15 = $59.99

The tethering plan is different depending on which data plan you are on.
    02-01-09 06:37 PM

That Is half right. $29.99 is bis. $44.99 is Bes. To have a berry AND tether will total $59.99 so bes is $15 and bis is $30 more

02-01-09 07:19 PM
    I'm told mobishark is much slower than vzw tethering, BUT if your needs are light then you probably wouldn't mind.

02-01-09 07:26 PM
    I'm told mobishark is much slower than vzw tethering, BUT if your needs are light then you probably wouldn't mind.

it depends what your connecting through, whether is bluetooth or if your doing a direct connect with USB, i don't see why there would be a difference, the transfer speeds i get with mobishark are quite good. ive never used VZW Tethering though.
    02-02-09 08:46 AM
    out of curiosity, i downloaded mobishark, and it works great. the internet in my classrooms at school is independently controlled by the podium computer, which in turn is controlled by the professor. they tend to turn it off, but now, through bluetooth, and my phone in my pocket, i can keep on chatting through boring lectures!
    i used to uhave a professor who did that. to solve the no interment problem i just grabbed the network cable and plugged it into my laptop. usualy when a professor will loke the computers in a rook he stops you from loging onto their server, therefor if you are logged into you laptop you then are jusat tapping into the network via hard cable inwhich you wouldnt need to sign in.
    02-02-09 09:27 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD