with the lack of flash, is youtube unwatchable?
    is there a youtube app?
    is it possible to add flash support later?
    also...if i do not have a ne2 until january, will i have to pay retail?
    or can i just sign a new 2 year contract and get that price?

thanks in advance
    10-09-08 12:03 AM
    Yeah, we just need Adobe to make flash for it. We all need to keep bugging them..
    10-09-08 12:07 AM
    with the lack of flash, is youtube unwatchable?
    is there a youtube app?
    is it possible to add flash support later?
    also...if i do not have a ne2 until january, will i have to pay retail?
    or can i just sign a new 2 year contract and get that price?

thanks in advance
    if your ne2 is in jan they may be able to work with you to get it earlier.
    10-09-08 12:13 AM
    OS4.5 doesn't have Flash either, but YouTube works. You just need to hit the mobile site.
    10-09-08 12:18 AM
    Youtube doesn't work on my buddies 1st gen AT&T pearl, but it works on my LG Glimmer..............
    10-09-08 09:43 AM
    TinyTube: Mobile Video - Welcome! is your friend

It converts streaming video sites to be useable on your Berry. Veoh, Youtube, Google included!
    10-09-08 09:45 AM
    OS4.5 doesn't have Flash either, but YouTube works. You just need to hit the mobile site.
    I use YOUBTUBE all day long when im bored at work on my pearl.
    I am running 4.5.0.66 im pretty sure.
    10-09-08 09:55 AM
    mobile youtube should work on the storm, it works on other newer blackberries already.
    10-09-08 10:00 AM
    I have Skyfire on my 6800. it would be nice if they develop it for Blackberry. I will miss Skyfire when I go to the Storm.
    10-09-08 10:26 AM
    I have Skyfire on my 6800. it would be nice if they develop it for Blackberry. I will miss Skyfire when I go to the Storm.
    I love Skyfire myself! It's been said that they are considering making it compatible with the blackberry. I am sure when the storm releases, they will look more into it.
    10-09-08 10:30 AM
    mobile youtube should work on the storm, it works on other newer blackberries already.
    But will it be that teeny tiny little 1x1 inch square when it plays. That will look really lame on the big Storm screen.
    10-09-08 10:34 AM
    I use YOUBTUBE all day long when im bored at work on my pearl.
    I am running 4.5.0.66 im pretty sure.
    I think you missed my point. I was simply stating that OS4.5 doesn't have Flash, which it doesn't. But the RTSP streaming that the mobile YouTube site does works... with any OS that's 4.3 or higher.
    10-09-08 10:39 AM
    YouTube works via m.youtube.com. It automatically launches the Media Player and switches to landscape mode - the video can be watched full-screen or "less than full screen". In the less than full screen mode, the video takes up the top 2/3rd of the screen and the media controls are along the bottom.

Quality on an EDGE network is what you'd expect - iffy at best.
    10-09-08 10:42 AM
    Can you post a screenshot so we get an exact idea of how big the video fits the screen? Do it both portrait and landscape please. That would be super awesome.
    10-09-08 10:45 AM
    Can you post a screenshot so we get an exact idea of how big the video fits the screen? Do it both portrait and landscape please. That would be super awesome.
    Not sure yet how to grab a screenshot - but the screen itself is 4:3 (in landscape mode), so the video takes up the entire screen (assuming it's from a 4:3 source).

Also, as far as I can tell you can't view videos in portrait mode.
    10-09-08 10:49 AM
    i wish that adobe would write a flash for BB so that i can hulu

but then again no wifi
    10-09-08 10:49 AM
    I can't quote for the blackberry. But the LG dare does it in portrait and landscape, so for the love of all things holy I hope the Storm would.

On the Dare it looks as good as you can get it. Similar to the same quality you would receive on a computer, but in a smaller format.

Also again, not plugging sorry just offering a solution, TinyTube: Mobile Video - Welcome! , will give you youtube, and the choice to stream in low quality or high quality, which is a nice option!
    10-09-08 10:51 AM
    Not sure yet how to grab a screenshot - but the screen itself is 4:3 (in landscape mode), so the video takes up the entire screen (assuming it's from a 4:3 source).

You could just take a pic of the phone. lol

That's weird, you should be able to view videos in portrait. Just don't turn it sideways and it should work. It shows that in ad videos all over the place. Weird if it doesn't.
    10-09-08 10:59 AM

Are you doing this in the simulator? Because m.youtube.com does not launch videos for me.
    10-09-08 11:12 AM
    Are you doing this in the simulator? Because m.youtube.com does not launch videos for me.
    No I'm doing it on the device itself - and I tried again and there's no way to view videos in portrait mode, at least in this software build.
    10-09-08 12:47 PM
    No I'm doing it on the device itself - and I tried again and there's no way to view videos in portrait mode, at least in this software build.
    It won't launch any videos in portrait mode? Does it play in the browser or does it launch the video player like on the older BB's?

BTW, try http://www.blueapple.mobi/ I prefer it to mobile youtube since it includes youtube's selection plus more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 12:53 PM
    I started a thread in the Adobe forums in support of a Flash player for Blackberry Storm.

PETITION FOR FLASH PLAYER

Flash Player Petition

If you want one, let your voice be heard!
    10-09-08 01:02 PM
    My guess is that Opera Mobile, which already supports flash for WinMo devices, will be developed to work on the Storm.

EDIT: Opera Mobile uses Flash Lite 2.1 I believe to accomplish this. If RIM wanted to, they could have built Flash Lite into their browser. I think the petition should have gone to RIM.
    Last edited by notabun; 10-09-08 at 01:08 PM.
    10-09-08 01:05 PM
    It won't launch any videos in portrait mode? Does it play in the browser or does it launch the video player like on the older BB's?
    It doesn't play it from within the browser - launches a video application.

And I tried blueapple mobi - same thing, the links to Youtube videos just open up the video application.
    10-09-08 01:48 PM
    It doesn't play it from within the browser - launches a video application.

And I tried blueapple mobi - same thing, the links to Youtube videos just open up the video application.
    Would be disappointing but not a deal breaker. I only watch stuff in landscape mode anyways. Chances are the only reason I will be in portrait mode for anything will be while driving/texting. Which I hopefully won't be doing because of Vlingo, which I have used oh so much for some time.
    10-09-08 01:50 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD