Ok,

Been using a curve for 12 months, contract ran out end of October so I decided to wait for the Storm. I picked it up at 1.00 and was immediately impressed!! The screen was awesome, the typing was easy and much better than my friends iPhone and I was very happy. It is now 11:30 and will be swapping it in for the Bold on Monday!!

I tell lots of people the difference between an iPhone user and a blackberry user is simple, after the first month the iPhone user knows his is better and the BB user is pretty happy - but after 12 months the iPhone user is finding problems and trying to justify the "sexy" interface as a reason for putting up with the problems where as the BB user's life has changed because of the shear usefulness of the BB - they have experienced the best.

Sadly, while I think many people will love the storm, it is a great product to hold and I think blows the iPhone away - I actually want to take the SIM out and put it back in my Curve. Thankfully, over here in the UK, not only did we get it first, but we have 14 days to return - if you have the same where you are I strongly suggest you try the storm - it is very impressive, but know where you can get your BOLD from when you realise it is not for you!!

Sorry BB - Great product, just not for me!!

Simeon.
    11-14-08 05:39 PM
    i dont get it ... you loved it, but dont want it?

11-14-08 05:41 PM
    so.....why are u taking back?
    11-14-08 05:41 PM
    more politely put:

why do you prefer the Bold to the Storm.
    11-14-08 05:43 PM
    Too slow in overall operation, plus it has already frozen on me a few times saying input screen problems.

Then when you try to scroll down on things like accepting licenses it is a major pain - took me ages to try and install the navigator.

Overal very unresponsive - feels nice in the hand, but is not small. Plus there is a tiny gap around the screen, and I think it will get dirty and stop working pretty quick.

The curve just works fantastically - all the time - the iphone/storm are exciting, but a bit "bleeding Edge technology"

Don't get me wrong, the touch and click is very good and works much better than my friends iPhone IMO - but I think I would get annoyed - I expect my phone to work!!

Afterall, to me it is a phone first, diary/address book second and toy third.
    11-14-08 05:46 PM
    lol? What?
    11-14-08 05:48 PM
    I think for business it does not work - I need it to be instant (or almost, like my curve) but for home use I think the Storm will be loved by many.

Sorry I am not being helpful, the more I think about it, I am struggling to articulate what is wrong with it, but I know it will annoy me before the 18 month contract is up!

It is late here and I am knackered I'll have another go at describing it soon.

Simeon.
    11-14-08 05:52 PM
    Is anyone else confused here?
    11-14-08 05:53 PM
    Too slow in overall operation, plus it has already frozen on me a few times saying input screen problems.

Then when you try to scroll down on things like accepting licenses it is a major pain - took me ages to try and install the navigator.

Overal very unresponsive - feels nice in the hand, but is not small. Plus there is a tiny gap around the screen, and I think it will get dirty and stop working pretty quick.

The curve just works fantastically - all the time - the iphone/storm are exciting, but a bit "bleeding Edge technology"

Don't get me wrong, the touch and click is very good and works much better than my friends iPhone IMO - but I think I would get annoyed - I expect my phone to work!!

Afterall, to me it is a phone first, diary/address book second and toy third.
    If you compare it to a Bold it is small. Also, the unresponsiveness you speak of can and will be fixed with software upgrades. Remember just like the Bold, this was rushed to market. But the newer builds are more responsive, much more so than what you have now. Just look back to earlier versions and compare to .65. That being said, I said a long time ago this device isn't for everybody. But if it's not quite snappy enough for you, you could wait just a bit, as there are already a few newer builds than .65. If not, enjoy your Bold.
    11-14-08 05:53 PM
    I think for business it does not work - I need it to be instant (or almost, like my curve) but for home use I think the Storm will be loved by many.

Sorry I am not being helpful, the more I think about it, I am struggling to articulate what is wrong with it, but I know it will annoy me before the 18 month contract is up!

Simeon.
    i would expect it to function very similar to the curve (speed wise), otherwise i would consider it a step backward in performance. no?

touch screen is all good and fun, but if its not going to scream through apps and functions, it will have overall bad reviews a lot more than what we are seeing so far

edit: everyone is going to say lets see what he software updates will do for fixing these issues ... i will be waiting for them to be fixed prior to purchase, im not going to buy a phone that needs repair out of the box
    11-14-08 05:54 PM
    yep i am lol,
    im trading my bold in for the storm, but do have that 14 days return policy, so all is good

im sure i will love it !
    11-14-08 05:55 PM

Simeon.

Thanx for the honest opinion Simeon....
    11-14-08 05:57 PM
    Sorry guys, just trying to be realistic - I'll play a bit longer and see if I change my mind.
    11-14-08 06:01 PM
    Sorry guys, just trying to be realistic - I'll play a bit longer and see if I change my mind.
    what OS are you on? sorry if i missed it ...
    11-14-08 06:03 PM
    Hmmm, the gap worries me somewhat. But hey, insurance. =)
    11-14-08 06:07 PM
    Hey pay no mind to some people if YOU are not happy with the phone then YOU take it back and get a phone that you feel will be better. Some people need to remember that you got it for YOU not THEM.
    When they get the storm then they can sit there and say how great it is or is not but until then they need to understand that you are just telling them that for YOU the storm does not cut it ..
    Hope you have better luck with the BOLD ..
    11-14-08 06:08 PM
    I understand what you mean. I've not seen the Storm yet (mines at the post office and will pick it up in 8 hours) but if you feel like the phone isnt going to do what you want it to do, then it doesnt matter how pretty it is, it can go. I thought the iphone was pretty and wanted it desperately until i actually tried it and recognised it wouldnt work with my nails! . I might find the same with my Storm but if you dont try it you dont know. So respect to you Sherbert for not accepting something just cos everyone wants it.
    11-14-08 06:12 PM
    the storm is awesome
    11-14-08 06:24 PM
    As someone who got their Storm today I can relate to what you're saying Sherbert, the gap around the screen can be a bit daunting (must remember to take the leather holder everywhere I go!!) and the comments regarding the sluggishness of the OS. However I found uninstalling the Vodafone Live! sofware (which runs in the background) made a HUGE improvement to the speed and stability of the OS. Might be worth trying that before you swap it out for a Bold

GlenJ
    11-14-08 06:39 PM
    Sherbert, can you tell us what version of the firmware is on the phone? I'm wondering what version the Voda was shipped with because I also wonder what version the Verizon Storm will ship with and perhaps how many revisions were released between the Voda and Verizon version.

EDIT: Perhaps CX, you can help us with this. I know you're behind an NDA and you mentioned that you can't talk about it until it is released, but it is released in the UK so does that mean you can talk more about it?
    11-14-08 06:56 PM
    Sherbert, can you tell us what version of the firmware is on the phone? I'm wondering what version the Voda was shipped with because I also wonder what version the Verizon Storm will ship with and perhaps how many revisions were released between the Voda and Verizon version.
    .65 was shipped with the Vodaphone versions.
    11-14-08 06:57 PM
    I haven't gotten the phone yet but I did play with the dummie phone a bit at the Storm Grab yesterday.

Yes there is a slight gap it's for the click screen functionallity it's almost like the screen is one big button (the best I could compare it to) This concerned me a bit in regards to breaking it but i figured i'll wait to try it on a live version and with the case. VZW has a 30day return so i'll play with it for 29 days and if i don't like take it back for my 2nd runner-up.

But this review is very helpful, Thank you. i for one like to hear the good bad and the ugly.
    11-14-08 06:59 PM
    Check out my post with pics overall happy with the strom I just played with Camera quality was impressive.....
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/storm-indiana-94959/
    11-14-08 07:11 PM
    As someone who got their Storm today I can relate to what you're saying Sherbert, the gap around the screen can be a bit daunting (must remember to take the leather holder everywhere I go!!) and the comments regarding the sluggishness of the OS. However I found uninstalling the Vodafone Live! sofware (which runs in the background) made a HUGE improvement to the speed and stability of the OS. Might be worth trying that before you swap it out for a Bold

GlenJ
    Hmmm, Imagine that. A vendor loading crapware on something and it slowing it down. Thank goodness it can be uninstalled. Here's hoping Verizon doesn't do the same and if they do that it will work well, and if it doesn't, it can be uninstalled.
    11-14-08 07:17 PM

GlenJ
    I hope a lot of people don't get frustrated thinking its a bad device when its a sluggish carrier add on.
    Causing the issue
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 07:25 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD