Yep you heard it. My storm is broken. Got to the Verizon store an hour before opening this morning and was fourth in line.

Went in and got my Storm and had a very slow Service Rep. She of course wanted to take me and show me all the accessories and crap. I was only interested in a case and picked out the leather (pleather?) holster case. We went back and she kept trying to transfer my contacts from my old bb to my new storm. Kept having problems...their system was crashing...probably due to my 3000+ contacts (yikes). So meanwhile everyone that came in after me had already received their phones and had left...stick with me here.

She finally finishes up and puts my new storm in the holster before handing it to me. As up until now she hadn't really been too careful with my phone so I was watching her closely and noticed that when she was sliding it into the case she seemed to be encountering a bit of resistance. She then used a bit of force and crammed it in.

I didn't really think a whole lot of it until I was leaving. Got into my truck and pulled the phone out of the holster. I looked down and my blood pressure instantly went through the roof. The red End button was folded back onto the screen. Somehow, not really sure if it was the service reps fault or maybe the key wasn't glued down well enough from the factory, but either way my brand new 2 minute old Storm was already broken.

Went back into the store and guess what...they are ALL OUT of the storm. So not only did that rep mess up my new phone, but because she took so much damn time trying to upsell me on accessories, they sold out of phones so I couldn't get a quick replacement.

The manager apologized and they are letting me keep the broken one until they can get a new one overnighted to the store to replace this one. I carefully put the key back in place and so far it has been holding. I am definitely being over cautious now and the thought of the broken key will always be present with me.

Besides this big mess this morning, I absolutely LOVE this phone. Great piece of equipment.
    11-21-08 09:48 PM
    thats sucks man .. good luck !
    11-21-08 09:50 PM
    You'll have to fight it out with the guy who dropped his down the stairs today to see which one was broken first.

He posted here some time today.
    11-21-08 09:51 PM
    I thought the buttons were a bit cheapy feeling...hope they fix the bugs and speed it up..it will be great then i thinkk...
    11-21-08 09:55 PM
    Dude, that sucks. I know what your saying about slow-*** reps. I watched this one spend an hour with one flipping guy. I wanted to go smack her on her back to see if she was stuck in some sort of slow motion mode. Anyway, that totally sucks. Not only was she slow as ****, but she violated your phone.
    11-21-08 09:58 PM
    Take pics please. None of you that seem to pop these buttons off are taking any pics of the damage. What do I have to do, pop some off and take my own damn pics?
    11-21-08 11:23 PM
    I think you are actually the 2nd person, I believe someone dropped theirs on concrete already..lol. At least the manager didn't try and blame the break on you.
    11-21-08 11:25 PM
    After the UK peps reported the sleeve blowing off buttons, i DID NOT attempt to use one. I had an 8830 that had a sleeve with a nasty fold-over clasp (im sure you 8830 owners know), i ripped off the flap clasp and slide my storm upside down to protect the buttons and still use the sleep function. a good quick fix to those to converted.
    11-21-08 11:32 PM
    They must give all the ******* the job of transfering over contacts because the lady that dealt with me today couldnt get it figured out either. She asked me for my password on my 8830 atleast 6 times. The damn password is 1234 how can she not remember? I finally told her to forget it and that I would transfer them myself when I get home.
    11-21-08 11:38 PM
    You'll have to fight it out with the guy who dropped his down the stairs today to see which one was broken first.

He posted here some time today.
    Haven't seen his post yet. Mine was broken before I left the Verizon store...probably around 7:45 AM Central time yesterday.
    11-22-08 11:16 AM
    Take pics please. None of you that seem to pop these buttons off are taking any pics of the damage. What do I have to do, pop some off and take my own damn pics?
    Since it happened at the Verizon store I didn't have a camera available to take a picture. The manager pressed the key back into place...looks like it is just held on with some glue and it hasn't came loose since. I have been babying it so I can at least use this ONE before my replacement arrives. Soooo, I am not going to pull that button loose again now.
    11-22-08 11:20 AM
    Dang civic, are you just gunning for pics of things gone wrong? You need more pics of the gap also?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 11:53 AM
    I'm kind of glad I'm getting my phone on Monday instead of Friday when waiting in line. The customer service reps looked like they knew nothing about how the phone worked and so instead of them possibly jacking up my phone I will now be able to open up my phone in peace, and take as long as I want to setup and what not.
    11-22-08 11:58 AM
    gotta say, i'm a little worried about the red end/power button...mine is a bit more wiggly than the green one...is it gonna fall off in a few months...hmmm
    11-22-08 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD