I had a thread about convincing me to buying a Storm and I ended up with getting the Omnia two days ago. I had a thread that I posted today and for some reason it isn't refreshing up to the front page so I just had these few quick questions prior to switching to the Storm

Alright, well I think I'm heading to Verizon today to pickup the Storm. The selling points on the Omnia were a 5mp camera and Wifi capability however since having the Omnia, I rarely have used the 5mp camera and Wifi. I would love to have Wifi on the Storm but that's not going to happen and for just casual web browsing on the phone, the EVDO should be sufficient enough.

The Omnia has a lot of customization which I like but it has also made the phone unstable with freezing and crashing. Another reason why I'm likely going to the Storm is because of you guys. The community and help on these forums are great and with the Omnia they are lacking. Anyway I have a few questions on the Storm before making a decision.

#1 is it easy to customize? Example are you able to change the themes and so forth?

#2 is there flick scrolling or an app that will allow the Storm to have flick scrolling?

#3 with the Omnia I had to manually enter my contacts since Verizon couldn't get my contacts off of my iPhone. I then had to reformat the phone which deleted my contacts and I'm wondering if the Storm will sync with Outlook 2007's contacts so it's easy to update and get my contacts on there

#4 Is suretype the same thing is Tx9?

#5 How is the email with the Storm, Omnia is horrible and I'm guessing the BB is supreme since they are known for emails/messaging.

#6 How is sending/receiving MMS?

#7 How easy is it to update the firmware or do the Storm phones from Verizon will come with the latest firmware?

#8 Does the Storm have or have an app that has threaded SMS? That is something I really need because I text a lot and I do not want to have to keep checking/deleting messages coming in and out. Is it also easy to select multiple contacts to send a mass text message?
    12-30-08 02:43 PM
    #1 is it easy to customize? Example are you able to change the themes and so forth?
    yes very easy to customize, but currently no themes available.

#2 is there flick scrolling or an app that will allow the Storm to have flick scrolling?
    no flick scrolling, and no app that i know of

#3 with the Omnia I had to manually enter my contacts since Verizon couldn't get my contacts off of my iPhone. I then had to reformat the phone which deleted my contacts and I'm wondering if the Storm will sync with Outlook 2007's contacts so it's easy to update and get my contacts on there
    yes i synch with outlook 2007, very very easy

all options are available. Suretype, T9, MultiTap, and foreign keyboards as well

#5 How is the email with the Storm, Omnia is horrible and I'm guessing the BB is supreme since they are known for emails/messaging.
    yes its supreme, cannot be beat

no issues, but it doesnt let you select multiple people at once, you have to e-enter the contact list for each person to add to an SMS, kind of a pain

#7 How easy is it to update the firmware or do the Storm phones from Verizon will come with the latest firmware?
    it come with the latest oficial release, but there are usually leaked updates available on this site and yes its very easy to load

#8 Does the Storm have or have an app that has threaded SMS? That is something I really need because I text a lot and I do not want to have to keep checking/deleting messages coming in and out. Is it also easy to select multiple contacts to send a mass text message?
    its threaded, but not as attractive as BB Messenger, or iphone's SMS system.
    Last edited by rsarno; 12-30-08 at 02:51 PM.
    12-30-08 02:49 PM
    is mms carrier specific?
    12-30-08 02:54 PM
    As to the flick scrolling, it is not native to the Blackberry OS, although some apps have it, such as the GMAIL app. In other words the touch screen is fully capable of having kinetic (flick) scrolling but that did not seem to be a priority for RIM when designing the OS. Scrolling on the Storm is noticeably choppier than on the iPhone, but you get used to it.
    12-30-08 02:59 PM

Storm is customizable, I think it is easy to do, but that depends on your technical knowledge (Note it is my first blackberry) With Crackberry's help this shouldn't be a problem

Messages and pictures have flick scrolling and I use it constantly

I use Google Contacts and Google Sync. I'm almost 100% positive you can sync outlook contacts. (Its a blackberry )

No, its better. I only used landscape because suretype frustrated me, until I read a few threads and practiced. Now its the only thing I use, except for typing email addresses and URL. I've seen threads on turning multitap (other alternative to suretype) into T9 if you really have to.

Email is my favorite. One quirk is you have to hit Menu > Get images for each email that has images embedded. It is a security feature. At first your signature will say Sent via my Verizon Blackberry, but I changed the sig to my name and contact info... Making for fast and professional looking emails

I love receiving picture messages because the large storm screen displays them beautifully and I can actually see what is in the image. I also send MMS directly from Camera after snapping a photo

Just got a replacement today so I can confirm that your Storm will have .75. It is very stable and is the latest official firmware. There is .76 and .83 floating around but I'm sticking with .75 until the next official release.

SMS is automatically threaded. One thing that bugs me, is it doesn't say who sent which message, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a memory.
    Welcome to the Storm!
    12-30-08 03:00 PM
    I misinterpreted flick scrolling to be somewhat of a swipe techinque. No the storm doesn't have flick scrolling.
    12-30-08 03:02 PM
    what is flick scrolling?
    12-30-08 03:42 PM
    buy it today!! get rid of the omnia...
    12-30-08 03:56 PM
    Welcome your newest crackberry member

Picked up the Storm just now, traded in the Omnia.

Gotta get the contacts on here now.
    12-30-08 04:15 PM
    what is flick scrolling?
    similar to iphone

one long flick gets you to the bottom of the page
    12-30-08 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD