I have to say I'm very much liking my Storm. It's definitely a Crackberry because I've been hooked all day. Here are some tips I've discovered that have helped speed things up on my device.
    • Turn off Content Compression and Content Protection
      • Click Options - Security Options - General Settings
    • Set the Key Rate to Fast
      • Click Options - Screen/Keyboard
    • Use the Esc key to end applications NOT the Red End Key
    11-21-08 12:21 PM
    Cool thanks
    11-21-08 12:26 PM
    any smoother?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 12:40 PM
    thanks ...keep them coming...joe
    11-21-08 12:44 PM
    Are these working for people?

Thanks for the help!
    11-21-08 01:14 PM
    Remove VZ Navigator and be careful where u put media, it will show up with 2 HD's one is BB1 and BB2 check to see which one has 8gb so you don't load the phone
    11-21-08 01:16 PM
    How can you remove VZ Navigator and other pre-installed programs that one will never use?
    11-21-08 01:18 PM
    Remove VZ Navigator and be careful where u put media, it will show up with 2 HD's one is BB1 and BB2 check to see which one has 8gb so you don't load the phone
    DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ignorance as I'm very new to smart phones.

Why exactly do you suggest removing VZ Navigator? I've been told that the navigation is crap, but isn't it better than having nothing?
    11-21-08 01:28 PM
    Few questions:

1. What exactly is key rate?

2. Anyone know what Tap Interval and Hover Period are?

3. How to remove pre-installed programs?
    11-21-08 01:29 PM
    Key rate is how fast you're able to type. There's fast, normal and slow. If you're not a fast typer, I suggest normal. DON'T EVER SET IT TO LOW. No matter how fast you type, a "low" setting will result in lag.

11-21-08 04:58 PM
    To remove pre-installed programs you need to intall the blackberry software (blue disk) that came with the phone. Once the software is installed and you rebooted your computer, go into Application Loader.
    11-21-08 05:27 PM
    What exactly does Content protection do? It sounds like a security thing?????
    12-24-08 11:04 AM
    I was able to just go into the application folder and select delete on VVM and VZ navigator and it took them both off.. It required a restart but seemed to make thing a tiny bit better? Also changing the key rate to fast was great!
    12-24-08 01:25 PM
    I was able to just go into the application folder and select delete on VVM and VZ navigator and it took them both off.. It required a restart but seemed to make thing a tiny bit better? Also changing the key rate to fast was great!
    To truly delete apps from your device you need to go into Options - Advanced Options - Applications then highlight the app you want to remove, click the Menu button and choose Delete.
    12-24-08 02:27 PM
    What exactly does Content protection do? It sounds like a security thing?????
    It is a security thing but works in concert with Password Protecting your device. For most users who don't bother enabling the Password Protection the Content Protection is useless for them.

Here's a description of what Content Protection does:
    What is Content Protection? - BlackBerry Tips
    "Although your BlackBerry transmits data over the air very securely, it does not store data on the handheld securely, unless you enable content protection.

To enable content protection, go to Options --> Security and set Content Protection = enabled, which will also require you to enable a password.

When you enable content protection on your BlackBerry, the BlackBerry will encrypt data that it determines to be sensitive, e.g. emails, browser cache, address book entries etc. This prevents someone with physical access to your handheld, from connecting it to a PC and extracting sensitive data. This will give you piece of mind, if your handheld is lost or stolen.

When you lock your handheld, the BlackBerry will start to encrypt data, initially this may take quite some time. While the BlackBerry is encrypting data, an Open Pad Lock icon will be displayed. When the BlackBerry is finished encrypting data, the Pad Lock icon will close.

The BlackBerry will continue to encrypt new data you enter, or receive over the air."
    12-24-08 02:32 PM
    thank you all for these great tips!!!
    12-24-08 03:02 PM
    And I just deleted Documents to Go (huge file, I don't need) on my Storm, not VZ Navigator (sort of want that) and it's much, much faster...
    12-24-08 03:22 PM
    And I just deleted Documents to Go (huge file, I don't need) on my Storm, not VZ Navigator (sort of want that) and it's much, much faster...
    Removing Docs To Go will not have any effect on the "speed" of the phone.
    12-24-08 03:45 PM
    Removing Docs To Go will not have any effect on the "speed" of the phone.
    Why not?
    10char
    12-24-08 05:43 PM
    Thx! My Storm moves faster from landscape to portrait:
    12-24-08 05:43 PM
    Because DOC2go is a 3rd party app that is only running when you want it to run. It never runs in the background.
    12-25-08 01:34 AM
    Because DOC2go is a 3rd party app that is only running when you want it to run. It never runs in the background.
    Yes but by removing it and freeing up more memory wouldn't that add a bit more speed to the device? I mean higher memory always equals a quicker device right? Isn't that why we always freak out when we find an application with huge memory leak... because it makes the device lag quicker?
    12-25-08 08:03 AM
    Yes but by removing it and freeing up more memory wouldn't that add a bit more speed to the device? I mean higher memory always equals a quicker device right? Isn't that why we always freak out when we find an application with huge memory leak... because it makes the device lag quicker?
    No, that's like saying a bigger HD will speed up your computer. It's not the same memory. RAM and HD space are different so deleting apps that don't run in the BG will not speed up your Storm.
    12-25-08 09:40 AM
    To truly delete apps from your device you need to go into Options - Advanced Options - Applications then highlight the app you want to remove, click the Menu button and choose Delete.
    Sorry, but deleting either way is deleting. The app is gone for good from your phone. To re-install you'll need the Desktop Manager software you refer to.
    12-25-08 09:43 AM
    DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ignorance as I'm very new to smart phones.

Why exactly do you suggest removing VZ Navigator? I've been told that the navigation is crap, but isn't it better than having nothing?
    Vz nav is not crap. In fact its better than my TomTom. You just have to pay out ragous prices for the monthly service. If your never going to use it I would remove it.

12-25-08 09:52 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD