How do you guys feel about getting an extended battery for the storm? I have yet to burn out the battery completely during the course of one dai but I'm starting to use more third party apps and music from slacker and I don't want to be stuck with a de
    ad battery. I'm not crazy about the look of the larger back but if I'm going to need it... I was thinking of maybe just gettng a car charger and see if that helps. I was just curious what others thought. Thanks
    02-04-09 06:32 PM
    The seidio one looks tempting.
    02-04-09 06:57 PM
    Maybe a second regular sized battery would be an option. This thing looks bloated.

02-04-09 07:01 PM
    I was just at the Verizon store getting a car charger for my storm and asked the manager if they sold an extended battery and he said no. I had one on my Voyager and liked the fact that I didnt have to worry about my battery dying in the early evening.
    02-04-09 07:01 PM
    I was given (birthday gift) the seidio slim extended batter. Slim meaning OEM size but still 15-20% better battery life

02-04-09 07:20 PM
    The seido slim gives me just enough extra to get through a 14 hour work day and have a comfortable amount of juice left, I used to be teetering on the magical 10% that turns off the radio..
    02-04-09 07:24 PM
    Hmm thanks. That looks interesting. Maybe I'll check that out
    02-04-09 07:30 PM
    i heard on the blackberry forums that the seido slim still does not fit in the battery dock and it barely fits in the phone. they said it is really tight and is hard to take out. is that true?
    02-04-09 08:16 PM
    I have the seido slim 1600 and fits fine no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 08:27 PM
    I had a LOT of trouble taking mine out of the battery dock. Also, it had less battery life than my original battery. I completely charged it and tired it several times. Finally sent it back. It was the 1600 Seido.
    02-04-09 08:29 PM
    A company in Australia is receiving a 2000mah battery with a replacement back door in the next two weeks. Im waiting till they receive one so I can go there and take a pic of it / purchase. If this is somewhere in size between the original and the 2600mah, I'd buy it.
    02-04-09 08:31 PM
    that sedio extended looks bad.
    02-04-09 08:34 PM
    I think I'm going to pick up the slim extended and see how it is. I have some long days and my battery now makes it but barely. I don't think I'd need the big bulky extended battery and I would hate to buy new cases. Just a little more battery life should be fine for me.
    02-04-09 10:15 PM
    I had a LOT of trouble taking mine out of the battery dock. Also, it had less battery life than my original battery. I completely charged it and tired it several times. Finally sent it back. It was the 1600 Seido.
    see this is what scares me. i mean the 1600 is a great thing because it is a larger battery and you dont have to change the back. who wouldnt want that. but i just dont want it to not fit at all. and i also heard it doesnt fit in those little battery charging docks
    02-04-09 10:23 PM
    Hi-

I am brand new to BB, and the recent owner of a Storm (yup- I'm one of those guys).

Overall- I really like the device. Sure it has it's quirks, but so does just about every other thing I interface with.

Anyway- I wanted to post a real surprising find. My last phone (an LG VX8300- a GREAT phone IMO) would go 3 or 4 days on a single charge. Obviously- expecting any device that does as much as the Storm can do to run that long on a single charge is unreasonable. I was interested in buying a second perhaps higher mah-rated battery, but not too interested in paying $60 or more for one. I am in the electrical field, and as such have a number of tools at my disposal, so I thought I'd take a chance on a generic, aftermarket 1600mah battery that I saw for sale on eBay. The battery is sold on eBay by "hkgreatdeals" and yes- I was pretty skeptical about buying something from overseas, that is essentially non-returnable, but I asked the seller a number of questions that they answered to my satisfaction, and I figured, I'd charge it (while monitoring it's charge parameters) and test it's discharge characteristics, and see if it's worth putting in my phone. I looked at it as a bit of an experiment. I'm not much of a gambler, but I figured, worst case scenerio- I lose $18.

It turns out that the cell is slightly MORE than a 1600mah in size, and after putting it in my phone, I got nearly 3 days of power out of a single charge. I guess I should mention that I'm not using my phone at a high rate. I view and reply to 10 to 20 emails a day, make and receive maybe 20 phone calls, maybe use the music player while in a long line, I have the backlight turn itself off after 30 seconds of no use, (I have the backlight set to the highest setting though) use bluetooth (most of the time) take a few pictures, (I'd take some video if that feature worked reliably on my phone). I also have the phone power itself down at 11pm, and wake itself up at 7am, (it's still using power, but at a slower rate) so there's some tricks involved in getting the phone to hold a charge so long I guess. Still, for $18 shipped- I think it's a pretty good deal.

I purchased the battery expecting very little, and am very pleasantly surprised.

It could be that not all of their cells are the same, and I just got a good one. I have no affiliation with the seller- I'm just reporting my findings in the hopes that I might be helping someone else reading these forums. I just purchased another battery from the same vendor (I have not received it yet, so I cannot compare the two yet) so I can have one charging while the other is in use. I just thought I'd pass that along...

TONY
    02-12-09 09:26 AM
    "hkgreatdeals" sounds like hong kong great deals. I'll pass on China stuff. yeah, it may work good out the gate, but in the long run what issues are you going to run into? and if you were really buying quality at $18, why wouldn't Seidio or RIM come out with an $18 battery?
    02-12-09 10:04 AM
    I taped a piece of business card to the inside of my stock battery door to improve the screen-click, then later got the seidio slim extended 1600. I thought it might be a little thicker, but nope. Fits just like the stocker, and no problems with the taped-on business card. I got the battery dock as well, so I just switch back and forth between the stock and seidio batteries with no problems, and always have a fresh battery.

So, to be clear, there are no problems with the seidio slim extended. Fits just like the stocker.
    02-12-09 11:11 AM
    thanks for that rfabro. i think you convinced me to get it
    02-12-09 12:18 PM
    The Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Battery. It better be worth the $68 bucks I paid for it Gets here in a couple days and Ill post back how the battery holds up. My normal charge lasts about 12 hrs before I need to charge it...Hopefully this one lasts a couple days if all goes well.....
    02-12-09 12:28 PM
    "hkgreatdeals" sounds like hong kong great deals. I'll pass on China stuff. yeah, it may work good out the gate, but in the long run what issues are you going to run into? and if you were really buying quality at $18, why wouldn't Seidio or RIM come out with an $18 battery?
    You are right on. The first two or three cycles on Hong Kong batteries are great and then they drop right off the chart for power and recharging ability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by tetonbb; 02-12-09 at 12:49 PM.
    02-12-09 12:35 PM
    I just got my seido slim extended yesterday and it fits very nicely. Cover required no extra pressure to close and the click feels the same. I've recharged only once, so we shall see about battery life.
    02-12-09 01:06 PM
    Sever916 and Tetonbb:

You both may be right. I have not noticed any drop off, but it may happen- and if it does- I will let you know, so as to help others avoid making a bad purchase.

Do you have experience with Chinese-made batteries? Previous to this I did not. Before I bought one- I did some research and did not find anything either here or elsewhere reporting findings, good or bad. If you have actual experience with good or bad Chinese or generic-brand batteries, I'd love to hear your actual experience.

Like I said- it was a bit of an experiment, and I will update my experience with the battery as I use it. So far- (after only about 2 weeks) it continues to work for about 2.5 days before needing a recharge (but as you know- that depends upon how you use your device).

The battery may be great- or it may be crap. So far (after limited use) I'd say it's great...

TONY
    02-13-09 10:03 AM
    The Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Battery. It better be worth the $68 bucks I paid for it Gets here in a couple days and Ill post back how the battery holds up. My normal charge lasts about 12 hrs before I need to charge it...Hopefully this one lasts a couple days if all goes well.....
    lasts me at least 14-16 hrs under pretty heavy use.

When I first got it, it was a little shaky. Some days I would go all day and still have like 45% battery left and others I was down to nothing. But I think that had to do with going through a few charge cycles before the battery reached its max.

Now it seems to work for me pretty well.
    02-13-09 10:10 AM
    Maybe a second regular sized battery would be an option. This thing looks bloated.

nah i got this n i love it
    02-13-09 10:20 AM
    Those using the Seidio 2600mah battery- is there a case or skin that works with that setup?

TONY
    02-13-09 10:26 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD