I was recently at a seminar in a Sheraton and noticed that the reception on my phone said "off".
    I checked to see if my radio was on and it was. The top of the screen said "searching for CDMA signal" briefly and than the signal would say "off" again.
    I walked out of the conference room an went to a different area of the hotel and I got all my reception back, when I went back to the conference room, the freaking phone started searching for CDMA again...the worst part was that everyone around me had their phones working just fine...what the f is it with this storm? I love it bit sadly not that day...
    Any ideas on what might have caused this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 11:22 AM
    what radio file are you running?
    06-20-09 11:25 AM
    Shouldn't matter, you buy these things so they work!!! Not so you spend all your time running bootleg apps and OS, the devise is junk, plain and simple.
    06-20-09 11:29 AM
    were all the people around you on the same carrier as you?
    06-20-09 11:29 AM
    Shouldn't matter, you buy these things so they work!!! Not so you spend all your time running bootleg apps and OS, the devise is junk, plain and simple.
    you obviously are missing the point and with all the people running .90-.148 radios it certainly does matter. Mine does work just fine, never lost a call with 148 radio.
    06-20-09 11:33 AM
    In my own experience with the storms call quality/signal, it's been mediocre to say the least.

I've never once had a dropped call with Verizon wireless in my area (within the last 3 years) While having my storm, it was normal for a few dropped calls a week. (Running any Operating system, and this was on two different units)

My 8330, or 8703e? Nope.. never had any issues...

Now I'm using a enVtouch for my personal line, while wife uses the 8330 and my 8703e sits in a drawer at work. I'm waiting for the 9630, I was actually going to buy a 8703e for my personal line but this enV is much better than the storm.. LOL
    06-20-09 11:37 AM
    You're really proving yourself to be quite unknowledgeable when it comes to such matters (on a number of threads - not just this one). And... I believe the word you're looking for here is "device" not "devise".
    06-20-09 11:41 AM
    You're really proving yourself to be quite unknowledgeable when it comes to such matters (on a number of threads - not just this one). And... I believe the word you're looking for here is "device" not "devise".
    he is what we call a "troll"
    06-20-09 11:43 AM
    Well, devise could make sense if you think about it.. lol

The devise (machinating a plot) is junk.. etc.. lol
    06-20-09 11:45 AM
    Running .148....
    I don't think everyone in the room was o. Verizon
    I know the lady next to me was on AT&T and someone else was on Metro PCS...both of them had no issues...

06-20-09 12:19 PM
    Running .148....
    I don't think everyone in the room was o. Verizon
    I know the lady next to me was on AT&T and someone else was on Metro PCS...both of them had no issues...

How about someone else that was running on verizon? They don't always have coverage everywhere contrary to popular belief.
    06-20-09 12:24 PM
    I carry a coat hanger and foil with me in case of situations like that....
    06-20-09 12:29 PM
    I carry a coat hanger and foil with me in case of situations like that....
    What a GREAT idea...I'm going to start doing that from now on...you are so smart.

06-20-09 12:33 PM
    It just doesn't get good reception. My curve 8330 gets much better reception in area's that don't have much signal. I've tried them side by side many times. Is this a software thing or is the radio just not as strong and is never going to be as good as other blackberry's?
    06-20-09 12:39 PM
    It just doesn't get good reception. My curve 8330 gets much better reception in area's that don't have much signal. I've tried them side by side many times. Is this a software thing or is the radio just not as strong and is never going to be as good as other blackberry's?
    Is that a question? lol.. No, I don't think it'll ever have as good reception as your normal BB. I think it's hardware related, honestly.
    06-20-09 12:44 PM
    I completely agree with you that it seems like a hardware issue, but it seems strange that such a new device would have a weaker radio than devices that are 5 years old. Some of my friends have really old dumb phones that get much better reception than my storm.
    06-20-09 12:57 PM
    Have you tried dialing *228 option 2 to update your prl? That can definitely have an effect when you've gone to a new area. As for my phone, I get great reception on .148. It's actually 1 bar better than I've ever had with any phone in my office.

Grey
    06-20-09 01:03 PM
    Have you tried dialing *228 option 2 to update your prl? That can definitely have an effect when you've gone to a new area. As for my phone, I get great reception on .148. It's actually 1 bar better than I've ever had with any phone in my office.

Grey
    I'm not sure if there is a *228 option for telus. I'm from a small town with a lot of area's that have weak reception. I've always lived here and have used probably 10 different cell phones since the late 90's. I've used them in similar places (I don't get out much) and the storm seems to be worse getting reception than any phone i can remember. I love the phone and wouldn't want to get rid of it. I'm just not sure about how the radio and how it works and if software can improve reception or am i just going to be dealing with poor reception in certain area's. I don't expect it to work everywhere, it just seems a new phone like this should get reception where a lot of older phones do.
    06-20-09 01:10 PM

Grey
    I had actually done that 2 days before the meeting.
    The strange thing is that it was just losing complete communication in that 1 room. I could lterallu walk like 20 feet away, and the radio would connect again...
    I was really dissapointed witj my phone. It was humilating to see everyone aroind me making and receiving calls(even dumb phones) and not my wonderful state of the art Storm.
    So much for the "can you hear me now" dude...

06-20-09 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD