CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ever Since I Purchased My Phone...

Ever since I bought the Storm back in December, I haven't had a lot of app memory. I know there have been numerous topics about how to free up some more memory, but there have also been topics in which people state that they generally have 40+mb on start up.

Since December, I have not once had more than say 23-25mb, and usually, after a reboot/battery pull I'll have between 22 and 23. Throughout the day, it goes down sometimes just to 20, other times to 17, 15, and once I ran it down to 0mb.

Here's my question, I guess....How can I have more app memory? I don't understand how people that BOUGHT the phone, OUT OF THE BOX, have had more than me, without having to try to free up memory through various techniques...

I'd love to have 30+...

*Side Note: Does more App Memory make the phone run faster? I ask this because I've not noticed any correlation yet; sometimes I have less and the phone is faster, other times I have more and the phone is slower (and only the usual 5 background apps running). Sometimes its all scattered....

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Master

The people getting over 40mb are those removing the apps that came with the phone, essentially making it a naked base phone.

The phone needs a certain minimum amount of memory to run but amount indeed does not correlate with running speed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

People who have more memory than you HAVE deleted apps and played with their phone to "free up" memory. And yes, more memory equals smoother and faster overall performance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wentouch View Post
    The people getting over 40mb are those removing the apps that came with the phone, essentially making it a naked base phone.

The phone needs a certain minimum amount of memory to run but amount indeed does not correlate with running speed.
    After a reboot, I start with 46MB, and I have not removed all of the apps that came with the phone. I just removed the stuff that I would never use--like other the other languages. I also have 5 or 6 apps that I have ADDED to the phone.
    Official Schmoopie of CB
    Tour purchased September 2009, .219 OS
    Writing and music and art are the reasons for life to continue on Earth.
    Twitter
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Morf32 View Post
    After a reboot, I start with 46MB, and I have not removed all of the apps that came with the phone. I just removed the stuff that I would never use--like other the other languages. I also have 5 or 6 apps that I have ADDED to the phone.

I removed the languages other than English. And I too, added apps to the phone (no more than 15). However, I have checked and the total size of all those apps cannot be the reason I have 22 as opposed to your 46mb, so what gives? What's the magic? Are some phones just sold with more app memory on accident, is there a memory leak, etc. I don't know what to attribute it to....and I want more memory WITHOUT having to do any tweaks, because there are people that "naturally" so to say, have more memory.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ozren View Post
    I removed the languages other than English. And I too, added apps to the phone (no more than 15). However, I have checked and the total size of all those apps cannot be the reason I have 22 as opposed to your 46mb, so what gives? What's the magic? Are some phones just sold with more app memory on accident, is there a memory leak, etc. I don't know what to attribute it to....and I want more memory WITHOUT having to do any tweaks, because there are people that "naturally" so to say, have more memory.
    Ok... I know for a fact that "some phones" are not "sold with more app memory on accident", but the thought made me laugh.

Honestly? I don't know why two phones can be so different... it seems that through everyone posting about this issue on many threads, we have found that different phones act differently. I know that sounds obvious, but there has been no real explanation. I am not one of those people who "obsesses" about the memory--when I chose to take a few things off my phone, it was only because I knew I would never use that stuff... not because I thought I would get more memory out of it. I'm not doing anything special... I have never even upgraded the phone... I've been running .75 since I bought it, and have had no real issues with it.

EDIT: What I highlighted seems like A LOT to me... 15 apps can go a long way to "bogging" your phone down.
    Official Schmoopie of CB
    Tour purchased September 2009, .219 OS
    Writing and music and art are the reasons for life to continue on Earth.
    Twitter
    CrackBerry User

I would always boot up at around 20-25Mb as well, and after a few hours that would decrease to the low teens. That is until I decided to upgrade my OS. When I went to .109 I was starting at around 30, and the other night I went to .122, and am now starting at about 45.
    I'm also running about 6 apps, 3 of which are running at all times (PatternLock, QuickLaunch, and VisualArts). I haven't removed any languages or anything like that, but I did delete any apps I never use. I honestly think the OS upgrades are your best choice in adding app memory.
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
    -R. W. Emerson
    CrackBerry Abuser

Does having a lot of emails and text messages on my phone take up app memory?

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3054AF93

Yeah that will use up your memory
    Quote Originally Posted by pbar41 View Post
    Does having a lot of emails and text messages on my phone take up app memory?

$PEN$IVE TA$TE