I hope someone will be able to clarify this for me.

The Storm is supposed to have EVDO Rev. A. I had an 8830 before (just EVDO) and it would only allow data to be retrieved after a phone conversation ended. One of the benefits of EVDO Rev. A (as I understand it) is that it can complete data and phone transactions simultaneously

So far since owning the storm (Nov 21st) I have noticed that my emails are always retrieved after I hang up the phone - even while I am in a Rev A. area. (I work in NYC and live near by - my phone is always showing 1XEV and full bars).

So my question is - Am I mistaken about Rev.A or is there something I'm missing with the way this should work?

Thanks
    12-30-08 08:09 AM
    CDMA in any flavor does not allow for Voice and Data to be transmitted at the same time. Maybe in a future revision but I doubt it....
    12-30-08 08:20 AM
    CDMA in any flavor does not allow for Voice and Data to be transmitted at the same time. Maybe in a future revision but I doubt it....
    What are you talking about. I browse the internet while on the phone quite often.
    I send and receive text messages too while on the phone. It is possible but doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    12-30-08 08:30 AM
    The difference is not EVDO and EVDO Rev A, But rather EVDO Rev O and EVDO Rev A. Same techological basis, different speeds. The limitations (besides speed) of one are the limitations of the other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 08:30 AM
    What are you talking about. I browse the internet while on the phone quite often.
    I send and receive text messages too while on the phone. It is possible but doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    I can't see your carrier as I'm on mobile. Who do you have? GSM carriers (ATT, TMO in the US) do allow simultaneous voice and data.

Also, text messaging uses the voice portion of your phone, not data.

12-30-08 08:32 AM
    So would I be correct in stating that EVDO rev. A only offers a speed benefit? I wonder if this feature will be implemented in future revisions (rev. B)? Not that I mind I'm just curious as this feature is what att tout as a selling point over Verizon's EVDO.

12-30-08 08:35 AM
    The difference is not EVDO and EVDO Rev A, But rather EVDO Rev O and EVDO Rev A. Same techological basis, different speeds. The limitations (besides speed) of one are the limitations of the other.

I understand the speed differences between EVDO 0 and EVDO Rev. A. I am just looking for clarification regarding simultaneous phone and data transfers. There seems to be a difference in opinion regarding this.

Again thanks for everyones input regarding this!
    12-30-08 08:39 AM
    So would I be correct in stating that EVDO rev. A only offers a speed benefit? I wonder if this feature will be implemented in future revisions (rev. B)? Not that I mind I'm just curious as this feature is what att tout as a selling point over Verizon's EVDO.

You are correct about the benefit. However, the next revision of wireless tech will probably be 4G which will move Verizon from EVDO to LTE technology, not another incarnation of EVDO. I'm not sure, but I believe LTE allows for simultaneous voice and data.

12-30-08 08:42 AM
    Chris4404 was correct. CDMA networks cannot do Voice and Data simultaneously. some will allow connections sharing in a sense but in order to do this either voice or data is paused momentarily to allow the other to connect.

GSM will allow simultaneous connections.
    12-30-08 09:14 AM
    You are correct about the benefit. However, the next revision of wireless tech will probably be 4G which will move Verizon from EVDO to LTE technology, not another incarnation of EVDO. I'm not sure, but I believe LTE allows for simultaneous voice and data.

Yes it will be LTE which Verizon is going to begin rolling out end of 2009. And with LTE, there is no Voice or Data, it's one standard protocol, so yes in essence, you can have "voice" and "data" at the same time...at near wifi speeds I hear, if not faster
    12-30-08 09:28 AM
    Chris4404 was correct. CDMA networks cannot do Voice and Data simultaneously. some will allow connections sharing in a sense but in order to do this either voice or data is paused momentarily to allow the other to connect.

GSM will allow simultaneous connections.
    Are we really sure about this? I can be sending and receiving texts while im on the phone even the voyager was able to do this. Not sure about browsing and being on the phone though.
    12-30-08 09:38 AM
    For further clarification, it's not "GSM" that will allow for this, it's HSDPA. GSM, and EDGE, cannot do simultaneuos voice and data, but HSDPA can.
    12-30-08 09:39 AM
    Are we really sure about this? I can be sending and receiving texts while im on the phone even the voyager was able to do this. Not sure about browsing and being on the phone though.
    Text is not data ring-a-ding. It's on the voice signaling channel so yes, txt can go both ways at the same time as you're on the phone (voice conversation). Pure data however (browsing web) will not happen while on a voice call.

This was all hashed out weeks if not months ago. Can we get some search skillz please?
    12-30-08 10:22 AM
    I hope someone will be able to clarify this for me.

The Storm is supposed to have EVDO Rev. A. I had an 8830 before (just EVDO) and it would only allow data to be retrieved after a phone conversation ended. One of the benefits of EVDO Rev. A (as I understand it) is that it can complete data and phone transactions simultaneously

So far since owning the storm (Nov 21st) I have noticed that my emails are always retrieved after I hang up the phone - even while I am in a Rev A. area. (I work in NYC and live near by - my phone is always showing 1XEV and full bars).

So my question is - Am I mistaken about Rev.A or is there something I'm missing with the way this should work?

Thanks
    CDMA and Verizon's LTE will allow for both voice and data transmission. The benefit of Verizon's 3G today is 1.5 MBs data speeds, compared to GSM speeds that are much slower. LTE is coming! Stay Tuned!
    07-07-09 03:30 PM
    Ok maybe there should be a sticky for this one.

To sum up:
    EVDO any version can do Voice and SMS MMS texts simultaneously.
    Yes?
    CDMA can do Voice(SMS&MMS also) and Data(browsing/email) simultaneously.
    Yes?
    LTE (not in production) Can do Voice(SMS&MMS also) and Data(browsing/email) (albeit in one protocol channel and not two separate channels, as the others)
    Yes?

I had a Bold 9000(AT&T-CDMA) at my last job and loved getting email while on the phone.
    I now have a Storm(Verizon-EVDO) and I can not do browsing/email whilst on a Voice call. One person in the thread said they could do this on Verizon. I have been to three Verizon stores in my area and they all said that I could not do Voice and Data at the same time with Storm.

So Storm users must wait for LST(4G). If it is offered on our models.
    Yes?

Thanks for answering my questions.
    07-07-09 06:10 PM
    CDMA does NOT allow for both voice and data to be running simultaneously.
    Verizon, Sprint = CDMA
    07-07-09 06:26 PM
    Ok maybe there should be a sticky for this one.

To sum up:
    EVDO any version can do Voice and SMS MMS texts simultaneously.
    Yes?
    CDMA can do Voice(SMS&MMS also) and Data(browsing/email) simultaneously.
    Yes?
    LTE (not in production) Can do Voice(SMS&MMS also) and Data(browsing/email) (albeit in one protocol channel and not two separate channels, as the others)
    Yes?

I had a Bold 9000(AT&T-CDMA) at my last job and loved getting email while on the phone.
    I now have a Storm(Verizon-EVDO) and I can not do browsing/email whilst on a Voice call. One person in the thread said they could do this on Verizon. I have been to three Verizon stores in my area and they all said that I could not do Voice and Data at the same time with Storm.

So Storm users must wait for LST(4G). If it is offered on our models.
    Yes?

Thanks for answering my questions.
    Ummm, no. AT&T is a GSM carrier and the Bold is GSM, not CDMA. CDMA BBs cannot do voice and data simultaneously. When VZW goes to LTE, they'll continue to do voice accross CDMA and data alone via the LTE network (at least that's the discussion now), so when the first CDMA/LTE BB comes to their network, you'll see both things work simultaneously... hopefully.
    07-07-09 06:27 PM
    You are right. It was GSM not CDMA.
    I assumed that if a SIM card was necessary that it was CDMA. My Bold had a SIM card. The job that issued it to me was a Fed Govt contract job. We had enterprise activation. Probably does not matter.

Edited this:
    "I do remember seeing a link for At&t(CDMA) next to a link for At&t(GSM) on some list of device downloads, but can not locate it. Maybe it was for old devices that are now end-of-life."
    Edited version:
    Found link. Again I was wrong. The links were At&t GSM and At&t Mobitex.
    The list is at : blackberryfaq com under the OS section

So the rest of what I summed up was true, barring the GSM/CDMA on Bold?
    Last edited by zoil666; 07-07-09 at 07:25 PM. Reason: found site
    07-07-09 07:17 PM
    You are right. It was GSM not CDMA.
    I assumed that if a SIM card was necessary that it was CDMA. My Bold had a SIM card. The job that issued it to me was a Fed Govt contract job. We had enterprise activation. Probably does not matter.

Edited this:
    "I do remember seeing a link for At&t(CDMA) next to a link for At&t(GSM) on some list of device downloads, but can not locate it. Maybe it was for old devices that are now end-of-life."
    Edited version:
    Found link. Again I was wrong. The links were At&t GSM and At&t Mobitex.
    The list is at : blackberryfaq com under the OS section

So the rest of what I summed up was true, barring the GSM/CDMA on Bold?
    Again, CDMA doesn't use SIM cards... GSM does. The Storm and other world phones have a SIM in them for the GSM side of the radio capabilities.
    07-07-09 09:22 PM
    I realize that I am replying to an old post. I learned something today that I wanted to share. I have a US Cellular HTC Touch Pro. As in the previous post my smart phone was consistently indicating 1X rather than Ev-D0 as it should. I took the phone to US Cellular they "updated the phone to the tower" by dialing I believe *288. The update took about 4 minutes. After that the data signal was consistently Ev-DO. I do not know the dialing code to update for other carriers but hopefully this will help someone out.
    Last edited by hbuetow; 09-04-09 at 11:07 AM. Reason: misspelling
    09-04-09 11:04 AM
    So would I be correct in stating that EVDO rev. A only offers a speed benefit? I wonder if this feature will be implemented in future revisions (rev. B)?
    rev O is same speeds down as rev A. only difference is rev O has faster upload speeds.
    09-06-09 10:05 AM
    rev O is same speeds down as rev A. only difference is rev O has faster upload speeds.
    This is not true. Both Sprint and Verizon advertised faster download speeds on their websites with rev A over rev 0. The biggest difference is upload, but it'a also faster on the download.

EVDO Blog by EVDOinfo.com: EVDO Rev A vs. EVDO Rev 0

"EVDO Rev 0 vs EVDO Rev A

We get this question every day, so, here is some information regarding EVDO Rev A vs. EVDO Rev 0.

EVDO Rev A is 25% faster at downloading and up to 800% faster at uploading (and has lower latency)."
    09-06-09 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD