Suddenly, I'm getting the error message "Uncaught Exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" when I try to run the Wall Street Journal Mobile Reader app or the AP News app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and repeated battery pulls and still nothing.

Both were working a few weeks ago when I first installed them. No upgrades or anything that would affect it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    01-10-09 11:05 PM
    Suddenly, I'm getting the error message "Uncaught Exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" when I try to run the Wall Street Journal Mobile Reader app or the AP News app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and repeated battery pulls and still nothing.

Both were working a few weeks ago when I first installed them. No upgrades or anything that would affect it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I had the same error a couple of weeks ago with the Wall Street Journal Mobile Reader and posted it in the forums, but nobody ever came up with a reason it would happen. Actually my error and yours look to be slightly different. Here's a screen shot of the error:

I uninstalled the program, and just put it back on since I got my replacement phone yesterday, and so far so good because I really like the Wall Street application.

Last edited by Vulcan500Rider; 01-10-09 at 11:24 PM.
    01-10-09 11:21 PM
    Most of the time when the Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException error occurs is because of an address book database corruption. The solution to that problem is to clear the Address Book database on the device. From the blackberry website it say you can do this by:

1) Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2) Click Backup and Restore, and select Advanced.
    3) From the Handheld Databases list, select Address Book.
    4) Click Clear. Go back to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager window.
    5) Synchronize the Address Book.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 11:40 PM
    You may have to try to remove the battery. When I develop my app, it happens and message application icon was gone. Reboot didn't help. But remove battery worked.
    01-13-09 01:21 PM
    Thanks, but still no go. I cleared the address book, reinstalled it and I still get the error. I pulled the battery several times. Given what this market looks like, maybe it's better that I don't have the Wall Street Journal application on my Storm.
    02-21-09 12:50 PM
    Using the desktop manager to clear my call log fixed the problem for me
    03-06-09 09:27 AM
    I had the same error and what worked for me was that i went onto the desktop manager and cleared the phone call log
    03-06-09 09:35 AM
    You won't believe this, but I think I solved the problem. While installing the new Blackberry Apps Store, it indicated that I needed to allow it to access the internet. I did and it worked. It got me thinking about my other 3rd party apps that caused the Uncaught Exception error. I changed each apps connections permissions to "allow" (they were set to "Deny") and they all work now. Here's what I did...

Device Options
    Advanced Options
    Applications
    Highlight application, hit Blackberry key, and select "edit permissions"
    Change connections to "allow"

Thanks to everyone that responded.
    04-02-09 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD