How can I remove an icon from the Application Switcher on my BlackBerry Storm?

I installed some shortcuts from the New York Times (Google "New York Times BlackBerry Shortcuts" to see what I mean - I'm not allowed to insert a link here), and they left "ghost" icons in my switcher. Just little squares. If I click on them, the BB freezes and I need to restart.

I made extra sure that the applications aren't still open.
    08-13-09 05:12 AM
    Considering that the application switcher is a list of currently running programs, I don't know what you mean by ghost icons. Have you tried doing a battery pull?
    08-13-09 05:41 AM
    Just verifying, you mean the menu that displays when you hold in the BB Button for several seconds?

If so, if you select (but not activate) one of these "ghost" icons, there should be some text at the bottom of the popup menu. If so what does it say? And how many "ghost" icons are there? Are there any "nonghost" icons and what are their names?

This menu is a list of currently running programs, and the only way your program is going to display on this list is if it is currently running.

How can I remove an icon from the Application Switcher on my BlackBerry Storm?

I installed some shortcuts from the New York Times (Google "New York Times BlackBerry Shortcuts" to see what I mean - I'm not allowed to insert a link here), and they left "ghost" icons in my switcher. Just little squares. If I click on them, the BB freezes and I need to restart.

I made extra sure that the applications aren't still open.
    08-13-09 06:12 AM
    I hadn't tried the battery pull - but I just tried it now and they are still there.

When I select the icon, the text reads "New York Times" and "NYT Media Decoder" which are the two apps that I downloaded.

All the rest of the icons are standard - Messages, Phone, Home Screen - etc.

I took a photo of my screen. The two offending icons are on the right:
    08-13-09 05:52 PM
    I would suggest deleting and re-installing the apps.

If they go away after deleting (+ optional bat.pull), but reappear after installing, they may not be fully compatible with your phone.
    08-13-09 06:15 PM
    I would suggest deleting and re-installing the apps.

If they go away after deleting (+ optional bat.pull), but reappear after installing, they may not be fully compatible with your phone.
    You could enable/disable compatibility mode by going to options>advanced options>applications>app in question>bb button>enable/disable compatibility mode
    08-13-09 06:20 PM
    OMG! You're a friggin' genius! Mwah!

Although, I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself.
    I guess this is just not compatible with the Storm.
    Lesson learned.

Thank you so much!
    I love this place!
    08-13-09 07:55 PM
    So - bottom line - IS there a way to edit the Application Switcher? Like - if I wanted to remove the "phone" icon from it, could I?

I've searched and searched and haven't found any information on how to customize that.
    08-14-09 04:56 AM
    no, it shows apps running....im not sure why you even want to. Its the like the task manager for windows. It makes it super easy to switch apps which is a big part of the phone
    08-14-09 05:04 AM
    LOL - well, that explains it - I've edited my Windows Task Manager, too. It just annoys me to have - for instance - that phone icon. It's redundant - I have a big huge green button on the front of the phone if I ever need to use it - which, I'll be honest, I hardly ever do.

Or the BlackBerry Messenger - I don't use it, I don't think I ever will. Why do I have to see it all the time?

I want to make the Application Switcher customized the way I want.
    08-14-09 04:08 PM
    LOL - well, that explains it - I've edited my Windows Task Manager, too. It just annoys me to have - for instance - that phone icon. It's redundant - I have a big huge green button on the front of the phone if I ever need to use it - which, I'll be honest, I hardly ever do.

Or the BlackBerry Messenger - I don't use it, I don't think I ever will. Why do I have to see it all the time?

I want to make the Application Switcher customized the way I want.
    If you dont use BBM then delete it. As for the rest, it shows everything running, those apps are always running so, just the way it is
    08-14-09 05:06 PM
    I want to make the Application Switcher customized...
    QuickLaunch is an alternative.
    08-14-09 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD