Hello
    I have never owned a blackberry, but when i heard of the storm, i have become interested in getting one. My major concern is texting with it. I currently have an Envy. I love having the keyboard. Do you think after some time it will be easy to text on the storm? I know it has a querty keyboard but but buttons seem small. I txt quick and hope eventually i would be able to do the same with the Storm. Another question, i am eligible for a new cell. So when it comes out, if i went to a verizon a few days later, would they have them still or would they be sold out? I could get it online but then wouldnt i have to pay the whole retail price instead of the price i would pay since im eligible for a new phone?
    thanks
    10-16-08 10:10 AM
    Hello
    I have never owned a blackberry, but when i heard of the storm, i have become interested in getting one. My major concern is texting with it. I currently have an Envy. I love having the keyboard. Do you think after some time it will be easy to text on the storm? I know it has a querty keyboard but but buttons seem small. I txt quick and hope eventually i would be able to do the same with the Storm. Another question, i am eligible for a new cell. So when it comes out, if i went to a verizon a few days later, would they have them still or would they be sold out? I could get it online but then wouldnt i have to pay the whole retail price instead of the price i would pay since im eligible for a new phone?
    thanks
    I'm not sure about the replacement questions. If you're due for a new phone now I'd plan on being at the store the morning it's released at opening time (which is what I'm going to do.)

I really hope that texting will be pretty smooth on it. I've never used a traditional BB to text... I've gotten pretty quick with the T9 but that's still a pain. My wife has an iPhone and I think I can text faster on T9. Only time will tell.
    10-16-08 10:19 AM
    thanks. yeah thats the big one for me. txting. I use it a lot and if i cant txt with it, then i dont think i would enjoy it that much. I have been waiting for a reivew to come up, but the ones i have read dont say much about it. I can type pretty quick with my keyboard and i i know it will be a lot different but i want to make sure i would be able to catch on and it wouldnt take me 10min to send a txt!
    10-16-08 10:24 AM
    thanks. yeah thats the big one for me. txting. I use it a lot and if i cant txt with it, then i dont think i would enjoy it that much. I have been waiting for a reivew to come up, but the ones i have read dont say much about it. I can type pretty quick with my keyboard and i i know it will be a lot different but i want to make sure i would be able to catch on and it wouldnt take me 10min to send a txt!
    You said you had an EnV, right? My daughter has one of those and I can't text to save my life on it (and I am a FAST typist.) The Storm's layout looks... looks bigger and possibly in a more comfortable position. My point though is if you can type fast on the EnV... I'd be willing to bet you'll be able to go pretty quick on the Storm. Again, that's just judging from photos... I haven't seen one up close and personal yet.
    10-16-08 10:33 AM
    I text, email, surf the web with both of my BB's and would not have it any other way....
    10-16-08 10:35 AM
    Sounds good then! i read an another review that when you type, you have to wait for the letter to pop back up. I pasted what it said below. maybe i am just not understanding it. what do you think?

So you have to push the touchscreen like a button every time you do something. Typing with it takes some getting used to, even if you can fly on an iPhone or other touchscreen device, because you have to retrain yourself to actually lift your thumb back off of the screen to let it pop back up between every single letter. Since you can't "flow" continuously in a stream but are pounding out a series of clicks, it's hard to tell in the limited time I had with it how fast you would be able to go once you're completely re-trained. It's a unique and finely tuned sensation, and I liked it, but I could definitely see people loathing it.
    10-16-08 10:38 AM
    I text, email, surf the web with both of my BB's and would not have it any other way....
    From everything I've read it really does seem like RIM put a LOT of effort into making sure you could text easily on the Storm's keyboard. I'm expecting a positive experience with it. Better than the iPhone's (I hope!)
    10-16-08 10:39 AM
    and remember with the "landscape" view your keyboard will be a lot closer to what you are used to with the env.
    10-16-08 10:45 AM
    i would your right! that would make life a lot easier. If i can get a good few solid reviews before it comes out. Then i will get it when it comes out. Im in college so it will be tough. Theres no verizon around here, i would have to travel about 45 min to get there. And i would have to get a ride. But they would probably be sold out. So then i will get it during Thanksgiving break. By then, it should be out a few weeks and should be in stock. And there are plenty of verizons near me. But im looking foward to getting a blackberry. Never thought about getting one but i like the touch screen idea. I have been playing around with a friends blackberry and its cool. I like BBM, thats a good feature.
    10-16-08 10:46 AM
    YES! It has been confirmed by our pal Crucial_Xtreme, who has been testing the Storm for some time now. CX said it will take a day MAX to get used to typing on the Storm. He also stated he can type faster on the Storm than he does with his Curve. That's all I needed to hear and am totally sold on the Storm!
    10-16-08 10:47 AM
    and remember with the "landscape" view your keyboard will be a lot closer to what you are used to with the env.

is that good or bad lol? Closer?
    10-16-08 10:47 AM
    YES! It has been confirmed by our pal Crucial_Xtreme, who has been testing the Storm for some time now. CX said it will take a day MAX to get used to typing on the Storm. He also stated he can type faster on the Storm than he does with his Curve. That's all I needed to hear and am totally sold on the Storm!
    Thats AWSOME!!!!! Thats my biggest concern. I cant wait to get this phone.. I wish it would come out tomorrow since im going to the mall but it wont. But by the end of thanksgiving break i will have this phone. ( as long as there arent people saying its terrible and all forms and reviews say to stay away, but i dont like thats the cases!!)
    10-16-08 10:49 AM
    is that good or bad lol? Closer?
    Check out the main Storm page Kevin put together (its at the top of the Storm Forum). You can see the different types of keyboards offered by the Storm (QWERTY, Suretype and T9).
    10-16-08 10:50 AM
    Thats AWSOME!!!!! Thats my biggest concern. I cant wait to get this phone.. I wish it would come out tomorrow since im going to the mall but it wont. But by the end of thanksgiving break i will have this phone. ( as long as there arent people saying its terrible and all forms and reviews say to stay away, but i dont like thats the cases!!)

Keep in mind you have 30 days to "test" the phone and get a full refund, if you don't like it. However, once you own a Blackberry, you never go back!!

Also, Blackberry's can be programmed to type out words by just using a specific letter(s). For example, I have mine set up to type out "be" by just typing "b". It will also do a lot of punctuations for you as well....example "Ill" will turn to I'll, etc... That's just another beauty of a Blackberry!! Its all on how you want to set it up.
    Last edited by Pholey22; 10-16-08 at 10:56 AM.
    10-16-08 10:52 AM
    It will also do a lot of punctuations for you as well....example "Ill" will turn to I'll, etc... That's just another beauty of a Blackberry!! Its all on how you want to set it up.
    Oh that's pretty cool!! I always wondered why T9 didn't do that.
    10-16-08 11:24 AM
    sounds awsome!!!
    10-16-08 11:29 AM
    It will also do a lot of punctuations for you as well....example "Ill" will turn to I'll, etc... That's just another beauty of a Blackberry!! Its all on how you want to set it up.
    Yea, iPhones are great at doing this too. Sorry, I had to do it.
    10-16-08 12:20 PM
    From everything I've read it really does seem like RIM put a LOT of effort into making sure you could text easily on the Storm's keyboard. I'm expecting a positive experience with it. Better than the iPhone's (I hope!)
    That's a pretty low bar
    10-16-08 02:24 PM
    That's a pretty low bar
    LOL... good point
    10-16-08 02:53 PM
    Yes the Storm is easy to type on. In fact, I find it easier than any of my other Blackberry devices. This device was engineered to be easy to txt and email on.
    10-16-08 03:21 PM
    Yes the Storm is easy to type on. In fact, I find it easier than any of my other Blackberry devices. This device was engineered to be easy to txt and email on.
    Welcome back cx. Yeah keep on making us all miserable telling us how great this phone is knowing we can't get our hands on one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 03:30 PM
    any chance texting will be easy with one hand in portrait mode while driving????
    10-16-08 04:21 PM
    any chance texting will be easy with one hand in portrait mode while driving????
    Use Vlingo its free...vlingo
    10-16-08 04:25 PM
    The model I've used is the old dual-dome model, which is, frankly, pitifully awful to text on.

The screen ripples when too much pressure is applied, and the whole experience is a struggle (especially when you have to press in the middle of the screen, between the two domes), compared to how adept I am with typing on the iPhone (greased lighting). I've always found Suretype useless, so it is a shame you have to rotate it every time you want to type full-qwerty, and I also hope they will include the option to turn off the key press function (which would speed things up a great deal) on the single-dome release model... but I doubt it, considering how much RIM have spent developing the (flawed) tech. The capacitive screen is highly responsive, though (even if the software is sluggish).

In all honesty, the Bold is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better device for serial typers, and unless the single-dome setup really is something special (and solid as heck), I can't see crackberry type addicts taking a liking to it. As a device, it opens the door for media enthusiasts and secret iPhone-envy BB users, but to me at least, the UI and media functions are nowhere near as good as the Apple device, nor is it a substitute for the excellent Bold keyboard. I think it sits between the two devices, and certainly could never be called an 'iPhone killer' by anyone other than a fanboy.

Still, it's early days for RIM in the touchscreen arena. My own opinion to their future? a Bold with a slightly larger screen, touch enabled. That would be the best of both worlds - a great keypad, and the death of the horrible trackball. I would snap up such a device in seconds.

I'm going to try out the Storm when it comes out as a final release model, and if it hasn't improved, get back my Bold. I'm coming, baby!
    10-16-08 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD