I have a Storm and thoroughly enjoy it. My question is in regards to how I can link my e mail to my blackberry and not have new mail updates show up in the messages.

-The integrated mail client bugs me due to the fact that whenever I send an e mail a copy appears in my in box as a �new message�. I am also frustrated by the lack of syncing between the blackberry client and my g mail (if for example I delete a message on the �handheld and server� the message is often still on the server). This has lead me delete the e mail from my BB and to use googles own mail app which works very well and solves both of these issues.

-The downside to this is the fact that when I am for example looking at a picture and I want to use the quick link to �email this picture� I am left without the option of using my e mail to send the image.

Does anyone know how I can integrate these functions to with g mails app so that I can send images, ect from my e mail? Alternatively does anyone know how I can link my e mail to my BB and hide new messages and e mails from appearing in the �messages� feed?

Thanks
    -Michael I
    01-16-09 08:32 AM
    You won't be able to separate it out from your main Messages folder if you are retrieving GMail through BIS. You should also be able in your Options>>Email Reconciliation to change "Delete On" to 'Mailbox & Handheld'.
    01-16-09 08:49 AM
    Turn off delivery receipt and it will stop sending you a copy when you send it. Worked for me.

For the other issue of syncing I've set up Imap for gmail. I've read it's not supported well but mine is working awesome. I can't post the URL since I don't have 10 posts yet but just google gmail imap and you can find it under supported devices. Lots on CB also if you search.
    01-16-09 08:54 AM
    You can use a the Empower app to separate your BES & BIS emails.
    01-16-09 08:54 AM
    The best for you would be the gmail app that you actually install on your phone - this will give you a "carbon copy" of the gmail inbox including contacts.

It is not as fast to sync but if you are not looking for instant push it is solid.
    Last edited by markyoung04; 01-16-09 at 09:51 AM.
    01-16-09 09:34 AM
    Turn off delivery receipt and it will stop sending you a copy when you send it. Worked for me.

For the other issue of syncing I've set up Imap for gmail. I've read it's not supported well but mine is working awesome. I can't post the URL since I don't have 10 posts yet but just google gmail imap and you can find it under supported devices. Lots on CB also if you search.
    IMAP won't give you true two way delete and update though...the gmail app does.

The link for the gmail app is:
    type into your phone: m.google.com/mail

My wife uses it and she loves it. I am on my Storm for personal email so much I have it setup as BIS and delete on both w/no confirm and it keeps my gmail clean. Only issue is the time I check email on my puter and not Storm but since I basically sleep with my Storm it has never bothered me .
    01-16-09 09:38 AM
    You can use a the Empower app to separate your BES & BIS emails.
    MAN I wish Empower was not so DARN expense - 30.00 just to have two email boxes?
    01-16-09 09:40 AM
    There's a HUGE thread already about the sent mail coming in as a new message in the threads. It's a known issue and has a very simple fix.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    01-16-09 09:40 AM
    The best for you would be the gmail app that actually installed on your phone - this will give you a "carbon copy" of the gmail inbox including contacts.

It is not as fast to sync but if you are not looking for instant push it is solid.
    How is that the best bet for the OP? He said in his post that he is already using the GMAIL app instead of the push email. He is trying to figure out a way that he can have all the functionality of BIS (such as opening and sending attachments), perform a two-way reconcile (emails deleted from Berry also delete from server) and not have his outgoing emails CCd to him.

The best way to do this is to set up IMAP for GMAIL, which will take care of the two-way reconcile and allow you to use BIS to send and view attachments and then to set up a filter that blocks all emails with a certain address (i.e. your address) from being pushed to the Berry. Then you will not receive your own outgoing emails.

You can find instructions for both of these with a simple text search on the forums.

The only problem with the filter, which for some reason a lot of people overlook, is that if you are actually trying to send yourself an email from your main GMAIL (e.g. on your PC) to your Berry for whatever reason (I often e-mail myself complex URLs that I don't feel like typing into the Berry manually or wallpapers that I design myself but don't want to use DM to sync), then unfortunately those will be filtered out. Also, AFAIK, if you send a bunch of people an email from your PC and CC yourself for whatever reason, you will not get the email since it is filtered.

It's too bad that BIS integration with GMAIL is so trashy, but I suspect that since Storm is a consumer device, that this will improve over time.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-16-09 at 09:56 AM.
    01-16-09 09:48 AM
    How is that the best bet for the OP? He said in his post that he is already using the GMAIL app instead of the push email. He is trying to figure out a way that he can have all the functionality of BIS (such as opening and sending attachments), perform a two-way reconcile (emails deleted from Berry also delete from server) and not have his outgoing emails CCd to him.

The best way to do this is to set up IMAP for GMAIL, which will take care of the two-way reconcile and allow you to use BIS to send and view attachments and then to set up a filter that blocks all emails with a certain address (i.e. your address) from being pushed to the Berry. Then you will not receive your own outgoing emails.

You can find instructions for both of these with a simple text search on the forums.

The only problem with the filter, which for some reason a lot of people overlook, is that if you are actually trying to send yourself an email from your main GMAIL (e.g. on your PC) to your Berry for whatever reason (I often e-mail myself complex URLs that I don't feel like typing into the Berry manually or wallpapers that I design myself but don't want to use DM to sync), then unfortunately those will be filtered out. Also, AFAIK, if you send a bunch of people an email from your PC and CC yourself for whatever reason, you will not get the email since it is filtered.

Currently, as you know, the GMAIL app does not send and receive attachments, but I suspect that functionality will be added in time.
    If you're cc'ing yourself, add another rule to your BIS filter that says "when "CC" field is (insert your email address here), deliver to device."

Just tested it and it works.

If you're sending yourself a link, I just send it to my @vzw.blackberry.net address.
    01-16-09 09:59 AM
    i have a very weird problem with gmail and bis. everything works perfectly except...

when i reply to specifically an email from a gmail account (with my gmail account), IMAP will not show any sent items in my sent box ....

anyone help?
    01-16-09 11:19 AM
    Great. Helped alot. I couldn't figure it out.
    01-16-09 11:49 AM
    There's a HUGE thread already about the sent mail coming in as a new message in the threads. It's a known issue and has a very simple fix.
    Thanks for posting that link. It was very helpful and my wife and I (both new to Blackberry in general) are all set up.
    01-16-09 06:36 PM
    The best way to do this is to set up IMAP for GMAIL, which will take care of the two-way reconcile
    Two-way read/unread syncing is not currently supported with Gmail IMAP and BIS (e.g., reading an email on gmail.com will not mark it as read on your phone, but reading it on your phone will mark it as read on gmail.com). Hopefully RIM will add this capability.
    01-16-09 07:20 PM
    i have a very weird problem with gmail and bis. everything works perfectly except...

when i reply to specifically an email from a gmail account (with my gmail account), IMAP will not show any sent items in my sent box ....

anyone help?
    figured it out; had to change my pin # on BIS from my curve to my storm.

whoops!
    01-16-09 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD