I had this as a thread response but figured it would be good as a thread

I have read post after post about people complaining about getting dust under the screen and I figured I would try a quick fix. This one will cost less than $15 ($13 for the hard case, about a buck and change for the sheet of laminate)

This was a piece cut to fit inside the hard case

Display through the laminate

The laminate sits behind the front piece and is held in by friction only. Whaen the case is assemble there is more than enough pressure to keep it in place. The flash shows the opacity of the material.

This material in particular kinda dulls out the screen slightly but I think once I get a gloss non reflective laminate I won't have this problem. The touch screen works as if there is nothing on there. I can still type fast and accurate, there is also a screen potector on the device itself. This is an easy fix that anyone with a hard case can do in less than 15 minutes and can be removed in 2 seconds.
    12-21-08 12:18 AM
    Build me one and ill buy it!
    12-21-08 12:20 AM
    Wish I would have seen this before that speck worked its way in.
    12-21-08 12:25 AM
    Build it and he ^h^h $$$ will come.

I haven't had any build up behind the screen yet but i know that if it gets in there and I notice it the device is as good as broke.
    12-21-08 12:31 AM
    I might be dense...but I really don't understand how this works. I have no dust/lint but know I want to guard against it.

A little further explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    12-21-08 12:46 AM
    Here are some more photos. basically the laminate sheet sits in between the device and the hard case, it covers the entire front prventing dust from getting behind the screen, in the buton, or in the earpice, and so far seems to be smudge free!

12-21-08 12:58 AM
    Hmm might give tha a shot once the innocase comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 01:40 AM
    thats actuallyn ot bad at all
    12-21-08 01:48 AM
    I actually thought about doing the same on a leather case

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 02:19 AM
    interesting...may have to try this..
    12-21-08 02:29 AM
    Ok ok....

Thanks for posting the details and the pictures.

I was thinking you were using magic or something to keep the plastic on there, but you are basically using a case to snap on the front and fix the plastic over the front.

I get it now.
    12-21-08 10:52 AM
    I wish i like those types of cases, becuase this seems like a good idea!
    12-21-08 11:00 AM
    the case itself actually makes holding th phone in landscape a bit easier...for me at least, I have huge hands so it's like holding onto something a bit bigger than a credit card
    12-21-08 03:23 PM
    Dude, I totally have that ottoman.

Anyways where would one purchase a sheet of laminate (sorry if this is a very naive question), and thanks for the great idea! I love the Storm!

Also PS
    Where'd you buy your case? Thanks.
    Last edited by Ob5erver; 12-21-08 at 05:06 PM.
    12-21-08 04:31 PM
    Dude, I totally have that ottoman.

Anyways where would one purchase a sheet of laminate (sorry if this is a very naive question), and thanks for the great idea! I love the Storm!

Also PS
    Where'd you buy your case? Thanks.
    buy the case on eBay. pretty cheap 10 to 20 bucks
    12-21-08 07:03 PM
    The case is available at the Verizon store for $19.99 and the laminate you can get at Staples(Kinkos) or Office Max for less than a buck! It will take ten minutes for you to cut the laminate to fit a fix it to your phone.(get the high gloss stuff and you won't even know you have it on there) This is a great "DIY" fix. Good luck let me know how it goes?!!!
    12-22-08 10:34 PM
    wow, berry cool. and you can use it in the rain... been raining alot lately in San Diego. Kudos, I like this fix. Hows the response with the laminate? Is the laminate secure? any slight play or movements when sliding your finger?
    12-22-08 10:47 PM
    sticky the **** out of this post. Not only does this prevent dust, but it also reduces risk of water getting in those cracks. That was a huge worry of mine

i love you

can you take this further and post links to purchase the case and the laminate?
    12-22-08 10:55 PM
    I think your idea is great. I've never used this type of case before. Will it fit into a side pocket holster?

I'm going to use it to keep moisture out.
    12-22-08 11:19 PM
    Awesome idea dude. I will for sure do this when i get my replacement. Thanks for the tip.
    12-23-08 01:32 AM
    Can anyone do a youtube of this? I am still skeptical.
    Why couldn't RIM just hermetically seal this thing?
    12-23-08 07:58 AM
    Does the laminate muffle the sound coming out of the earpiece at all since its covering it? I doubt it but just checking. I guess if worse came to worse then you could always trace the earpiece and cut out with a razor blade.
    12-23-08 09:11 AM
    I guess my main question about this, is how the laminate would fair over top the 4 buttons.. Does it crinkle up or bow at all when you push one of them?
    12-23-08 10:54 AM
    This fix does not:

Prevent dust, nor does it prevent water damage. Infact, it might be worst with water.

This is basically a "cover" that you're employing on top of your screen and the cracks. Since this is not a sealed solution, the only thing it will do is make it harder for dust to get in.

Dust, unfortunately, is small and is abundant. It'll get through the cover from the fact that it isn't completely sealed, same way the dust eventually gets into some people's screens.

This is not a safe guard against water. Water will drip to the side, between the laminate, under the crack, and worst stay there longer because your putting a cover on top slowing evaporation.

Rim really needs to seal the phone's screen properly this is really bad. My screen has at least 40 specs of dust under it.

to the OP, this is a definately a good solution to hinder dust in the screen, but just a warning to all that this is not a sure fire method.
    12-23-08 11:20 AM
    Laminate - Kinkos, you can buy a single sheet.
    Case - VZstore or EBAY...your call
    12-24-08 12:08 PM
102 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD