Technically, the dust is under the glass and on top of the screen - so it obscures your view.

And - people with newer models have complained on Crackberry about this same phenomenon, so evidently it isn't fixed in the newer models.

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly does dust under the screen look like? Im having a hard time understanding how dust could get "under" the screen and still be visible? If it was under the screen, wouldn't this mean it was behind it?

I'm just trying to figure out what to be watching for. Also has this problem been fixed yet in the newest models? I just got my Storm a couple days ago.

Thanks everyone, PS. I Love the CrackBerry!
    03-19-09 12:55 PM
    The screen protectors don't stop the dust coming in through the sides of the screen. It has to move because of the click.

I used Verizon screen protectors on mine and still got dust under the glass.

Um most screen protectors are under $10...you have a Storm so I don't know if you could consider spending $10 on a screen protector a waste of money...ones from Verizon work great and they come in packs of 3
    03-19-09 12:58 PM
    Had my second Storm for about a month I think. I just noticed dust under the screen again today!

I work in an office and look after my device - it's cased when it's not at my ear!

Anyway - Storm #3 is on it's way second day air!
    Same here, its cased and well cared for, working in an Office, where do you get your replacements? Through Assurion? My local stores dont want to exchange it!

Thanks
    JP
    03-19-09 01:30 PM
    unless RIM has finally made some manufacturing adjustments to "seal" the screen, the dust will keep on coming regardless how many replacements you go through. which is just a hassle imo. especially for people who've purchased apps that are locked to their PIN specifically, that means with each new replacement, you'd have to re-buy apps like quicklaunch.

the electric tape seal fix i mentioned prior works great for me, but i only recommend if you have some experience tinkering/dismantling electronics. it's really not rocket science.. jus requires some battle gloves with +2 dexterity. LOL

as for all you scaredy cats that are afraid to look inside your storm. i've read somewhere on CB that smartphones are for smart people. i concur.
    03-19-09 02:01 PM
    I simply call the Customer Service and select the options to get through to the BB Support people.

I explain I have dust between the glass and the screen and could they please send me a replacement. They send me a VZW Warranty replacement as this is a manufacturing defect, so you shouldn't need to go through your insurance.

Hope this helps!

Same here, its cased and well cared for, working in an Office, where do you get your replacements? Through Assurion? My local stores dont want to exchange it!

Thanks
    JP
    03-19-09 02:48 PM
    The Crackberry store has a nice feature that allows you to enter your device PIN number, so you don't have to repurchase Quick Launch etc.

If a Product I buy is not fit for the purpose for which it's sold, then I have it replaced. I do not pull it apart and void my warranty.

Now I may get sick and tired of doing this and end up with a Curve eventually, but I'm not quite there yet!

Unfortunately, I don't have +2 Dext on any gloves and I don't know an Enchanter that can do that one! So I'll stick with the replacements for now - but thanks for the info on the fix man - I appreciate it!

I do have +30 Smarts to helm though and I know my limitations when it comes to taking hardware apart - software is my background lol!

unless RIM has finally made some manufacturing adjustments to "seal" the screen, the dust will keep on coming regardless how many replacements you go through. which is just a hassle imo. especially for people who've purchased apps that are locked to their PIN specifically, that means with each new replacement, you'd have to re-buy apps like quicklaunch.

the electric tape seal fix i mentioned prior works great for me, but i only recommend if you have some experience tinkering/dismantling electronics. it's really not rocket science.. jus requires some battle gloves with +2 dexterity. LOL

as for all you scaredy cats that are afraid to look inside your storm. i've read somewhere on CB that smartphones are for smart people. i concur.
    Last edited by bbsean; 03-19-09 at 02:53 PM.
    03-19-09 02:51 PM
    This is the storm that I got in December... As you can see after a few months I had a snow storm under there. Now I have a new one and its all good!

03-19-09 10:51 PM
    Wow... that's a lot of dust... I was worried about mine, and I've got maybe 5% of what you have... Maybe I'll ask for a new one anyways if they'll offer it up no hassle...
    03-20-09 01:01 AM
    This is the storm that I got in December... As you can see after a few months I had a snow storm under there. Now I have a new one and its all good!
    thanks for the visual aid.
    03-20-09 02:15 AM
    I just got a new storm replaced the other week.

I called VZW and had to call a few times. I got my phone in 2 days.

According to the box I think the phone was made 2/23/2009 that is if thats what the manufacture date is on the box.

This phone seems to be working better and clicking seems more responsive.
    03-20-09 07:16 AM
    Looks like someone was trying to blow coke on your storm screen...
    03-20-09 07:17 AM
    ROFLMAO!!!!! Serious ****! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!
    03-21-09 02:12 AM
    Um most screen protectors are under $10...you have a Storm so I don't know if you could consider spending $10 on a screen protector a waste of money...ones from Verizon work great and they come in packs of 3
    Yea they cost lot $ form VZw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 03:24 AM
    ha. i have dust in my screen, but i dont think it has been getting any worse. i think it has reached an equilibrium of dust accumulation... (when phone is turned a certain way... some dust comes in and some leaves... making a bunch right in the middle) cant do anything about it cept wait until i cant stand it anymore and just give my phone to best buy and get a replacement because i bought there insurance plan... YES!!!
    03-21-09 05:14 AM
    just give my phone to best buy and get a replacement because i bought there insurance plan... YES!!!

LOL you may want to check that plan....
    03-23-09 01:12 AM
    I've been contemplating calling in about this. I've had my phone since launch and while it isn't a lot of dust, it's still annoying some times.
    03-23-09 08:53 AM
    ditto...im really thinkin about calling mine in...i mean its no snow storm...but its like a kid sitting in front of you with bad dandruff
    03-23-09 09:56 AM
    Does this dust move or it stays put?

I have found (what I believe) is one dust particle, toward the middle of my screen.

Is it between the screen protector and the screen? How did it get all the way there?
    03-23-09 03:49 PM
    call it in! Get a new storm! It's free! omgz... do it. Espeically if you 've had your storm since launch! You'll get a much better screen that clicks sooooo much better!
    03-23-09 04:24 PM
    This is seriously halarious man lol. But the "coke" your referring to is "coak" lol.

Just called Verizon and told them about some dust under my screen. Said a replacement will be shipped out and ill get it in 2 days, no questions asked. Not sure what to look for but heck. I am not paying anything for it so its worth a shot.
    03-24-09 03:04 PM
    I've had mine since release and haven't noticed any dust under my screen...
    03-24-09 03:46 PM
    I've had mine since release and haven't noticed any dust under my screen...
    Step outside on a really SUNNY day. Look at your phone with the screen off so it shows the black background. Then come back and post and let us know if you see dust.
    03-24-09 03:57 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD