OK, the little guy is a girl. I don't carry my phone in a pocket or a belt clip holster because... I'm a girl, and I work in an office environment. I carry my phone in either a nice clean padded compartment of my purse (which was only a few days old when the hair showed up) or, when I'm on the job (which entails being an IT Admin for a non-profit foundation where I am either in my office, in the server room, or traveling between our 10 sites working on computer issues) I carry it in my nice leather briefcase, which is also not full of cat hair and lint. At home it sits on a table (the cat is not allowed on the table.) The point here is, this is an expensive phone I bought purposefully because I needed the functionality of the Blackberry for my work. It has a Blackberry issue silicone case and the official Verizon screen protector. How is the fact, that something as large as a cat hair can get under or between the layers of the screen, the fault of the user? Personally I would never expect to loose a hard drive because it was not properly sealed and dust got in. This is not advertised as “just a cell phone” but as a sophisticated electronic device for professionals and consumers alike. I would think that the screen seal should be adequate to keep hairs out.

Thanks to those who gave me serious and helpful replies. I’ll try the vacuum when I get home tonight and let you know. I do not think the compressed air would be a good idea as this is just as likely to pack the dust and hair more firmly into the center of the screen.
    04-21-09 09:25 AM
    Unicorn- let me know how the vacuum thing goes. I have carried my phone in my pocket since i got it, so i wasnt supprised when dust got under the screen. The only options i have seen involve disassembling the phone, or prying off the screen. Im not really a huge fan of either option. I went to Verizon yesterday to buy the leather pouch (which i thought came with every Blackberry). Hopefully that will help with my dust problem. I talked to a rep at the VZW store and got the "I've never heard of this happening" story.
    04-21-09 09:55 AM
    i use the seidio innocase II and still got dust under mine......
    04-21-09 10:09 AM
    Read my post...I mentioned the issue with the dust under the screen. My point was is that the dust collects from your pocket....which in turn got under your screen...unfortunatly thats the drawback with the Storm....and I have already told you that. The link I posted is just a pouch to protect the phone while in your freaking pocket, hense keeping dust and other debrie from getting into or around your phone/screen. It doesn't mak you a nerd using one of those...its practical common sense...but I guess you don't have common sense...and thats totally up to you. I am not you I'm not going to tell you what to do I am just recommending it so that you don't keep posting screen dust post like 30 other people have on this forum.

Your Quote: And where else are you supposed to carry your phone besides your pocket?
    ===There are many other places you can put your phone besides your pocket.

- Purse, fanny pack, backpacks, holsters, etc etc etc.

The list could go on but the fact is there are many different places you can put a phone.

I guess your a nerd for having a Blackberry, were all nerds is some way or another....but I prefer a holster/belt clip over pouches, plus my holster/belt clip keeps my phone protected from drops, and other hazardous objects...thats what I prefer....but it doesn't make me a nerd....thats just you being insecure about yourself and making fun of people that do use them. Some people actually like to keep there $600 Blackberry Storms in pristine shape..I know I do.

Again I was just making a recommendation...that is all...

I use a BB leather holster and my phone is in an Innocase II and I have dust under my screen. Maybe I should be carrying mine in my pocket since it is obvious from you post that how you carry the phone is the problem. As said many times this is a manufacturing defect and no matter how you carry the phone if it has a gap between the screen layers then you are going to get dirt in there.
    04-21-09 10:11 AM
    My cat PUKED on mine. That was fun to find when I got up in the morning.
    ...that wasn't Puke, Jane that was a normal editoral comment by disgruntled Vista user.......

Mac's Rule!

Hawk
    04-21-09 11:32 AM
    Role the dice and get another phone. I've had my phone since 12/1/2008. I always carry in my pocket. It's a very dusty pocket. I have 2 dogs, a cat, a hampster, and 5 rabbits. I routinely use a stereo microscope and fine tweezers to remove the lint and fur from the groove surrounding the screen about once every 2 weeks. I haven't found one spec of anything in the display. I have read in the dust threads there are a number of people that also don't have dust. Some people are suggesting manufacturing variations are the problem. It appears you just have to get lucky. Not sure what the odds are with this game.
    04-21-09 11:48 AM
    All valid points from posters. I guess I "assumed" the worst and didn't think logically...for that I applogize. Hides in corner and cowers....

Maybe they should put a little wiper inside of the screen area so every once in awile it removes the dust....ya know sorta like a scanner but with a cleaning brush that slides across the whole screen.....hehe yeah I'm day dreaming but it wouldn't be a bad idea....
    04-21-09 09:39 PM
    Having a stray hair under your screen beats the heck out of a stray hair up your a$$...
    04-21-09 09:44 PM
    OK, the little guy is a girl.
    LOL!

It's funny I was just trying to help a fellow Storm user and once it's known it's a girl the rants turn to crap.

Unicorn let us know how it goes my Storm is in an Otterbox but stll needs a GOOD cleaning once in awhile. :/
    04-22-09 01:32 AM
    Run a vacuum cleaner around the screen edge. If that wont work put tape around the screen crack and leave just a one inch opening at opposite ends of the screen then apply vacuum to one of the open sides.
    04-22-09 03:28 AM
    I only have one question for you and that is.....Where do you keep your BB Storm when its with you? I believe I am 99.9% correct on my answer....IN YOUR PANTS POCKET???? Buy a holster or leather case for your phone......then these things wont happen....I use a holster/case and I havn't had one issue with dust or dirt or even cat hair..........
    Oh how wrong you are, sir. I keep my blackberry in the leather RIM pouch. The only time it is not in that pouch is if I'm using it or if it is sitting on a desk or piece of furniture. It never touches the inside of my pocket, backpack, car cubbie, etc without being in that pouch. It has been that way since the day I got it. It still has managed to get dirt under the screen. One of the specks is large enough to confuse for a punctuation mark; another looks like a small hair or fiber of somekind.

By the way, this is my second Storm. I returned the first one because the dirt specks under the screen became numerous enough really start bothering me. The first one was treated just as well as this one. It just doesn't matter.

-SR-
    04-23-09 10:27 AM
    Man, if there was just a way to get the junk out from behind the screen, I'd be ok with it. After all, I didn't mind removing the track ball on my 8830 every once in a while to clean the rollers off.

-SR-
    04-23-09 10:33 AM
    By the way, this is my second Storm. I returned the first one because the dirt specks under the screen became numerous enough really start bothering me. The first one was treated just as well as this one. It just doesn't matter.

-SR-
    How many other people have requested replacements and had the same thing happen? I have a fair amount of dust under my screen, but I'm not sure I want to get a replacement if it's just going to happen again. Anyone got a refurb and NOT gotten dust?
    04-23-09 02:43 PM
    I only have one question for you and that is.....Where do you keep your BB Storm when its with you? I believe I am 99.9% correct on my answer....IN YOUR PANTS POCKET???? Buy a holster or leather case for your phone......then these things wont happen....I use a holster/case and I havn't had one issue with dust or dirt or even cat hair..........
    I have to agree with this..however I keep mine in a holster 90% of the time....and yes i have some dust but only in the upper right corner and its only visable with certain backgrounds...currently dust is not ont the warrenty list as an issue with verizon...although some do get it replaced and I can say that as a rep at vzw it is not a warrentable issue.....
    04-23-09 03:17 PM
    I have had my Storm for about 5 months(since December) and have never pocketed it, I always keep it in the holster. I am beginning to see dust/lint all over the screen, so obviously a holster doesn't work 100% at keeping dust out...
    05-01-09 04:29 PM
    I do not own a BlackBerry. Never have, probably never will. At the moment I have a Sony Ericsson W595. Best phone I've ever had. But there is 1 hair under the screen!!! It wasn't like that when I bought it btw. It's my fault. But a solution is to go to a phone shop and have a new screen put in. I don't know how expensive/cheap that is but it's the best idea on here. Or you can open up your phone and replace the screen with something off eBay. Hope this helps.
    02-15-14 06:08 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD