Since the last software upgrade to .328 software from VZW, I'm noticing I'm starting up with dangerously low memory levels.

My apps include:
    Weatherbug
    Youmail visual voicemail plus
    Youtube
    Slacker
    Lights out
    Reversi
    My Verizon
    App World
    Patternlock
    BBFilescout
    Speedtest
    Quickpull free (doesn't work)
    Mobile Banking

I had been using Telenav but removed it about a month ago - I had viigo but never used it so I deleted it.
    I haven't added any new apps in a month but my startup memory continues to drop. As it is, I'm having to do a battery pull every 36 hours or less, otherwise I'm starting to get lockups. My .328 install was over .323, non-shrunken. What can I do here?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 01:07 PM
    did you try shrinking the os first? (SAOS - SHRINK AN OPERATING SYSTEM)
    12-02-09 01:15 PM
    I'm in the same boat...I have minimal apps loaded on my phone, yet since I loaded .328, my start-up app memory has dwindled each and every battery pull when the only thing I've added is the eBay app. It was around 19MB at start-up shortly after the upgrade, now it's down to around 15.2MB at start-up. After about 24 hours, it's down to 12-13MB and at 36 hours it's down to 10ish. PITA, if you ask me, but it still works for the most part. But I am kind of paranoid that it's going to start erasing my calendar entries (I'm an attorney and it might be seriously bad for business if I miss an appointment/docket/hearing/etc.). I would love some sort of guidance, besides the obvious SAOS, no offense rayzryd266, partially because I feel like it shouldn't come to that just to get my phone to be stable. Unless someone can quickly and easily walk me through that as well, I might resort to the SAOS.
    12-02-09 01:42 PM
    .328 is a bigger OS (taking more memory) then 4.7. And it may depend on if the apps you have use a lot of memory/you keep them open all the time or not.
    12-02-09 01:46 PM
    When you get down to 0 MB free, some utility pops up that lists apps and the memory they are taking up (and asks you which ones you want to delete). Is that thing accurate? Because it says Slacker is taking up something like 30 MB of memory. Could that be right? "Right" as in, if I delete Slacker, I'll have 30 MB more free memory than I have now?

It says this whether Slacker is running or not.
    12-02-09 01:53 PM
    App world is a huge memory hog, so unless you use it often I would get rid of it. Also if quickpull doesn't work, I would also delete that. Cdowner is right, though, 5.0 is a much larger OS than any of the 4.7 OS's.

12-02-09 01:54 PM
    I get that its a bigger OS. I ran several 5.0 releases before .328 and when I ran .323 I was seeing 22-24MB free and when I installed .328 it booted with 22MB. So this is a definite drop over time.

12-02-09 02:09 PM
    delete your emails
    12-02-09 02:30 PM
    When you get down to 0 MB free, some utility pops up that lists apps and the memory they are taking up (and asks you which ones you want to delete). Is that thing accurate? Because it says Slacker is taking up something like 30 MB of memory. Could that be right? "Right" as in, if I delete Slacker, I'll have 30 MB more free memory than I have now?

It says this whether Slacker is running or not.
    Maybe it is taking up 3.0mb, which sounds like too much, but definitely not 30mb.
    12-02-09 03:11 PM
    delete your emails
    I'm not sure why emails would be taking from application memory, I tried it anyway, ran the system memory cleaner and did a battery pull, and it booted with just 10.8MB application memory.

So... I'm still dumbfounded.

12-02-09 03:15 PM
    If you want more memory, download and shrink the OS before you put it on the phone. With the apps you have installed, you should boot with 30-35ish after a shrink.
    12-02-09 03:29 PM
    Maybe it is taking up 3.0mb, which sounds like too much, but definitely not 30mb.
    Deleted Slacker and rebooted. Now at 15.5 instead of like 13.x. So yeah, not nearly the 30 MB it said.

It would be really nice if the device would just TELL ME what's taking up all this memory.
    12-02-09 05:11 PM
    The OS is what is taking up all of the memory. Download the OS, shrink it, and then put it on your phone.
    12-02-09 05:43 PM
    I really do appreciate the feedback here, but how is the OS taking up all of the memory? I understand that shrinking the OS will help but the fact remains that when I installed the OS I had double the memory available that I have now with no real change in the apps that I'm using.

12-02-09 05:49 PM
    Each 5.0 is larger, it's just .328 is the largest of them all. Although you have the same amount of app usage (your list of apps), the OS is larger and takes up more than it did before, therefor leaving you with less than you've had with the other 5.0 OS's.
    12-02-09 05:52 PM
    I really do appreciate the feedback here, but how is the OS taking up all of the memory? I understand that shrinking the OS will help but the fact remains that when I installed the OS I had double the memory available that I have now with no real change in the apps that I'm using.

Each 5.0 is larger, it's just .328 is the largest of them all. Although you have the same amount of app usage (your list of apps), the OS is larger and takes up more than it did before, therefor leaving you with less than you've had with the other 5.0 OS's.

Yup that's what it is.
    12-02-09 06:06 PM
    But I thought each OS was to help the device run better? Not slow it down or take up memory we can use for something else.
    Are all Blackberries like this? How about a Tour?
    12-02-09 06:16 PM
    You guys aren't getting it. When I installed the current version, when it was released, I had 22-24MB free. That is after I installed it and it was running with all my apps. This is not a change after I installed the OS. This is a gradual decrease over the time I've been using .328.

Saying each OS is bigger does not apply to my problem!

12-02-09 06:23 PM
    You guys aren't getting it. When I installed the current version, when it was released, I had 22-24MB free. That is after I installed it and it was running with all my apps. This is not a change after I installed the OS. This is a gradual decrease over the time I've been using .328.

Saying each OS is bigger does not apply to my problem!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you meant it was decreasing over time, you should have said that from the beginning. It sounds like you might have a permanent memory leak, the only thing I can tell you is to try backing up, wiping, and reloading.
    12-02-09 06:26 PM
    and shrink all the bloated non used stuff out before you reload - add one app at a time and watch the memory for a bit before adding the next. If it's an app causing the leak this should find it - also are you using themes of any kind
    12-02-09 06:30 PM
    I have the same problem. I even started a thread here about it, too. Nobody had any suggestions, though.

About a month ago, I shrunk .328 and installed it. Everything was great for a while. I was booting at 49MB. But recently I noticed that I start with less and less app memory with each battery pull. I boot now at about 42MB. Like you, I haven't added anything new, I turned off everything in the event log, all of my databases combined only total about 90K, and I delete emails and text messages regularly.

Like one poster said in my thread - this is not a memory leak problem, it's a memory loss problem. Something is gobbling up memory and not releasing it.
    12-02-09 07:46 PM
    I had a similar problem and couldn't work out why. Then I noticed that Windows had managed to sync all the picture files, documents, music and video files I stored on my laptop. I guess without realising it I had agreed to it.

While I was cleaning up the files on the Media card and deleting the folders that my memory increased from 9.4 mb to 27.6 mb.

I presume that the device memory stores information about the files and folders and as I deleted them the device memory increased, it was actually rising fast when it deleted the files off the media card (I used windows to remove them). I also cancelled the sync settings on windows.

Even now with more software installed than before I have a 26mb start device memory.

Just a suggestion.
    12-02-09 09:09 PM
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize you meant it was decreasing over time, you should have said that from the beginning. It sounds like you might have a permanent memory leak, the only thing I can tell you is to try backing up, wiping, and reloading.

I agree and while you're at it I would recommend using Shrink-A-OS.
    12-02-09 10:41 PM
    dont forget to BBSAK wipe to 502 before you install any OS upgrade. better to start wid a clean slate and not just pile OS on top of OS!
    12-03-09 01:18 AM
    Deleting pics does not do much. I just deleted about 25 and only gained .2mb.

12-03-09 01:40 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD