This new Storm has me signing up for yet ANOTHER forum. (Im on so many others for cars and whatnot).

Anyways, I know by default the Storm turns on the analog clock when I plug it in to the dock.

Currently, I disabled that clock, and now the phone just sits with the screen BLACK, until I press it and it lights up with the main menu screen.

I would like for it to just stay lit up when plugged in so I can see when new messages come in rather than having to click and look and check.

Is there a way to make it stay in the screen ON mode when plugged in/docked?

Any reasons I wouldn't want to do this?
    01-18-09 11:04 PM
    Keeping the phone docked all the time is bad for the battery
    you already have instant notification of messages via the LED
    you can change the clock display settings.
    01-18-09 11:15 PM
    Picky, picky, picky.......................
    01-18-09 11:20 PM
    Keeping the phone docked all the time is bad for the battery
    you already have instant notification of messages via the LED
    you can change the clock display settings.
    I could see where if "all the time" was literal...but there is nothing wrong with keeping your device charging/docked for extended periods or time. I keep my device tethered to my laptop about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and I have not had one bit of problems with my battery.

There are several types of batteries out there and yes, some experience ill effects if left charging for prolonged periods of time.
    01-18-09 11:39 PM
    Guess I'm screwed then because my Storm is docked during my sleeping hours next to the bed and sometimes in the middle of the day it's docked at the computer. Oddly enough it easily makes it throught eh day on 1 or 2 bars with GPS and bluetooth services enabled... These are Lithium Ion batteries, so they can be charged at random or whatever without ill effects unless they are just plain defective.

And for the OP...I don't think that's possible. I know if you open a GPS app then it will stay on for that, but otherwise it's either nothing or the clock as far as I know. If it helps any, you can change the clock to digital, LCD digital, flip, or analog views. Then just watch your led light for messages I guess.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 01-19-09 at 12:41 AM. Reason: edit
    01-19-09 12:38 AM
    You can tell it to not show clock when in charging mode....
    01-19-09 01:30 AM
    Yes, I have it not showing the clock when its docked/charging.

I was just hoping there was a way to keep it lit up. I know its picky, but its hard to notice the tiny LED light when I have the phone docked right below 3 - 24" monitors on my desk.
    01-19-09 08:59 PM
    I'm not sure I understand this question, but what about putting it onto charge, enabling the clock (if it doesn't come on automatically) and then just going into bedside mode ?

Doctor Neutron
    01-19-09 09:21 PM
    I like using Slacker Radio in the car and it would be nice to have the screen stay on when plugged into the lighter so you could glance down and see the album information.
    01-19-09 09:23 PM
    Here is the trick. Go to the clock options and set the following options:

Clock
    When Charging: Select Enter Bedside Mode

Bedside Mode
    Dim Screen: Select Yes

Save

After it goes into Bedside mode when you plug it in, press the red hangup button. It will go to the home screen and the screen stays on. You can then go to whatever screen you want.
    01-19-09 10:09 PM
    dont the chargers have a shutoff feature when it reaches 100%? thus keeping it on the charger all the time doesnt really matter?
    01-19-09 10:17 PM
    There's an app that when u get a message the screen lights up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 10:25 PM
    When the clock is show while in the cradle just press the bb button and select switch applications. Choose the home screen' You can run any app at that point and the screen will on.
    01-19-09 11:50 PM
    Here is the trick. Go to the clock options and set the following options:

Clock
    When Charging: Select Enter Bedside Mode

Bedside Mode
    Dim Screen: Select Yes

Save

After it goes into Bedside mode when you plug it in, press the red hangup button. It will go to the home screen and the screen stays on. You can then go to whatever screen you want.
    This is a great tip. It works great for me. Thanks
    01-22-09 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD