A little tip i just picked up on.

When texting in qwerty use your right hand for the right side of the keyboard
    and left for left side

The storm was designed to assume if your using your left hand and going to type "w" you will be pressing on a angle.

I sometimes use my right hand for the left side and im always off in typing and finally figured out why.

**sorry explaining it is kinda tuff hopefully that worked**
    01-17-09 09:15 PM
    Yeah, I have seen that posted but it's definitely true.
    01-17-09 09:21 PM
    Yeah I noticed this also. Its so hard getting out of the habbit of doing that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 09:30 PM
    This was posted numerous times but thank you.
    01-17-09 09:35 PM
    Well I would have assumed most bb users who narmally use a full qwerty keyboard would use this typing style. Thanks for sharing anyway that's what's this place is all about.

01-17-09 09:39 PM
    Its like Ghost Busters... Don't cross the streams.

01-17-09 10:22 PM
    Why would anyone cross their finger while texting?

Actually, on a serious note, then which hand should you use for the center row?

01-17-09 11:31 PM

Actually, on a serious note, then which hand should you use for the center row?

Im not to sure on that, but i use my right hand
    01-18-09 10:02 AM
    it just takes practicee, but it can be tough
    01-18-09 10:09 AM
    This is one of the issues that is crushing me when it comes to adapting to the Storm and its virtual keyboard after coming from the Palm 700P.

Words like can always come out as van
    are comes out as ate
    other comes out as othet
    you comes out as yoy
    And so on and so on...

Sometimes auto correct gets the ones like yoy and othet. But with words like can-van and are-ate, it doesn't (How can it, they are spelled correctly... Just not the word I intended). Couple that with the fact that v and b constantly get pressed instead of the space bar, and I can get pretty frustrated when I need to type something quickly and it comes out as giberish. And then there are the accidental presses of the sym key and inadvertent swipes that make the keyboard disappear as I try and type, that add to it all.

In fact, I may have to return the phone because the words "I hate this f#@&ing phone" came out of my mouth yesterday in frustration after having to retype something for the 5th time because of the issues described above.
    Last edited by Billmanvl; 01-18-09 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Gramatical error
    01-18-09 12:06 PM
    Hi,

Although this topic may have been "posted numerous times" some of us who visit Crackberry may have missed it, so I want to thank you for your helpful info.
    Last edited by Carol64; 01-18-09 at 12:25 PM.
    01-18-09 12:17 PM
    are comes out as ate
    I do that one all the time.
    01-18-09 12:33 PM
    great tip!

01-18-09 12:36 PM
    I need to get used to this still. I cross over sometimes if I am typing a word that has two letters next to eachother on the left side, for example. I type without thinking so it just happens. I am the same on thec computer keyboard sometimes too (I think, I dont honestly know because I never look at the keyboard, I just put my hands there and they jump about)
    01-18-09 01:28 PM
    What do you mean by center row? There's a wider "aisle" down the middle that you can see on the landscape keyboard, with QWERT on the left and YUIOP on the right, and the only thing in the middle in the space bar which works fine with either thumb.
    01-18-09 01:47 PM
    When all of the developers in the mobile world come together and create a context filter rather than an autocorrect dictionary, that is when van and can won't make a difference.

Until then, that left/right thumb thing is indeed a hard habit to break. While playing with it in the store, I had to keep catching myself.
    01-18-09 01:48 PM
    If your other hand is busy with a pen, another phone, typing on the computer, etc. I find it easier just to put down the Storm if I ever need to type with one hand.
    01-18-09 02:06 PM
    What do you mean by center row? There's a wider "aisle" down the middle that you can see on the landscape keyboard, with QWERT on the left and YUIOP on the right, and the only thing in the middle in the space bar which works fine with either thumb.
    What do you mean by "wider aisle down the middle". Visually that aisle looks the same the other four to me. Are you saying that the area of sensitivity beneath the visual buttons is wider? Doesn't really matter to me - which hand I use in the center row is not something I do consciously. I think that I tend to alternate using my right thumb and left thumb in that row, but I'm not sure what drives the reflexive decision. I tend to use my left thum for T, G, B and my right for Y, H, N but that doesn't seem to be the case all the time either. Hardly worth thinking about but I'm tired of reading about battery pulls and application memory.

Last edited by Sharkz; 01-18-09 at 02:19 PM.
    01-18-09 02:17 PM
    What do you mean by "wider aisle down the middle". Visually that aisle looks the same the other four to me. Are you saying that the area of sensitivity beneath the visual buttons is wider? Doesn't really matter to me - which hand I use in the center row is not something I do consciously. I think that I tend to alternate using my right thumb and left thumb in that row, but I'm not sure what drives the reflexive decision. I tend to use my left thum for T, G, B and my right for Y, H, N but that doesn't seem to be the case all the time either. Hardly worth thinking about but I'm tired of reading about battery pulls and application memory.

If you look very carefully and closely, you will see that space(vertical) in the center of the QWERTY keyboard is slightly wider indicting that the left thumb be used for the left side and the right thumb used for the keys on right side of that space. It's not much wider but it is wider.
    01-18-09 03:01 PM
    This is one of the lessons that I had to learn when I had my Storm, but now that I got a Curve I cross all the time. It makes for much faster typing.

For example, if I type 'that's' I'll hit the t with my left, then the a with my left but since it's a bit far over I just cross over and hit the t with my right.
    01-18-09 03:09 PM

If you look very carefully and closely, you will see that space(vertical) in the center of the QWERTY keyboard is slightly wider indicting that the left thumb be used for the left side and the right thumb used for the keys on right side of that space. It's not much wider but it is wider.
    Yep, that's what I was referring to. There's a very slightly larger "aisle" between the TGV and YHB.
    01-18-09 03:25 PM
    This is one of the issues that is crushing me when it comes to adapting to the Storm and its virtual keyboard after coming from the Palm 700P.

Words like can always come out as van
    are comes out as ate
    other comes out as othet
    you comes out as yoy
    And so on and so on...

Sometimes auto correct gets the ones like yoy and othet. But with words like can-van and are-ate, it doesn't (How can it, they are spelled correctly... Just not the word I intended). Couple that with the fact that v and b constantly get pressed instead of the space bar, and I can get pretty frustrated when I need to type something quickly and it comes out as giberish. And then there are the accidental presses of the sym key and inadvertent swipes that make the keyboard disappear as I try and type, that add to it all.

In fact, I may have to return the phone because the words "I hate this f#@&ing phone" came out of my mouth yesterday in frustration after having to retype something for the 5th time because of the issues described above.
    exactly! Those ate the words I always have trouble with, yoy know? As well as othet ones.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
    01-18-09 04:21 PM
    Yep, that's what I was referring to. There's a very slightly larger "aisle" between the TGV and YHB.
    Sorry guys - I was talking about the portrait Sure-type keyboard, which has a center aisle and has similar issues if you try to use left thumb on right side or left on right.

We have now officially spent more time on this than it deserves though I do appreciate the typing practice.

01-18-09 05:56 PM
    Wow I feel like I'm stuck in November of 2008 with this latest discovery.

01-18-09 06:13 PM
    Wow I feel like I'm stuck in November of 2008 with this latest discovery.

The observation about this typing method HAS been made several times, a fact that has been pointed out a couple of times in this thread already. The original poster was trying to be helpful and I was actually enjoying that most people were being kind in this thread. My husband refers to this site as "the crackwars board" because so many of the responses have a nasty tone. I personally use it as a last resort (and obviously rarely post) because although there is good information here, I have a job and a family and most of the time when I have a question, I need an answer, not a sarcastic referral to a search function that may take more time than I have to spare. It is ridiculous to expect people to read every post on this board before they make one to ensure they don't duplicate a tip or question. That said, I still have trouble with crossing over on the keyboard on the storm. Hard stupid habit to break but if I pay attention, now that I have tweaked the keyboard settings, I can type really fast on her. There is a big learning curve it just takes practice.
    01-18-09 06:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD