hey dik, did you read my post? Nothing was in my pocket. Nothing has scratched my screen with a protector, but in 1 week with no protector, SCRATCH. The point of my post was to make people think twice about glorifying a nude screen. Guess cause you are so lucky, you don't care. But when you have a random scratch occur I will be that laugh you hear in the back of your empty skull!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Now kids, can't we just get along and play nicely...?
    11-22-09 12:06 PM
    Now kids, can't we just get along and play nicely...?
    I'm trying to make a solid point here. USE A PROTECTOR!

11-22-09 12:34 PM
    hey dik, did you read my post? Nothing was in my pocket. Nothing has scratched my screen with a protector, but in 1 week with no protector, SCRATCH. The point of my post was to make people think twice about glorifying a nude screen. Guess cause you are so lucky, you don't care. But when you have a random scratch occur I will be that laugh you hear in the back of your empty skull!

Whatever. You seem to be very concerned about this so make sure you wear your protector. I am still under my own beliefs. I really could care less. I already my opinion. Just for the record, the screen is GLASS.
    When you have a discussion, try to use sentences and words that mean something, other then "dik" or "dude". It usually shows the intelligence of the writer.
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 11-22-09 at 05:53 PM.
    11-22-09 05:15 PM
    Whatever. You seem to be very concerned about this so make sure you wear your protector. I am still under my own beliefs. I really could care less. I already my opinion. Just for the record, the screen is GLASS.
    When you have a discussion, try to use sentences and words that mean something, other then "dik" or "dude". It usually shows the intelligence of the writer.
    And glass scratches. So don't you think the best advice for new users is to protect their investment? That's all I'm saying. Trying to help the less knowing around here.

11-22-09 05:56 PM
    And glass scratches. So don't you think the best advice for new users is to protect their investment? That's all I'm saying. Trying to help the less knowing around here.

My advice is still the same, a protector is not needed. Your advice is different. So be it. I believe it is difficult to scratch glass. I believe the protector won't stop a scratch since the force needed to scratch the glass screen would be sufficient to go through the protector anyway. I have had the Storm 1 for over a year, no protector, no problems. My wife, the same. My Storm 2, pulled the protector off. So ... I live by my beliefs with my equipment. The OP asked and I responded in trying to help the "less knowing" with my experience and I will continue to do so. I am sure will also.
    11-22-09 11:13 PM
    I believe the protector won't stop a scratch since the force needed to scratch the glass screen would be sufficient to go through the protector anyway.
    That's EXACTLY what I've been thinking reading through this whole thread.

Makes sense to me.
    11-23-09 08:10 AM
    This is bad advice dude. What if your wrong and thousands of people scratch their screens.

Yes you are quite right. How stupid of me having gone to the effort of trying to get to the bottom of this by actually trying to scratch the face of a broken Storm.

So just for you...

So, despite the fact that I tried to scratch my screen with a stanley blade and it did not scratch I should maybe point out that if you maybe try to scratch it with say, mmm, a diamond, it will in fact scratch.

Using a screen protector will shield against you scratching your screen should you happen to want to scratch it with a diamond, which I can imagine a lot of you are just gagging to try.

In fact Apple are so vexxed by the superior quality of the Storms screen that they are giving away free diamonds to anyone who purchases an Iphone just so as they can scratch the screen of anyone using a Storm without a screen protector.
    11-23-09 01:48 PM
    Just for our special little friend I have an update regarding scratching your Storm screen

Scientists have calculated that a material called wurtzite boron nitride (w-BN) has a greater indentation strength than diamond.

So again should you happen to want to scratch your screen you could maybe consider this as an option in leiu of not having any diamond handy.

Or maybe you could just waste your money and buy a screen cover?
    11-23-09 02:12 PM
    Using a screen protector on a BB Storm is like wearing a condom.
    I like this attitude.

I noticed when in America recently a lot of guys wearing a strange leather cover over their watches. I asked one of them what it was and he said it was to protect his Rolex face. "So you protect something beautiful by covering it? Then who gets to see how beautifully maintained your watch is?" He replied "I do"

"What for the split second you take the stupid cover off?"

He did not see my point, went to the car park. Two minutes later some muppet drove out in a Trans Am with a stupid faux leather cover over his bonnet (hood). I am guessing it was the same chap.

Probably carries his cellphone in a pelicase
    11-23-09 02:23 PM
    no my phone for sure did not come with a protector, they sold me one seperately when i purchased the phone but i didnt put it on

as for the rock thing, i was just saying how it only takes 1 thing to happen before you treat your phone like a baby afterwards.

needless to say, OP use protection
    . One mistake is all it takes to trash a exspensive phone but do what you want. Drop your phone one time and regret it later when your staring at your scratched or chipped screen because you don't want to spend ten bucks .

11-24-09 05:00 AM
    The Storm screen is glass, not plastic like other smart phones. You don't need a screen protector at all. Took mine off a year ago and the screen still looks like new.
    My last phone was a moto Q with a glass front and glass does scratch and yes it was glass because th cheap replacment phone remanufactuerd crap from asurion verizons insurance keeper the screen popped out and shattered .

11-24-09 05:24 AM
    They have screen protectors at walmart you cut to fit you get three sheets for around five bucks i replace mine every few weeks always looks new that way.
    You replace them even few weeks because you bought them at Walmart. For $10 / 3 protectors on the Verizon site, they will last you a year of normal use.
    To the OP - OEM Screen protectors are almost completely invisible, smudge less and do not take away from the responsiveness of the screen.
    I pay double for the lenses I put in my glasses to take away the worry from putting them face down on a table or scratching them when they drop.
    For the Storm, you get a peace of mind for a measly $10-$12.
    Why the h3ll not?
    11-24-09 07:34 AM
    At a few dollars each why NOT use a screen protector?
    11-24-09 08:06 AM
    Screen protectors for this phone are a COMPLETE waste. Its the equivilent of putting a screen protector on the winshield of your car, sure its expensive to replace but its durable. I bought a pack when I first bought the Storm, they are a pain to put on without bubbles, make it tougher to see the screen clearly, and scratch waaaay too easily. A guy I work with got the Storm the same time as me and didn't use them and after the first 2 months his screen was in perfect condition. After that I ditched the screen protectors and put my 1st Storm thru 6 months of ****. I probably dropped that thing about 100x on pavement, dirt, gravel, sand, kept it in my pocket with keys, lose change, sand from the beach every weekend. And there was not one scratch on the screen. The casing of it was a completely different story and the Send and lock buttons took a beating to the point they no longer worked, which is part of the reason I am on my 2nd Storm. There was one crack on the screen. I took it on a carnival ride, the one that plays music and spins in a circle. I was sitting on the outside and after about 5 minutes smashed against a metal bar it put a hairline crack under the screen. You could only see it when the screen was black tho. It was still in much better condition after the ride than my friends curve whos plastic screen cracked down the middle and my other friends iphone that spider cracked the entire screen. My 2nd Storm has endured much less, has been dropped a handful of times over the past 4 months and only faced 1 month at the beach and that screen is also scratchless. Just a ding on the casing from when i dropped it on the sidewalk and scratches on the battery cover from the keys in my pocket.

Moral of the story ditch the screen protectors, they are worthless on the Storm.
    11-24-09 10:10 AM
    My last phone was a moto Q with a glass front and glass does scratch and yes it was glass because th cheap replacment phone remanufactuerd crap from asurion verizons insurance keeper the screen popped out and shattered .

LOL ... you do not that punctuation is free on CB. Anyway, never said that glass couldn't be scratched, only that the protector would not stop the damage. As far as your Moto-Q .... well, need we say more.
    11-24-09 12:21 PM
90 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD