View Poll Results: Do you use the BB Browser, or Opera Mini?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • BB Browser

67 65.05%
  • Opera Mini

8 7.77%
  • Both - I switch.

28 27.18%
    Make sure you disable compatibility mode captain, sir. ...
    Thanks!!!!

As you were
    11-26-08 10:24 AM
    Thanks fonebrkr. It was disabled by default it seems..
    11-26-08 10:33 AM
    Meaning...it should be left as ' enable comparability mode ' correct ? (mine was already in that position ,btw).
    My keyboard still doesn't pop up when I highlight the url box though. Does anyone elsesb

Thanks!!!!

As you were
    11-26-08 10:39 AM
    OM does not have an actual version for the Storm.. yet! But yes, I would use OM. I'm sure when the Storm version actually comes out, it's going to be awesome!
    11-26-08 10:40 AM
    it's not in opera itself,
    On your storm, go to options>advanced options>applications>highlight but don't click, opera mini 4.2>hit the menu key and disable compatibility mode will be in the menu..
    LOL! poor fonebrkr has had to repeat himself 4 times in this thread! you're very patient, fonebrkr. nice job on the forums!
    11-26-08 10:42 AM
    I just installed Opera 4.2... OMG I can't believe how fast it is!!! Why the heck doesn't the BB browser go that fast???
    OperaMini uses a server farm to "pre-digest" web sites for phone use, while preserving full html site browsing. It's fast because their server have probably hit and cached the site you're calling in recent minutes and can deliver it optimized for your phone in a fraction of the time that it would take your phone to download all the data and process it for display on your screen. 4.2 beta is the first version that uses a new server group here in the US. 4.1 still uses server in northern europe, though even at that it's faster that BB browser. In essence, OperaMini is an intermediary between the web and your phone, pretty much the way BB BIS email sits between email servers and your phone.

OperaMini is not "designed" for a particular phone, it works on all phones with real web capability. They probably have "templates" for what is passed to a given phone type. Hopefully though, they will further integrate the version that installs on a Storm with regards to menus etc.

--bg
    11-26-08 10:49 AM
    have you guys noticed that OperaMini has actual grabbable thumbs in the scrollbars? Try to get to the bottom of a very long web page in BB browser. FOREVER! In OperaMini you can grab the thumb in the vertical scroll bar and put yourself anywhere you want more or less immediately.
    11-26-08 10:53 AM
    OK - downloaded OM last night - went to espn.com - and got thrie mobile site. What's up with that? That was the end of my test.
    11-26-08 10:58 AM
    I'm using the BB browesr now once I feel I've become comfortable with ti I'll test OM
    11-26-08 11:06 AM
    Opera is amazingly fast but the UI does not play nice with the Storm.
    11-26-08 11:16 AM
    Does the keyboard auto pop up when you need to type? Mine doesn't and it's annoying to go to the Menu then Show Keyboard. I will stick with BB Browser until the Storm version comes out.
    11-26-08 01:08 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD