View Poll Results: Do you think that RIM should get rid of the Landscape view on the Storm's Lockscreen?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 56.94%
  • No

31 43.06%
    I didn't vote because there was no "Who the **** cares" option.

Matt what theme is that? It is sexy indeed.
    11-23-09 03:32 PM
    Yes they should get rid of. Give us a different more useful screen then waste mem on that. If that's the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, that is the case.
    11-23-09 09:19 PM
    Get RID OF IT! It does not look good if you're using the Storm Slider. Period.
    11-24-09 03:21 AM
    Yes, it does. Depending on the wallpaper size it could mean the difference of around 100-200 kb of space per theme. Add 10 themes to your device and then you get 1mb-2mb of wasted app memory. Not only that, it may just mean the difference in speed when locking and unlocking the device.
    only use the stock theme so it really doesnt make a difference.
    11-24-09 03:52 AM
    I would like the option to get rid of landscape view altogether.

Seriously. Nothing sucks more than taking it out of my pocket and starting to browse to where I need to go and having the thing go back and forth, back and forth as it twists in my hand as it gets up to me.

If I am walking while using google maps I can make myself dizzy and nauseous just watching it twist and turn the screen. Since it isn't instant, right as I am hitting a button it will often twist back to the orientation it should be in.

I would kill for an option to lock the thing in portrait all the time. I wish this were a customizable phone.
    11-24-09 05:23 AM
    I would like the option to get rid of landscape view altogether.

Seriously. Nothing sucks more than taking it out of my pocket and starting to browse to where I need to go and having the thing go back and forth, back and forth as it twists in my hand as it gets up to me.

If I am walking while using google maps I can make myself dizzy and nauseous just watching it twist and turn the screen. Since it isn't instant, right as I am hitting a button it will often twist back to the orientation it should be in.

I would kill for an option to lock the thing in portrait all the time. I wish this were a customizable phone.
    there are like 5 apps that do this
    11-24-09 05:26 AM
    there are like 5 apps that do this
    It shouldn't be an app you have to search for.

It should be right here:

Options ---> Screen/keyboard ---> lock device in ---> a) portrait b) landscape

Just like the icons on the homescreen. Some obscure theme out there may give you the functionality to have more than eight icons, but you are stuck scouring the web to gain what should be in the options menu.

edit: apparently the apps that do this must be set to do each screen you put it in individually, and the hilarity ensues at the fact that it doesn't save the settings through reboots, which one is going to be doing daily if they use this phone. The programs that do save this functionality through a reboot cost money.

Even $3 seems like extortion when this should be in the phone's screen/keyboard options menu BY DEFAULT. wow. Is this what we've come to? Paying for apps not to do exciting new things but as bugfixes for simple omissions in OS preferences?
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 11-24-09 at 05:40 AM.
    11-24-09 05:29 AM
    It shouldn't be an app you have to search for.

It should be right here:

Options ---> Screen/keyboard ---> lock device in ---> a) portrait b) landscape

Just like the icons on the homescreen. Some obscure theme out there may give you the functionality to have more than eight icons, but you are stuck scouring the web to gain what should be in the options menu.

edit: apparently the apps that do this must be set to do each screen you put it in individually, and the hilarity ensues at the fact that it doesn't save the settings through reboots, which one is going to be doing daily if they use this phone. The programs that do save this functionality through a reboot cost money.

Even $3 seems like extortion when this should be in the phone's screen/keyboard options menu BY DEFAULT. wow. Is this what we've come to? Paying for apps not to do exciting new things but as bugfixes for simple omissions in OS preferences?
    here are some suggestions for you

1) use a free lock and reset it on reboot
    2) buy quicklaunch and have many more functions built into one and still have to reset after rebooot
    3) pay $3 for stoptilt or whatever and not have to reset after reboot
    4) write your own app and quit ********

i vote 4
    11-24-09 05:49 AM
    I'm just pointing out the fact that the lockscreen/landscape wallpaper has more cons than pros. Unless... they allow touch capabilities on the lockscreen.
    one of the reasons I lock the phone is to disable the touchscreen, prevents mass bu tt dialings.

really though, the landscape lock screen is of no concern to me. If it's locked, I want it to turn off the display to save battery, and I don't care what it looks like under the black screen.
    11-24-09 07:04 AM
    here are some suggestions for you

1) use a free lock and reset it on reboot
    2) buy quicklaunch and have many more functions built into one and still have to reset after rebooot
    3) pay $3 for stoptilt or whatever and not have to reset after reboot
    4) write your own app and quit ********

i vote 4
    All of these ignore the pink elephant in the room that this should be in the options since the device is over one year old now.
    11-24-09 12:34 PM
    All of these ignore the pink elephant in the room that this should be in the options since the device is over one year old now.
    You are right, there should considering that the phone has the option. There are many times that I am also waiting for the annoying switching of landscape to portrait because I barley tipped the phone or I just took it out of my pocket. I do like landscape, but not on the LockScreen, and I do think it should be an option built into the OS.
    11-24-09 07:33 PM
    one of the reasons I lock the phone is to disable the touchscreen, prevents mass bu tt dialings.

really though, the landscape lock screen is of no concern to me. If it's locked, I want it to turn off the display to save battery, and I don't care what it looks like under the black screen.
    But if the time to unlock the phone was effected then would it matter?
    11-25-09 07:15 PM
    But if the time to unlock the phone was effected then would it matter?
    the time to unlock the phone isnt affected. so there is no issue
    11-25-09 07:21 PM
    the time to unlock the phone isnt affected. so there is no issue
    Actually, the time to lock and unlock at many times I notice considerable lag. There should be no lag just as the iphone has no lag from lock to unlock.
    11-26-09 06:41 PM
    Actually, the time to lock and unlock at many times I notice considerable lag. There should be no lag just as the iphone has no lag from lock to unlock.
    right, but that isnt because of the lock screen being horizontal. That just the crappy software on RIMS end in general. Its tons better than when the first storm debuted though.
    11-26-09 06:56 PM
    right, but that isnt because of the lock screen being horizontal. That just the crappy software on RIMS end in general. Its tons better than when the first storm debuted though.
    Agreed. But the orientation of the device I believe does effect the OS. I'm pretty sure.
    11-27-09 10:59 AM
    lol, agreed.
    11-28-09 08:29 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD