I have a Verizon Storm 9530, running OS 5.0.0.328. I just upgraded yesterday from 4.7-something. I avoid upgrading ANYTHING because of BS like this- read on...

I'm 90% thrilled with the fixes/upgrades/"features" of 5.0. I can finally type in a webpage text field without the browser crapping itself, or use the copy/paste function without performing delicate surgery, or browse music playlists without going berzerk from the horrendous, unusable interface.

However, there were two "gotchas" that really make me consider switching back to 4.7. First is the Auto-dim "feature". It's very annoying, and broken... but tolerable. And covered in about a dozen other threads. So I won't beat that horse here.

My beef is with listening to music. I use my phone to listen to Pandora about 7-8 hours a day. Occasionally I listen to my own MP3's. I noticed right away that after upgrading to 5.0 and the latest version of Pandora (1.1.2.1 -> 1.1.3.2?) that my audio tracks faded in at the beginning. I thought it was some stupid feature introduced into Pandora.

On my way home from work this evening, I noticed it did the same thing with my personal MP3's. All of my songs had a similar, disgusting fade-in that lasted about 1 second. It wasn't even a 'smooth' fade-in, either!

forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=341154
    (Sorry, can't link with <10 post count)
    This thread describes EXACTLY what I'm experiencing on my Storm. I've only attempted to listen to music through the headphone jack. I'm using standard, off-the-shelf headphones, along with my cassette adapter in my car- all of them do this. With the built-in speakers, it works fine.

I'm a bit of an audiophile/perfectionist. I've had several other audio devices (MP3 player, Ipod, MD player, CD player), some of which have had options to enable or disable this so-called feature. I've looked everywhere I can think of (trust me, I've been searching these forums all day!) but my Storm has no such option.

I had NO issues with this before OS 5.0, and it's driving me CRAZY. My wife says it's "not such a big deal" but when you're ROCKING OUT in the car, and your favorite song's formerly powerful intro sounds like puke, IT IS a big deal!

Thanks for reading- has anyone else had this issue? If so, do you have any advice?
    03-02-10 01:15 AM
    If it bothers you that much switch back.
    03-02-10 01:21 AM
    the dimmed landscape is annoying though.
    03-02-10 01:21 AM
    why didnt you upgrade to 419?
    03-02-10 01:27 AM
    Cyber Warrior: OS 4.7 is utter crap compared to 5.0, otherwise I would instantly. There's just so much that got fixed. I'm currently weighing the "go back to using my Ipod" option. Is it possible that a reinstall would fix the issue, or is this definitely a software error?

Howarmat: When I upgraded, my Desktop Manager was flaking out and thought I didn't have an internet connection, so I had to go through BB's website and download it straight from the source. (Much thanks to this site for the helpful instructions, by the way.) Where can I find details on .419? I'd love to upgrade and see if that helps.
    03-02-10 07:19 AM
    Upgrading doesn't help. I'm on 5.0.0.713 and the worthless fade-in is still present. It really ruins live concerts and other albums that blend tracks. As you said, it is only about 0.5 seconds to 1.0 seconds, but it completely ruins the mood.

RIM: Make this an option so we can disable this! It is such a basic feature that we should be able to toggle.
    09-29-10 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD