Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the biggest performance difference between a GSM network and a CDMA network. I know Verizon runs on CDMA, in your opinion is that good or bad? Thanks.
    08-10-09 09:07 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I understand it as CDMA phones connect to a couple of towers at a time, whereas GSM only connects to one. This has the benefit of being more stable (especially when moving) because if one tower signal is lost, there is still another one or two keeping the phone call (or data) going. The drawback being that it usually runs a little slower by the phone having to hold a signal and search for more backup signals at the same time. GSM then, is a bit quicker because its not processing as much data, but is not as reliable. I think I also heard that GSM can handle more information at once, but CDMA can handle more people trying to access the information at once. Anyone else?
    08-10-09 09:26 AM
    Do you mean "performance" in terms of speed, coverage or both? CDMA and GSM are roughly equal in terms of data speed, however, GSM coverage "remains patchy." More...

CDMA vs. GSM - Treo Wiki
    08-10-09 09:31 AM
    Is that because a GSM signal doesn't go as far as a CDMA signal will, so its patchy because ATT doesn't have as many/enough towers up. Like comparing CDMA to AM radio, and GSM to FM Radio
    08-10-09 09:42 AM
    The difference in the two is how they packet the voice&data in there transmission. CDMA packets more voice&data, there for its faster than GSM, but GSM has its strong points too.
    Last edited by UGAstorm; 08-10-09 at 09:46 AM.
    08-10-09 09:44 AM
    The difference in the two is how they packet the voice&data in there transmission. CDMA packets more voice&data, there for its faster than GSM, but GSM has its strong points too.
    Actually, GSM has a faster throughput then CDMA. Personally, I would prefer GSM then CDMA.
    08-10-09 10:06 AM
    Actually,
    "Data Transfer Speed: With the advent of cellular phones doing double and triple duty as streaming video devices, podcast receivers and email devices, speed is important to those who use the phone for more than making calls. CDMA has been traditionally faster than GSM, though both technologies continue to rapidly leapfrog along this path. Both boast "3G" standards, or 3rd generation technologies."
    so there both almost equal...
    08-10-09 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD