So my replacement came in yesterday in the same retail box I purchased a month ago. I went through all the steps to replace and sent it out.

The step that consed the crap out of me was when placing the defective unit in the box the pamphlet told me to place ONLY the phone and not the charger or cables or battery. So I did what I was told and only returned the phone, keeping all the accessories.

Was I correct in doing this? Will I be seeing a surprise bill next month?
    01-02-09 06:25 PM
    Yes you are fine. The replacement didn't come with any chargers, etc so you had to keep them to have your original equipment. You're fine.
    01-02-09 06:36 PM
    Well the replacement that came DID come with all the accessories like charger, sd card etc. So now I have 2 of everything.

Is this how it was for everyone else?
    01-02-09 06:40 PM
    Your replacement was a Fru Kit so that basically means that it was a brand new phone. I think it's up to your service provider to decide weather or not you will get billed for the missing items.
    Most likley I would say no.
    01-02-09 06:40 PM
    I never send anything back..just the device..that's it...they ask for the battery too but I never send it and I never get charged for it, bare in mind though I'm with Rogers..each carrier has their own rules.
    01-02-09 06:44 PM
    I never send anything back..just the device..that's it...they ask for the battery too but I never send it and I never get charged for it, bare in mind though I'm with Rogers..each carrier has their own rules.
    When ever I get sent a replacement device with At&t, they only send the device and no battery or battery cover. Nice of Rogers to send you the battery too.
    01-02-09 06:47 PM
    Keep it, I had the same thing happen with me. VZW rep told me to place just the handset in the box, and to keep all the other stuff including 8G Memory card, Battery, etc.

Sometimes incompetence works in our favor!
    01-02-09 06:51 PM
    Thanks guys for the peace of mind. I figured I was ok because I followed directions but I'm just shocked that by having a defective unit I end up getting like 60 bucks worth of freebies.

I can see why so many people send in multiple times... Probably going into business for themselves!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 06:53 PM
    I replaced three treos and ended up with 4 batteries and 4 syluses (though I managed to lose a couple of those). I think those perks are the least I can expect for the trouble.
    01-02-09 06:59 PM
    Companies don't care about the accessories. I've dealt with the same thing regarding cameras, routers etc.

It's not like the cost them much money at all. The markup is probably like 800% or something ridiculous.
    01-02-09 07:19 PM
    replacment phone you keep all the accessories.
    01-02-09 07:21 PM
    You think thats bad I kept EVERYTHING the phone included and wasnt charged its been since the 25th (NOV) and I still havent been charged happen once with my curve and I never was charged. I now am on my third replacement will be sending the defective back. The first one came with a reciept that said 199.99 charge and 199.99 credit. SO i kept it that was the same thing it said on my curve reciept when I kept it.

Ok So I received my first replacement on tues the 25th and it is now jan 11th just got my new bill and surprise no charge! Think im in the clear? PLEASE CHIME IN ON THIS PEOPLE!!!
    Last edited by chudson85; 01-11-09 at 11:04 AM. Reason: UPDATES!!
    01-02-09 07:31 PM
    My first replacement was like that.....

I returned the battery, and usb cable, but kept the extra charger.

I figured they wouldnt bill me for the charger....but the battery was pushing it.
    01-02-09 07:39 PM
    Well the replacement that came DID come with all the accessories like charger, sd card etc. So now I have 2 of everything.

Is this how it was for everyone else?

Do you mind sending me your old sd card? Lol.

01-03-09 06:05 AM
    you didn't steal anything, plus you wouldn't be stealing from RIM anyways. RIM sells the units to Verizon first, then Verizon sells them to the customer.
    01-03-09 06:15 AM
    There is a difference here. And, I'm not saying you knowingly are stealing anything. If you have a defective phone, no matter if its a Blackberry or a Samsung or LG phone with VZW, in a normal replacement scenario, you are sent a "Certified Like New" phone, which consists of only the phone, you keep the back of your defective phone and the battery and use in this certified like new phone. You then return the defective phone back, sans your current accessories like the wall charger because they did not send you those. Apparently the replacement phones right now are coming to us as new in box, which means a brand new phone with all the accessories you received in the original purchase. You are supposed to only get the phone out of that box and return all other accessories. On a personal basis, I am getting a replacement sent to me that will arrive on Tuesday and the tech rep specifically told me that I need to return the accessories that come with the phone. I also work for VZW in a call center, if I would take your call and you ask what you should be returning from the replacement you got, I'd be telling you exactly what I said in the previous sentences. I hope this clears up some of the confusion here.
    01-03-09 08:50 AM
    So my replacement came in yesterday in the same retail box I purchased a month ago. I went through all the steps to replace and sent it out.

The step that consed the crap out of me was when placing the defective unit in the box the pamphlet told me to place ONLY the phone and not the charger or cables or battery. So I did what I was told and only returned the phone, keeping all the accessories.

Was I correct in doing this? Will I be seeing a surprise bill next month?
    You did as the pamphlet instructed, no worries.
    01-03-09 08:56 AM
    I called and VZW told me I had to return everything or I would be charged for anything I didn't return.
    01-03-09 01:21 PM
    When VZW says to return the equipment or you we be charged for it. What do you get charged? The Full retail price or just the price that you paid?
    01-03-09 05:51 PM
    I was told when I got my replacement that if I did not return it I would be charged $249. I'm thinking about keeping my original until I see if that truly is what I'm charged. Neither phone is defective really, just a little tight in one corner. I don't think a back up for $249 is all that bad really.

Anybody else just keep their original and replacement phones?
    01-03-09 06:18 PM
    I have done the same thing and just made a copy of the return instructions. Never a problem
    01-03-09 06:23 PM
    I got an FRU as my replacement as well and the pamphlet instructions do differ from the order instructions (on the bottom of the actual order sheet) and they're confusing to say the least. I called Verizon and they told me to send back everything or I would be charged. I did as I figure better safe than sorry.
    01-03-09 06:24 PM
    I had an older phone with VZW that I exchanged thru the mail. Same deal as you. New in retail box with all accys. The note said to return ONLY the phone, none of the accys. So I did, and I was never billed for them. Its been about a year now so I am sure they would have caught up with me by now
    01-03-09 06:50 PM
    Thanks guys for the peace of mind. I figured I was ok because I followed directions but I'm just shocked that by having a defective unit I end up getting like 60 bucks worth of freebies.

I can see why so many people send in multiple times... Probably going into business for themselves!

Well, it is truly refreshing you were concerned about this. Anyone else would have kept it moving and not thought about it.
    01-03-09 07:06 PM
    When I got my replacement device it was just the phone. No battery....no 8 gig card...no cables...you guys are lucky.
    01-03-09 07:44 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD