Has anybody been using the device switch wizard built into the Blackberry Desktop Manager software? I wouldn't mind having the applications, contacts, and old emails all transferred over. Should I do this before I change the BIS settings, or does it matter?

PS: Somehow the Best Buy by me had a Storm in stock tonight when I went to pre-order it, so of course I bought it...
    11-22-08 10:13 PM
    ya it works... just remember to uncheck the themes as they of course dont work.
    11-22-08 10:38 PM
    I just did a transfer from my pearl, and it transferred everything over, including emails, texts, and phone log (as well as a lot of settings such as screen backlight timer, etc).

The only thing is that it will somehow remove the application center. I did a battery pull after and everything came back and played nice.

still not sure how people in blackberry messenger are still messaging me though, being that I never gave my new PIN out... maybe because of the device switch wizard??
    11-22-08 10:40 PM
    I did the same (pearl to storm) and I don't remember seeing an option to uncheck the themes. Is there somewhere I can go to delete them since they won't work?
    11-22-08 10:43 PM
    It didn't give me the option to uncheck anything at all, even though I thought I had selected the right thing to allow that. I went ahead with it though, since I didn't have anything but the default themes installed anyway.

It did transfer all the contacts and emails and everything important over just fine though, so thanks for the help!

Now I just need to get the BIS website to accept my new PIN and MEID...
    11-22-08 11:53 PM
    Yes, it sure does work, Had no problem at all doing the transfer from my Pearl to my STORM. Easiest thing I have done so far
    11-23-08 10:13 AM
    It does work, there's just some apps I had to delete and reload, like Opera...
    All in all it works ok, I also had to reset all my profiles, the original didn't transfer because I had custom tone assigned I reckon....
    11-23-08 10:17 AM
    When you transfer over, does it wipe all the data off the original device?

Basically is it "cutting & pasting" the data from old device to new one, or is it "copying & pasting" from old to new?

I'm using the Storm under the 30 day trial period and I want all my data transferred over, but I don't want to lose all the data off my Curve, just in case I end up returning the Storm.
    11-23-08 10:35 AM
    I switched over as well without a hitch. I was using DM 4.6. I would back-up both devices before doing the switch (just in case).

On a side note, I think the upgrade from Pearl to Storm is a great one. I loved my Pearl, but I am very happy with the Storm (bugs and all). I am hoping it will just get better with time.

Question...on the Pearl you could customize each profile (Loud, Vibrate, Normal, etc) for how you wanted it to handle each item (call, mms, IM, etc.). I don't see that on the Storm. In fact, when I customize the ringers and volumes I can even tell for what profile setting I am doing it. (Example, when I set the ring volume to 10 high, I don't know if it will do this on the Loud and Vibrate profile, or just the loud). Anybody follow? Know how to customize like the Pearl?
    11-23-08 10:42 AM
    Hi everyone

I want to upgrade my current Pearl to the Storm in mid-December. I plan to use the Device Switch Wizard... I just have a quick question... when I buy my Storm... they will activate that as my new phone and therefore my old pearl won't have a "signal" anymore. Does the pearl have to be able to receive/send any data from the mobile provider in order to make the device switch happen?

Any info. would be really helpful.

Also, I would be interested in getting an answer to Desconocido's question too

Question...on the Pearl you could customize each profile (Loud, Vibrate, Normal, etc) for how you wanted it to handle each item (call, mms, IM, etc.). I don't see that on the Storm. In fact, when I customize the ringers and volumes I can even tell for what profile setting I am doing it. (Example, when I set the ring volume to 10 high, I don't know if it will do this on the Loud and Vibrate profile, or just the loud). Anybody follow? Know how to customize like the Pearl?
    11-28-08 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD