So my problem is that my device memory is down to 197 MB and I can't figure out how to locate the file that's bringing it down so low.

Here's what happened...

I was trying to transfer a video from computer to berry by dragging and dropping. I was using a Mac to do it (This is where the trouble started, I don't know much about Macs and mixed up my blackberry device and media card when a dropped the file). So the video downloaded onto the device and not the memory card. Once I realized this, I plugged my berry back in and deleted the file on my device through my computer. (DM not used for anything, still on the Mac) I restarted my device and checked to make sure the file was gone, it was. Then I checked my device memory, it didn't increase after I deleted the file. Hmmm

Searched the forums and found a few ideas but none of them worked. (Plugged the berry back in and searched for the file again in all available places, tried looking for it in Media Manager, Menu, Explore) I still can't figure out why the memory is still down and I can't locate any file on my device big enough to make such a hit.

Any ideas? Is this something that DM can deal with when I get to the office tomorrow? Will I have to wipe my device to get my memory back ?

Any input would be appreciated.
    03-25-09 11:27 PM
    Do a battery pull, then check the memory again.
    03-25-09 11:47 PM
    I've tried that a few times, so luck. Even pulled the memory card out and booted it up to make sure I didn't have any media files on the device I didnt know about.
    03-26-09 12:09 AM
    Ok so this is my first post and I don't even have my Storm yet (April 3rd marks the end of yet another 2-yr. Contract) but I figured this may be a computer issue. PLEASE correct me but sometimes files deleted from removeable storage go to a trash/recycle bin and storage space is reserved for it on the device in case of a restore. Try checking such places and deleting the file if it's there. I've noticed space being reserved like this before on my external hard drive as well as my microSD. There. I may be terribly wrong but the risk of trying this is quite low, no?

Being my first post I'd like to say thank you to all the mature posters on this site for your invaluable contributions. You have undoubtedly helped scores of people realize their phone's true potential and made them happier people for it. I hope to contribute in the same way once I get my BB.

Thanks again and I hope my above information wasn't too erroneous.

Anthony
    Member, FBBA, Future BlackBerrieres of America.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 12:39 AM
    Its just what you get for using a mac I guess. You'd be better off killing kittens. At least jobs doesn't get royalties on that yet.
    Good call on clearing trash btw. Also, does file free on your phone match the info on the mac when you plug in?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 02:23 AM
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, the file free on my phone matches the file free displayed on my computer. I'm definitely going to try and empty the trash bin when I get home today. Even if it doesn't work, I think your diagnosis is dead on. Its probably a simple solution I overlooked.

As for killing kittens, I wouldn't know anything about that lol. I do know Jobs could market it with a snappy ad, we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again
    03-26-09 11:19 AM
    There's no trash folder subsystem on a Flash drive. Geez... Just go into Options/Memory and Hit Menu/Format. Choose device memory and that should fix your issues. Make sure you don't have anything on there that you don't want before you format.
    03-26-09 11:26 AM
    Hi JRS, I do have other things on the device memory and would like to avoid formatting it. You seem to know a ton about berrys (from your other posts) so I'll take your input seriously. I'm going to try this idea when I get home anyways, no harm in it. Can you think of anything else I could try besides formatting the memory?
    03-26-09 11:37 AM
    Thanks FatTony666!

Worked perfectly. I plugged in my device, the memory read 197 mb on both my comp and berry. I cleared the trash on the computer, few seconds later, bamo. Memory back up in the 800's.
    03-26-09 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD