All I want to do is back up my wife's contacts from her S1 to her new S2 and everytime I hook her phone up to the PC via USB, I get a white screen with this message and the phone reboots, and won't stop rebooting until I unplug it. I tried using the laptop and the same thing happened.

ARM11: Unknown MTP Mode
    ARMS:
    Device Error: 354
    Failed Task: OBG
    File:
    Line: 0
    SP= 0x02343B28
    LR= 0x01872EFF
    PC= 0x0187221C

Anyone know a fix for this nonsense?
    03-20-10 10:26 AM
    Looks like an OS or hardware issue with the BB. There may not be a way to back it up in its current state.

Try doing it via Bluetooth instead...
    03-20-10 11:18 AM
    punissher, did you ever find a fix for this? I recently started having the same "unknown mtp mode" error message that you described. After getting a replacement storm, here is what I have found so far:

1. It's not the phone itself that is causing the problem. After trying just about everything I could think of, I took (what I thought was my defective) storm to verizon & they gave me a replacement storm. I didn't have them transfer anything from my old phone to my new one, so when I got home everything was stock, out of the box. The second I plugged the one new phone into my laptop, the error message came up & the phone reset. I unplugged it & luckily the phone rebooted as normal.

2. It's not your micro usb cord - when I plugged the new phone into my roommate's laptop, using the same cord as before, it connected just fine with no errors. Opposite of what you might be thinking, her laptop is running windows 7 & mine is running xp.

3. It's not necessarily a defective usb port - I tried all four of my ports & was met with the same error. Every other usb device I have (flash drive, external hard drive, wireless mouse) works fine. I plugged in my usb hub (which is also working), & then plugged my new storm into it & had the same error.

4. I'm utterly confused as to whether it's a driver issue - when I plugged in my roommate's curve to my laptop, it worked just fine. I've uninstalled anything usb-related from device manager, I've uninstalled desktop manager & tried to connect the new storm w/ it uninstalled, I've reinstalled DM 5, I've uninstalled DM 5 to install DM 4.7, & all of that gives me the same error. I did a system restore to a couple days before this started happening & that didn't work either.

When this happened, I had been connecting the same phone, with the same cord, to the same laptop for well over a year, & never had a problem. I have no idea how this started or how to fix it. When every other usb device, including a different BB, work just fine, but the problem happens on two separate but identical device models, but the device itself connects just fine to a different computer, I'm pretty much at a loss. This really has me scratching my head & so far I have not found a solution online.

If it is a driver issue, specific to a device model, whatever is corrupting it seems to stay on the system even after uninstalling DM & uninstalling usb devices from device manager. I haven't tried connecting the phone with the computer in safe mode yet, but I'll edit this post if for some strange reason that gets it working.

When I searched for this issue, it looks like people have had this problem with different BB devices, so I may re-post this in a global thread. If I had to keep a 9530 for the duration of a contract, I'd probably reinstall windows. My contract has been up for awhile & I'll probably get the incredible soon, so I'm not as concerned as I normally would be.

If you haven't already, I recommend that you do not try to wipe your phone or try to install an os with apploader through the backdoor by starting the process with the battery out. That was one of the first things I tried before I got a replacement storm, & for me that resulted in not being able to boot the phone at all (unplugged it would load to an app error & plugged in it would endlessly cycle to the "unknown mtp mode" error & reset). Some people said that they eventually were able to load an os via apploader, but I couldn't. I couldn't even get apploader to work on my roommate's computer, which is what led me to think that my phone was defective. The replacement storm verizon gave me works fine on my roommate's computer with apploader & installed/uninstalled apps without a problem. But, as I said, the moment I plug the replacement phone into my computer, I get the error & it resets (but at least it loads correctly after unplugging it).

I hope someone can shed some light on this & can offer a solution, because this is really frustrating.
    04-23-10 02:24 AM
    Did anyone ever find an answer to this? I deleted all the RIM and Blackberry keys from my registry in safe mode and restarted. Still got the same error.
    06-24-10 09:21 AM
    It could seriously be an OS problem on your computer. You've replaced the phone and the same problem on the same computer. I'd really consider reloading your computer. Many times .dll files become corrupt causing issues with devices. Reloading your system isn't hard at all, just be sure you have the correct product key, OS disk, and download copies of your drivers from the manufacturer website before you begin. (Save those files to a CD or thumb drive) its highly possible that you'll need them once you reload your OS.

** Be sure to save any documents, music, pics, before you do this also and make note of any software you already have, that way you're not guessing at what you had.**
    06-24-10 02:45 PM
    i got this same error on my replacement phone. I was having an issue with the screen flickering really badly, so i called VZW and under my warranty agreement they sent me a refurb. Got it, plugged in via usb to update the OS and immediatly got the white error screen and it rebooted. I plug my other storm in and nothing happens to it. It is not an issue with your computer. No possible way. I do believe it is an error within the OS/Hardware of the phone itself. VZW is sending me another phone, i'll have it tomorrow, i'll update this thread with what it does.
    BTW i'm on Windows 7 Enterprise.
    06-24-10 03:18 PM
    i got this same error on my replacement phone. I was having an issue with the screen flickering really badly, so i called VZW and under my warranty agreement they sent me a refurb. Got it, plugged in via usb to update the OS and immediatly got the white error screen and it rebooted. I plug my other storm in and nothing happens to it. It is not an issue with your computer. No possible way. I do believe it is an error within the OS/Hardware of the phone itself. VZW is sending me another phone, i'll have it tomorrow, i'll update this thread with what it does.
    BTW i'm on Windows 7 Enterprise.
    I wouldn't say its no possible way... I've seen it happen. And my suggestion was just that. "A SUGGESTION" An OS reload should be strongly considered.
    06-24-10 04:07 PM
    Mine did the same...a reload corrected the issue. Had to select "automatically detect communication port" though

Had the issue fixed in less than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by adamv7010; 06-29-10 at 10:22 PM.
    06-29-10 10:20 PM
    SOLUTION !

I had this issue. Its your computer OS.

I had BB DM installed on a win7 64X machine. When ever i pluged the BB in it would give me the arm 11 error and keep rebooting.

I installed a copy on my xp laptop, bingo reinstalled the BB OS no problems.

I just wiped my win7 OS, reinstalled and now its able to do OS updates for BB

Happy to help

Live long and prosper !
    08-13-10 06:28 AM
    I know this thread is old but I actually found a different solution to this problem.

It involves accessing the engineering screens (WARNING: You CAN mess up your device accessing these screens, proceed with caution)

Follow the steps listed in the first post of this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ad...-storm-251693/

Unlock the engineering screens, then go to "OS Engineering Screens" > USB > and open the menu and click on "Toggle MS" to disable Mass Storage mode.

This apparently disables it on the firmware level, and after doing this, I no longer got that "Unknown MTP Mode" error when plugging in my Storm to my computer.
    02-09-11 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD