hey i use the storm with BES mainly, but do have 1 BIS account setup (just imap mail from a linux web host, no calendarm etc)

i want to dl and install the latest desktop manager but when i check the download areas there are many things.

first they have desktop manager 4.7 with and without media manager. Media manager is the roxio thing right? if i just want to drag and drop to mass storage device, i dont need media manager right?

second they have Blackbeery USB and Modem drivers. is this all i need if i want to do mass storage device? I dont need to backup or sync data cause bes does all that, so do i even need desktop manager, or is usb and modem drivers package all i need?

third, what is the blackberry device manageR? its the third download n the list. i have no idea what its for though, and if i need it.

can someone shed some light on this? thanks!
    12-14-08 08:12 PM
    anyone? i found a post about device manager but no one ever explains what its for:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/wha...manager-78298/

and this about usb driver:

How to connect your BlackBerry device to your PC without the Desktop Manager

but it doesnt say if it will enable mass storage mode or not. so i still dont know if desktop manager is required for mass storage mode.
    12-14-08 09:18 PM
    bump. 10 chars
    12-15-08 12:58 AM
    bump, sorry to bump this again but someone has to know the answer to this. i have tried google and searching the boards, **** i even proved that in my 2nd post.
    12-15-08 04:11 PM
    pretty please?
    12-16-08 05:49 PM
    i am not giving up. sorry.
    12-16-08 10:16 PM
    What kind of files are you talking about ? I have had very good
    luck nuking the DM and going to BB dot com to download / install
    JUST the Media Sync pack - works great on my iPOD music that is installed on my Windows Vista Business machine. For this moment, all files in BB Land are media files - pdf, doc, xls, pps, etc. Try to deal with them under Windows XP, not WVB, if you are able. Good Luck ! Note: I think that Storm, in order to deal with such files, needs to have them resent to an Exchange Server, but I'm just not sure.
    12-16-08 10:26 PM
    I am just wanting to transfer mp3's pictures, movies, etc.

i dont want to convert anything.

my main thing is just wanting to know if the usb driver will be enough to use the mass storage device of the storm, or if i need to install desktop manager for some reason.

why would rimm offer all 3 downloads seperate?

civic? this sounds like something you would know

or crucial maybe?
    12-16-08 10:37 PM
    So I installed the USB drivers from the CD that came with the Storm. I can then plug my storm into my computer USB and see both the "Device Storage" 875mb and the "Media Card" 8Gb. I can then copy files directly too it in the Music folder and the song play fine through media player.
    You can create a "Picture" folder and drag pictures into that. I presume you can create a "Video" folder and do the same (have not tried).

I however deleted all those and use the Window Media Player sync function. Set it to sync to Media Card and then let it go.

Works great. FYI, if you sync music, when you load an app sometimes you lose the linking. Just re-sync with Media Player and everything is back in order.

No need for DM or the DM with Media Manager.
    I do use DM to install and un-install apps but that is a different story.

Regards,

FireboltXL
    12-16-08 11:01 PM
    DM is for people on older BES servers where contacts, tasks, notepad etc don't sync over the air. You have to plug the phone in and sync it. Also some of those on BIS need to do this to sync those items. Also to install software you need DM.

That Roxio application is a piece of crap. I hate Roxio anything and everything. Just turn on mass media and drag and drop your files.
    12-16-08 11:10 PM
    Great, this answers my questions! thanks!
    12-16-08 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD