I know I read this buried in one of the threads, but it works so well I wanted to make sure people knew ...

Even after I updated to the official .75, the phone still seemed to lag -- no specific instances, just a general sluggishness.

So I went into Device Manager and in the Add/Remove apps part I unchecked VZ Navigator and Visual Voicemail, and the result was a noticeable improvement in all-around responsiveness and speed.

Pair that with another poster who mentioned setting the hover rate and interval numbers low, and my Storm is moving faster than original .65, leaked .75 or official .75 with those 2 programs installed.
    12-06-08 10:54 AM
    Why anyone would delete Visual Voicemail is beyond me, by far the best feature on the phone.
    12-06-08 11:02 AM
    VV blows. Costs extra and is not really needed. I like listening to my messages. When it's free I'll reconsider.
    12-06-08 11:04 AM
    serious...VVM is over-rated right now
    12-06-08 11:07 AM
    I absolutely agree that VVM is crap there is no reason for it..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 11:12 AM
    there is a reason for it, or no one would buy it. Just because you guys don't like it doesn't make it worthless. I hated calling in and having to resave voice messages just before I could listen to a voicemail. Plus I can archive to my handset now.
    12-06-08 11:17 AM
    VVM is a fine application and quite useful for many people.

VZNav is an excellent program and well-worth the incremental expense for many people.

Deleting VVM and VZNav is not proven to improve performance any more than a simple reset or battery pull. No evidence has ever been provided that deleting these applications has any significant effect on the performance of the phone under any OS version.
    12-06-08 11:21 AM
    I suppose VVM would be good if you needed to demonstrate something or present. Does it work across carriers / phones? A visual call would be way cool tho and is surely coming in 4G+
    12-06-08 11:25 AM
    I like and use both VVM and VZNav. On my Storm the lag was only minor with .65 and is gone completely with .75. I don't doubt what you're saying, but I suspect VVM and VZNav aren't the cause of the lag, but merely exacerbate some other problem that is causing lag on your Storm. But if you don't plan to use VVM and VZNav anyway, then certainly it's a good thing to do to remove unneeded apps.
    12-06-08 11:31 AM
    I suppose VVM would be good if you needed to demonstrate something or present. Does it work across carriers / phones? A visual call would be way cool tho and is surely coming in 4G+
    I am guessing it will work if the carrier sets up the infrastructure.. lots of people seem to like youmail. I am still on the fence about trying it, but it sounds cool, and appears to be free. This also sounds like it would be carrier independent, so should work with any "smart phone".
    12-06-08 11:32 AM
    I have both still, and have the official .75. I recieve a lot of e-mails, and youse my phone alot through the day. I have no lag problems! The phone works great! The only problem I have is low volume replaying voicemails through VVM. That is my ONLY gripe? Everyones phone react differentlly to software versions it seems! I am happy mine works well!
    12-06-08 11:40 AM
    There are a lot of applications that are preloaded on the phone that people could do away with. Personally I enjoy the visual voicemail because it makes it easier for me to review 1 important message instead of having to listen to 10to get to it. Also, being able to archive important messages is very cool. Who enjoys having to save messages every 21 days or calling a separate company to archive messages? As for VZNav, I have a Garmin so I don't expect for my phone to get me to where I am going. Remember, features like VZNav & Visual Voicemail were only available for non-PDA/Smartphone devices. If you weren't using them before it is likely you won't need to use them now. Each person should design and define their own device. Choose the applications that work best for you and get rid of the rest. Worst case scenario you can always get them back from your Application Loader in Desktop Manager.
    12-06-08 11:44 AM
    I am curious as to why some think its not worth the small cost. I guess it comes down to how many voice mails you get but when you get 10+ a day, VVM comes EXTREMELY handy. I rather look at a list of names and play buttons of 30+ voice mails rather then going to dial to my voice mail box and listening, save or delete, 30+ times.
    12-06-08 05:58 PM
    VV blows. Costs extra and is not really needed. I like listening to my messages. When it's free I'll reconsider.
    um.. you still listen to the messages. Have you ever actually used it?
    12-06-08 06:07 PM
    the fact that Verizon charges extra is a complete joke.
    12-06-08 06:08 PM
    I am curious as to why some think its not worth the small cost.
    Like you mentioned in your post, it's all about how many voicemails you get. I might get 2 or 3 VMs per month. Why would I pay $3/month for a fancy interface? I'm already paying out the *** for text messages, which I actually use. I'm not just going to hand over more money to Verizon for a service I would rarely use.
    12-06-08 06:24 PM
    um.. you still listen to the messages. Have you ever actually used it?
    You misunderstood. "I still like listening to my messages on the regular voicemail system." There, is that a little clearer for you to understand?
    12-06-08 07:46 PM
    You misunderstood. "I still like listening to my messages on the regular voicemail system." There, is that a little clearer for you to understand?
    Yes that makes sense. Just for some people... they don't wanna listen to their friends and families messages to get to their important work message etc. Thats where it makes sense. It is stupid Verizon charges for it though.
    12-06-08 09:27 PM
    should be free, but im a sucker, and am paying for it.
    12-06-08 09:47 PM
    Speaking of Visual Voice Mail... Has anyone tried YouMail.com?

It looks like it would be similar to VVM only free.

Jamie
    12-06-08 10:13 PM
    I deleted both and do not seem to notice a difference in speed.....Also, did the .75 update yesterday.......
    12-06-08 11:54 PM
    Youmail looks pretty damn cool. Anyone try it? Thoughts?

I'm too chicken to try it myself, for now...
    12-07-08 12:09 AM
    It's really pretty simple - if you don't like it or think it's overpriced, don't buy it and don't use it. But clearly a ton of people don't agree with you and like it enough to pay the $3 a month for it. Not sure why people feel the need to whine about it.
    12-07-08 12:16 AM
    I think a big part of the problem is that I'm not sure exactly how fast the phone is supposed to be. I mean, I had an iPhone for almost 2 weeks, so I can use that as somewhat of a reference point, but it's still comparing 2 different animals.

So, is everything supposed to instantaneous? Or is it normal to sometimes hit a button and it takes maybe 2-3 seconds to register? Not all the time, but sometimes?

And there are other things that I do not know if that's the way they're supposed to be; having never used a BB, I'm wondering if my expectations are just too high. I was disappointed by the iPhone in terms of usability as well.

On the BB, one main thing that's making me rethink the whole thing is that it seems like 80% of the Web sites I visit are either not accessible on the BB -- like kdice, realtor.com -- or just don't work well, like Facebook (can't really play the games), youtube, etc.

Basically I feel like both devices are great in a pinch, but neither make life any "easier" per se. Maybe I just don't need a BB/superphone as much as I like the idea of having a BB/superphone.
    Last edited by santangelo; 12-07-08 at 01:34 AM.
    12-07-08 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD