I've owned my Storm since Nov and have been using email accounts through Gmail (actually Google Apps for Domains...but the same thing) exclusively. I've got 2 accounts set up and have stayed current with firmware upgrades.

I've noticed a declining trend in the usefulness of the phone when tied to Gmail. I'm curious to hear if others have had the same issues and if any solutions are out there to remedy these.

When I first got my Storm and set it up with Gmail, it worked great! Emails were showing up seconds after being sent (tested by sending from other accounts). Consistently, email was showing up at nearly the speed of light! I couldn't have asked for more. When I deleted emails on the phone, they were being deleted from my Gmail inbox right away. No complaints.

A few months in...emails began to slow down on their way to the phone. My phone would take minutes to tens of minutes to a half hour at times before the message would show up on my phone (despite being viewable in my Gmail inbox right away). Something changed. Things weren't the same as they were before. But I lived with it...the web inbox and my phone's email would keep synced up (after some delay) when I'd delete an email from one place or the other.

Now, within the last month or so (and may be related to upgrading to .148) emails continue to take minutes to a half hour to reach the phone (I don't see a pattern in the delays). And even more annoying is the reconciling of deleted emails is taking hours (if I delete something on my phone or Gmail online, it takes hours for the change to show up in the other spot). So something has changed again.

I complained to VZW about this last week. They said that a delay of 15 minutes when receiving email is normal because that's how often the email is polled...they stated I just must have been lucky before. I don't buy it. Things were great before...now they suck. What changed?

I've started using the Google GMail application for Blackberrys recently. Sometimes the emails show up there before the Storms inbox, sometimes its the other way around. At least in the Gmail application I can select "refresh" to check for messages if I'm expecting something. But this still isn't a fix.

The Storm is my first Blackberry. I thought Blackberrys are all about email. Right now, I'm hardly any better off than I was with my old enV and accessing Gmail via the web. I'm getting frustrated and highly disappointed.

Other info: I'm on BIS. I've tried resending service books several times with no fix to the problem.

Thoughts or input would be appreciated.
    07-02-09 12:57 PM
    BB's are "all about email" - however, true push is done via BES. I have a similar issue with my yahoo account. Sometimes it's faster than online, sometimes it's slower. There really isn't anything you can do.
    07-02-09 01:25 PM
    My Storm is still pretty much instant when it comes to my Gmail account, usually about 10 seconds behind my desktop when it comes to mail delivery. Reconciliation is pretty instant too.

When I've had problems in the past (although never this one specifically), I find that removing my account from BIS and re-adding it sometimes helps...for what it's worth.
    07-02-09 01:30 PM
    Don't know what to say, my Google emails has been steady no real fluctuations.

Is there any other issues that your storm is having?
    07-02-09 02:08 PM
    When I've had problems in the past (although never this one specifically), I find that removing my account from BIS and re-adding it sometimes helps...for what it's worth.
    Well, I don't know why I didn't consider this...

Deleted all accounts and started over. Works like a champ now. I'm seeing emails on the phone before they pop up in the online inbox (or within a few seconds of each other).

This is the way it is supposed to be. Now I'm happy.

Thanks Pete!
    07-07-09 07:45 PM
    My Storm is still pretty much instant when it comes to my Gmail account, usually about 10 seconds behind my desktop when it comes to mail delivery. Reconciliation is pretty instant too.

Doesn't this screw up the calendar? It seems like whenever I delete and re-add my Gmail account, I end up with all my calendar entries in the "device default" calendar and then I have two calendars, Google and Device Default.
    07-07-09 09:48 PM
    I haven't had any problems with mine, I've had mine set up for two months now, and as previously stated it's about 10 seconds behind my laptops inbox. I have no idea what's up with yours try deleting it then reinstalling it?
    07-08-09 03:20 AM
    I usually get emails on my BB for my Gmail account before the Gmail inbox refreshes and they do refresh quite often. When I hear the alert on my BB, and within 5 seconds, the email shows up on my Gmail Inbox.
    07-08-09 04:26 AM
    The delay in my email accounts (not just Gmail) fluctuate a lot, sometimes between a few seconds to 20-30 minutes. Even my [email protected] email is slow at times. Deleting the accounts works some of the time not sooner or later the accounts go back to being delayed. And when there's a delay, I tend to get several emails at one time. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to my phone, and everything else is working fine, so I'm not sure what it could be.
    08-08-09 09:26 AM
    True push is BES with full exchange email. Gmail is reliant on free google service. My exchange account is INSTANT and I too are a lag in my free Gmail account. Grab exchange email if it bothers you that much lots of hosted exchange email providers out there. Usually 10 to 15 per month then upgrade plan to bes at another 15 per month. Its pricey but it does what you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD