I hear that the Storm 2, or whatever they are calling it, will have WiFi. I have pretty good WiFi access throughout the day, and at work and home.

Will Verizon require a dataplan on this new phone? Ive found that I dont use the internet much on the Storm, and could easily get by with WiFi, and do not want to keep paying an extra $30/month for something I really dont use.

My last smartphone had WiFi, and it was enough for me, without paying for an expensive data plan.

I like the Storm,but if Verizon will charge for a dataplan for the Storm 2, Ill have to start looking for a new phone, that doesnt require a data plan.

Thanks!
    08-08-09 01:15 PM
    Yes it will require the data plan. Every smartphone on Verizon requires it
    Last edited by jakeboyer11; 08-08-09 at 01:24 PM.
    08-08-09 01:18 PM
    you will still need the BIS plan
    08-08-09 01:19 PM
    As you know, VZW requires a data plan on all Blackberries. For non-BB devices with wifi (WinMo), data is also required. Combine the two for the Storm II--BB and wifi--and I don't see them changing the data requirement.
    08-08-09 01:21 PM
    As you know, VZW requires a data plan on all Blackberries. For non-BB devices with wifi (WinMo), data is also required. Combine the two for the Storm II--BB and wifi--and I don't see them changing the data requirement.
    Why do they charge for a dataplan for WiFi phones, for example the WinMo phones, why would you need a dataplan for a Phone that has Wifi?
    08-08-09 02:22 PM
    My guess is verizon wants to make more money but thats my opinion guys.
    08-08-09 02:24 PM
    Why do they charge for a dataplan for WiFi phones, for example the WinMo phones, why would you need a dataplan for a Phone that has Wifi?
    Do you have wifi wherever you go? My work doesnt have wifi, my car doesnt have wifi, in fact i have wifi at my place but that is about it.

now that doesnt mean you "need" a data plan but i would not go with out right now. Like a stated you still need BIS anyways for the BB to work
    08-08-09 02:28 PM
    why do people complain about a data plan if that is a issue get a ipod touch and a dumbphone then you will never have to pay for data . sorry to be so blunt but people want something for free . if you want luxory you have to pay for it . its like paying for car . you want the extras you have to pay but nothing in life is absolutely free.
    08-08-09 03:32 PM
    Not having a data plan is like having a ferrari without the engine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 04:22 PM
    why do people complain about a data plan if that is a issue get a ipod touch and a dumbphone then you will never have to pay for data . sorry to be so blunt but people want something for free . if you want luxory you have to pay for it . its like paying for car . you want the extras you have to pay but nothing in life is absolutely free.
    I wasn't trying to get something for free, I could live without a dataplan if I had WiFi. What is the point of adding WiFi if you still are forced to have a data plan?
    I think once the Storm 2 comes out, a lot of people will be asking this question.
    08-08-09 06:15 PM
    My guess is verizon wants to make more money but thats my opinion guys.
    Entirely true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 06:15 PM
    Until wifi is nationwide everywhere you are still going to want/need a data plan. There are too many places of work that wont have wifi for security reasons and what not but you will still need data.
    08-08-09 06:31 PM
    Wouldn't you still need the data plan so that you can have you email pushed to you? Just because you have wifi doesn't mean you will get the email, and I would think it a pain to have to go on the internet on my phone, log into my email account, and have to check my email that way. Just saying...
    08-08-09 06:36 PM
    Wouldn't you still need the data plan so that you can have you email pushed to you? Just because you have wifi doesn't mean you will get the email, and I would think it a pain to have to go on the internet on my phone, log into my email account, and have to check my email that way. Just saying...
    Yep you still need BIS for the email otherwise getting a BB is worthless IMO.
    08-08-09 06:43 PM
    I'm truly amazed at how many people don't realize that Blackberries don't function without a RIM provisioned data plan. That is its biggest weakness in my opinion, but hey... whatever.

Can we put up a big sign that says that Blackberries don't function without BIS/BES data plans, regardless of what type of radio connectivity they have?
    08-08-09 08:04 PM
    All smartphones will require data plans. That's where the money is these days. Selling those plans
    08-08-09 08:13 PM
    I'm truly amazed at how many people don't realize that Blackberries don't function without a RIM provisioned data plan. That is its biggest weakness in my opinion, but hey... whatever.

Can we put up a big sign that says that Blackberries don't function without BIS/BES data plans, regardless of what type of radio connectivity they have?
    Im sorry to say that I am one of many that didn't realize this.

I don't mind at all paying for this service, but do you mean to say that without a RIM provisioned data plan, you couldn't even make a phone call on your BB?
    08-08-09 08:22 PM
    Why get a blackberry and no data? What sense does that make. Reminds back on the late eighties and early nineties, when people bought fake cell phone antennas for their car....DUH squared.
    08-08-09 08:23 PM
    My xv6700 has wifi and no data! Just a note
    08-08-09 08:25 PM
    Let me add another thing, how do you think they pay for the network? Government grants?????

Stick with a Motorola Razr
    08-08-09 08:26 PM
    My xv6700 has wifi and no data! Just a note
    And when did you get it? I know after a certain period all smartphones required data plans, or at least on Verizon I believe.

Civic, you know even if you we did post a giant sign stating that, people still wouldn't read it and we'd still have 8 million threads on the same thing.
    08-08-09 08:35 PM
    Why get a blackberry and no data? What sense does that make. Reminds back on the late eighties and early nineties, when people bought fake cell phone antennas for their car....DUH squared.
    I think your being a little hard on the OP there. I believe he wants data without having to pay for the Verizon data plan. Just use WiFi connection when he can; Which you apparently can't do without a RIM provisioned data plan on a BB.
    08-08-09 08:40 PM

Civic, you know even if you we did post a giant sign stating that, people still wouldn't read it and we'd still have 8 million threads on the same thing.
    I didn't know. I would have read that sign. But there isn't one
    08-08-09 08:43 PM
    A BB with WiFi WOULD have data. Im not sure that I worded my original question correctly. Im not saying that I dont want data, all I was asking was would Verizon still charge for a BB DataPlan once the Storm 2 comes out, with WiFI, for those of us that dont need an internet connection.

I dont use my Storm for browsing much, and my previous Verizon phone had Wifi and I did NOT pay a data plan.

I bet that once the Storm 2 comes out, many users will wonder why they are paying for a dataplan, especially if they use WiFi often. Wifi doesnt use bandwidth like a dataplan does.
    08-08-09 09:33 PM
    99.99999% sure it will
    08-08-09 09:34 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD