I've had my storm over a week now and realized today I can read what's on the screen with my polarized sunglasses on, I had to remove my glasses to read my previous phone's screen (enV2). Anyone know why out of curiosity?
    08-06-09 08:55 PM
    Probably has something to do with the tint of the screen. Don't know for sure, but maybe something in the manufacturing process and what the 2 different screens are composed of. Do you like it? That's all that matters.
    08-06-09 09:12 PM
    Some phones use a screen which emit polarized light for the backlight.
    08-06-09 09:16 PM
    I never knew the difference.

I like it; I can actually see the screen better with my polarized FIVE on when I'm outside, foggy or sunny.

Lovin' it!
    08-06-09 09:20 PM
    cause RIM is a smart company that thinks about that kind of thing lol
    08-06-09 09:21 PM
    LCD for higher grades of work probably.im not too savvy with mine yet,i know its sturdy as a bar of iron though,flew outta my car and slid face first on the road,no scratches on the screen and it works like a charm.better than my old dare.
    08-06-09 11:13 PM
    I've had my storm over a week now and realized today I can read what's on the screen with my polarized sunglasses on, I had to remove my glasses to read my previous phone's screen (enV2). Anyone know why out of curiosity?
    How about when you turn it is landscape mode? I haven't tried it but from what I understand when you are turning it to landscape mode it will black out like all other LCD's.
    08-06-09 11:18 PM
    cause RIM is a smart company that thinks about that kind of thing lol
    I agree...........
    08-06-09 11:27 PM
    How about when you turn it is landscape mode? I haven't tried it but from what I understand when you are turning it to landscape mode it will black out like all other LCD's.
    W1nn@R!

You can see it in Portrait because you're 90 degrees off. Turn it to landscape and you'll see it's darker... you can still read it, but it's definitely darker. Actually when you turn it to landscape, just short of 90 degrees, it'll be all black, just like any other LCD screen.

Thank God I live in Portrait Mode.
    08-06-09 11:32 PM
    W1nn@R!

You can see it in Portrait because you're 90 degrees off. Turn it to landscape and you'll see it's darker... you can still read it, but it's definitely darker. Actually when you turn it to landscape, just short of 90 degrees, it'll be all black, just like any other LCD screen.

Thank God I live in Portrait Mode.
    For most operations I live in portrait mode. There are some things that work better in landscape though.
    08-06-09 11:39 PM
    I noticed this in store. It was the final reason I bought the storm inatead of the env. First of many bb now that I'm addicted to it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 01:27 AM
    Ahh! I haven't tried looking at it in landscape. I noticed it when I was driving yesterday and I keep my phone in portrait in the car. This is a major plus for me, that drove me nuts with my enV2. Thanks for all the reply's
    08-07-09 10:30 AM
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the screen protector?

Could be silly to ask it, but it seems logical that a cover between the LCD and sunglasses might cause an issue.
    08-07-09 10:37 AM
    I never used a screen cover on my enV2 and I don't have one on my Storm so I don't think that's it.
    08-07-09 10:57 AM
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the screen protector?

Could be silly to ask it, but it seems logical that a cover between the LCD and sunglasses might cause an issue.
    It's got nothing to do with a screen protector. It's how an LCD works. It's two pieces of glass sandwitched together around the crystal liquid. Apply a current to it and you form a pattern which bends light to form what you see. In basic LCDs (the monochrome ones used in calculators), if you take the display appart and separate the two glass plates, you can actually turn them on each other at 90 degrees and it'll go black (just like the sunglass effect does). This is what happens when you apply the current to the liquid between the plates, it polarizes and bends the light to make it seem like it's flipped the two polarized glass pieces on each other to form the writing on the screen.

What, you've never done that when you were a kid?
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 08-07-09 at 11:08 AM.
    08-07-09 11:05 AM
    I'm actually considering getting NON polarized lenses for my sunglasses because of all of the things that I *can't* see correctly with them on... The screen of my Storm, LCD for the car radio, the info display in the dash console, the meter at the gas pump (well, maybe I don't mind not seeing that one), etc......
    08-07-09 05:04 PM
    I'm actually considering getting NON polarized lenses for my sunglasses because of all of the things that I *can't* see correctly with them on... The screen of my Storm, LCD for the car radio, the info display in the dash console, the meter at the gas pump (well, maybe I don't mind not seeing that one), etc......
    Tilt your head a bit to the left or right to see what you need when you need it.
    08-07-09 08:45 PM
    It's got nothing to do with a screen protector. It's how an LCD works. It's two pieces of glass sandwitched together around the crystal liquid. Apply a current to it and you form a pattern which bends light to form what you see. In basic LCDs (the monochrome ones used in calculators), if you take the display appart and separate the two glass plates, you can actually turn them on each other at 90 degrees and it'll go black (just like the sunglass effect does). This is what happens when you apply the current to the liquid between the plates, it polarizes and bends the light to make it seem like it's flipped the two polarized glass pieces on each other to form the writing on the screen.

What, you've never done that when you were a kid?
    LOL. LCDs hadn't been invented or in common use when I was a kid.
    08-07-09 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD