Does anyone have this problem, or had?

It just started 10 minutes ago for me and i have had it since the 1st... I am not sure if this is something that happens to all of them after a while. If so, everything else is perfect. It just bugs me to hear a crunching sound every time i hit the backspace or enter button while texting.
    12-11-08 08:28 PM
    Mine has just started to make a bit of a different sound in the same area. I cant really describe it, but its certainly not a crunching sound. The click just sounds different in that area, just not as smooth sounding as the clicks elsewhere. So maybe this is a potential problem area for the screens? Who knows
    12-11-08 08:32 PM
    Actually... looking at it now, it seems as though the part of the screen near the green phone button doesnt click down... I guess im calling in for a replacement. yay. I was so excited that i got a phone that didn't have the problems that most everyone was having.

I'm not unique now.

Edit: The screen doesnt click down because it never rises back up. Its permanently sloped at that corner... /cry
    12-11-08 08:34 PM
    Why dont you just loosen up the screen with a torx driver like so many others have done? If you have a storm that is good for everything else why risk having a complete dud next time? Gotta be worth a shot, if it doesn't sort it then go ahead and get a replacement
    12-11-08 08:38 PM
    Let me go find one... lol.

I guess i might as well try those tricks.
    12-11-08 08:39 PM
    I think its worth it yeah, by the sounds of it the chance of actually getting a good one is not that great
    12-11-08 08:41 PM
    I love the influence about to fix it yourself but when you pay $200 for a phone your going to pay for 2 years of all the data charges and all this

Why dont you just a new one
    You scream and complain you get anything or is that only for me?
    12-11-08 08:42 PM
    Yeah but for some screaming and complaining is getting tiresome, read a post that some guy is on his 4th storm in a week or two
    12-11-08 08:48 PM
    I cant find a torx.

Plus, i hear that it isnt a long term fix. Something about the phone will torque out of shape or something
    12-11-08 08:57 PM
    There is a modified method to the screws.

Personally I say get another one. Its one thing to loosen the screws for responsiveness but your corner is stuck down I imagine if you get it back up its only going to stick again.

As for the modified thread I wish I had the URL lol but do a search for 'shim screws' or just shim and you should find it. The guy who figured it out is a nice guy with a good engineering background. the short version is you loosen the screws some then add in two small squares of like a business card or about 100 cover stock paper. Then tighten them up. Dont over tighten but make them snug. It keeps the whole plane even so no torquing out of shape and it keeps the screws tight so no loose screws to let things bend.
    12-11-08 09:10 PM
    I am in a bind... I have to go buy a torx screwdriver or take my phone back and hope i get one that is perfect.

The thing is, since mine used to be perfect, it will probably just happen again.

I want to try the torx, but I am not sure if I will get another one that is perfect also and stays like that.

Software-wise, my phone is perfect. Hardware-wise, my phone has just taken a crap tonight.
    12-11-08 09:21 PM
    You could always try throwing it at the wall. Thats what I ended up doing with my N95..... worked much better afterwards but thats not really saying much
    12-11-08 09:24 PM
    You could always try throwing it at the wall. Thats what I ended up doing with my N95..... worked much better afterwards but thats not really saying much
    hahah.

Ill give the torx a try first.
    12-11-08 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD