I just noticed a crack almost 1 inch long. I know that cracked glass only gets worse over time. My question is about cost. I don't have insurance so is a cracked screen covered by the standard 1 year warranty? Thanks in advance.
    P.S. To all of the mini mods : yes I did a search. Sorry if you think this thread belongs in another sub forum. Whatever else you think is wrong. Get a life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 05:42 PM
    It probably isn't supposed to be covered in the one year warranty, but I've had things like this happen to my phones and if you go to the Verizon store and complain they've given me new ones before. Worth a shot maybe.
    03-15-09 05:48 PM
    I just noticed a crack almost 1 inch long. I know that cracked glass only gets worse over time. My question is about cost. I don't have insurance so is a cracked screen covered by the standard 1 year warranty? Thanks in advance.
    P.S. To all of the mini mods : yes I did a search. Sorry if you think this thread belongs in another sub forum. Whatever else you think is wrong. Get a life.

I don't believe that it is covered by the 1 year warranty. You can always call Verizon and double check. I will tell you that I didn't elect to get the insurance either and after about 3 months I decided that I should have. I called Verizon and spoke with a Manager there and they actually got me added on (that's why I love Verizon). Try that and just cope with the screen as long as you can.
    03-15-09 05:48 PM
    Did you look on Verizons website to see what would be covered? To me a cracked screen would not be covered unless you have insurance. I believe the 1 year standard would only cover any mechanical issues with the phone.
    03-15-09 05:50 PM
    Did you look on Verizons website to see what would be covered? To me a cracked screen would not be covered unless you have insurance. I believe the 1 year standard would only cover any mechanical issues with the phone.
    I figured that to be true. There's no way to prove I never dropped it or something so I think I'm fd in the a. Like I said cracks in glass get worse before they get better.

03-15-09 05:54 PM
    Yea even if you don't have insurance they will replace it for you for a $50 fee. Just call tech support.

03-15-09 06:04 PM
    Well, worst case scenario buy yourself a new display and a T-6 torx driver from cnn.cn and replace it yourself for about $100. It's actually very easy to replace the screen.
    03-15-09 06:07 PM
    I have mine insured and yhey told me the deductable is $100 not $50. Because of the replacement cost. My son's friend broke his screen days after the launch and had to pay the $100. So reading ChuckH0308 reply, To insure or not to insure?????
    03-15-09 06:14 PM

I wouldn't tell the "mini mods" to get a life, a lot of them are the ones that help out the most, and making them mad doesn't make them wanna help.....
    Anyway take it to verizon and see about a replacement (it never hurts to ask) and just say it just randomly appeared one day (what you told us) they will probably replace it.

If not then I'm sorry.

03-15-09 06:56 PM
    I wouldn't tell the "mini mods" to get a life, a lot of them are the ones that help out the most, and making them mad doesn't make them wanna help.....

As I appreciate your input I feel it is sometimes necessary to let some people know in a not so subtle way that if they don't have anything constructive to add to a particular thread to just move on. I first found this site to be informative and helpful and lately I see all to often people jumping into threads with nothing to contribute other than useless dribble and counter productive instructions on how to perform a forum search or where to post certain topics. We can all do without it.

03-15-09 07:16 PM
    Ay I Broke/cracked My Screen On My Blackberry Storm N I Want Anotha 1 With Out Paying Do Any1 Kno What I Can Tell Verizon Or The Blackberry People ... Help
    03-21-09 01:05 PM
    I don't believe that it is covered by the 1 year warranty. You can always call Verizon and double check. I will tell you that I didn't elect to get the insurance either and after about 3 months I decided that I should have. I called Verizon and spoke with a Manager there and they actually got me added on (that's why I love Verizon). Try that and just cope with the screen as long as you can.
    This is a sneaky idea but would probably work. Get insurance on your phone and then wait a week or 3, and get it replaced. This is pretty dishonest though.
    03-21-09 01:09 PM

How do you "just notice" a 1 inch long crack in your screen? That's 1/3 of the screen.
    03-21-09 01:34 PM
    really sorry to hear that man. my condolences.

i am thinking about a low-tech solution - how deep is the crack? if it's only surface-deep, can you try to use the stuff people use to fix minor cracks on windshields? if the warranty does not cover the display and you are gonna get a new display anyways, it won't hurt to try something low-tech first i guess....

also, just for my own sake - how did the crack happen? i often wonder how strong this glass is after watching a youtube video with a guy scratching the screen with a knife....
    03-21-09 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD