I think if you come from an iPhone you won't like the Storm at first, but you can learn to love it. That is my opinion.
    12-28-08 04:49 PM
    I think I am going to try to Omnia first. Nothing against the Storm or anything else but for some reason my gut feeling is leaning towards the Omnia and like most of you said, I have 30 days to be "worry free" in selecting my phone. I do not mind paying the re-stocking fee as long as I'm happy with the phone selection I make.

I really like how there is a dedicated forum for the BB phones and I'm sure there is one for the Omnia, but I doubt it is a large of a community as this one.

Thank you to all and maybe later on I'll be joining you guys as an actual user.
    12-28-08 05:16 PM
    I love my phone Day and night!
    12-28-08 05:18 PM
    I think I am going to try to Omnia first. Nothing against the Storm or anything else but for some reason my gut feeling is leaning towards the Omnia and like most of you said, I have 30 days to be "worry free" in selecting my phone. I do not mind paying the re-stocking fee as long as I'm happy with the phone selection I make.

I really like how there is a dedicated forum for the BB phones and I'm sure there is one for the Omnia, but I doubt it is a large of a community as this one.

Thank you to all and maybe later on I'll be joining you guys as an actual user.
    No problem. I wish you luck. And thanks for checking out CrackBerry.
    12-28-08 05:19 PM
    Thanks for stopping by, but I will let you know one thing. The BBs are VERY addictive! I couldnt have anothor phone besides a Blackberry. Thanks mostly to this site though
    12-28-08 05:31 PM
    I have tried most smart phones, Iphone is great with multimedia and cant be beat in this area. but the storm is inovative and great for everyday use for both personal and buisness. For some reason I feel better with the storm as a phone and texting.
    12-28-08 07:04 PM
    I picked up the Omnia today and I am playing around with it and customizing it right now. I talked to the rep and he will void the $35 fee if I decide to switch to the Storm so who knows! The Omnia has been good so far but again it's only the first day and I'm still getting used to it.
    12-29-08 01:35 AM
    the omnia was one of the main phones i was considering till i found out the blackberry would do what i want.

i have checked out the omnia and i am sorry, its just not up to snuff in my book.

1) the resisitve touch screen is old technology and it shows. you basically need the stylus to do alot of stuff.

2) samsungs today screen is not that great.

3) the phone's resolution is not great, the screen is not as crisp as the storm, and even though its not that much smaller, it sure seems much smaller when using it.

4) spacebar over on the side? wtf is that? i know that can be fixed with software but still.

5) the optical mouse is annoying, and it doesnt work well as a d-pad compared to my motorola q's d-pad.

6) no 3.5mm headphne jack? ARGH!

7) winmo argh!

8) keyboard harder to type on then storms.

Pluses are: wifi, 5mp camera, fm radio, divx and xvid,
    12-29-08 02:56 AM
    We will see how things go with the Omnia. It is my first Windows Mobile phone so it is sort of overwhelming trying to customize and get everything the way I want them to be, but I have been dealing with windows for my whole live so I know a lot about it already.

Texting has been alright, I agree and knew that the keyboard is extremely narrow but have grown to basically use T9 keypad and I feel like I like it better than the QWERTY.

The rep knows I've been debating between the Omnia and the Storm and said he'd do a one time waive of the restocking fee so I may go ahead and do 15 days on the Omnia, 15 days on the Storm and then go from there.

I like that the Omnia has Wifi and 5mp camera however the FM radio I won't use most likely and DivX/XVid, I've never watched a movie on a phone.
    12-29-08 03:25 AM
    Hardhitter. I've owned 3 of the 4 major phone platforms. Iphone, wm6.1 phones and blackberries. The determining factor for me was how the device handled its data connection. Blackberries are able to turn it on and off seamlessly. Other platforms you have to initiate the connection, authenticate then manually turn off the data connection or risk draining your battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 03:43 AM
    What do you mean how the device handled its data connection? Such as wifi/3g/bluetooth/etc?

Just like any other phone I am starting to get used to the Omnia and feel it can be a great phone, but I say that knowing that I haven't been able to give the Storm the same amount of time.
    12-29-08 04:29 AM
    What do you mean how the device handled its data connection? Such as wifi/3g/bluetooth/etc?

Just like any other phone I am starting to get used to the Omnia and feel it can be a great phone, but I say that knowing that I haven't been able to give the Storm the same amount of time.
    Yea ... The 3G or 1xEV

Wait till you try to browse the web or do anything that requires a data connection like checking email ... You will hate the "dialing #777" notification and having to wait a few moments for it to authenticate and connect ... You also have to manually disconnect our data connection after you are done. There are apps out there that will try to manage your data connection for you ... But those gave me nothing but headaches. If you leave your data connection on ... Ur omnia battery will be drained in under 4 hours.

Last edited by zeiroe; 12-29-08 at 04:51 AM.
    12-29-08 04:48 AM
    pick one....Use the 30 day trial if you dont like that one get the other. No phone will appeal to everybody, thats why they make so many different types.
    If you do the 30 day and you don't like the phone you have to pay a $35 re stocking fee. So I wouldn't go down that route

12-29-08 04:52 AM
    If you do the 30 day and you don't like the phone you have to pay a $35 re stocking fee. So I wouldn't go down that route

he said that his rep said he would waive the fee
    12-29-08 05:04 AM
    I'd go for the Storm. I went from an EnV to a Pearl then a Curve and now my Storm. By far the Storm is the best phone I have had yet.
    I find the keyboard is easier for me to type than on the Pearl or the Curve. For the Pearl, I didnt like only having suretype which is why I went to the Curve, but on the curve, I found the keys too small to type. The Storm has a great keyboard in either QWERTY or Suretype. Perfect sized keys.
    12-29-08 07:59 AM
    I am starting to like the Omnia more and more. I just installed iFonz which makes the today screen a lot better and easier to navigate. I like how you can customize and have more than a single program running, basically just like windows with the task bar and all of that (duh it's WinMobile) I haven't had any problems but the screen definately is a downfall to the phone vs the Storm. The Storm VGA vs QVGA is not comparable and worlds apart.

I went in today again to play around with Storm and I feel like the Omnia is easier to navigate for some reason even though at first I didn't feel that before.

Again, I think that all phones have everything a user wants it's just being able to get used to the OS and features. If I was computer ******** I can see why a lot of people hate the Omnia and it's OS.

I will keep you guys updated but please continue to tell me some of the pros and cons of your Storm.
    12-29-08 03:00 PM
    IMO you don't need a BlackBerry. I'm sure the Omnia will do you just fine, and will probably be all around cheaper for you.
    12-29-08 03:22 PM
    Good luck Hardhitter! I just exchanged my 3 week old Omnia for a Storm. Take a look at how much memory you have left (on the device, not the card) and you will probably freak-out. I had so many low-memory warnings with nothing running and only Google maps installed.

I like that the Storm doesn't require huge amounts of hacking/registry edits like the Omnia does to continue normal operation. And typing on the Storm is waaaaay faster. I got pretty fast on the Omnia, but something is still off with that keyboard. Ever notice it takes up 80% of the screen so you can't see what you're typing? I miss the 5.0mp camera, but it's worth it to be rid of WinMo!

I LOVE the Storm after 3 days. Leaps and bounds better .
    12-29-08 03:35 PM
    Yea that is really annoying how the keyboard takes up basically the whole screen so when texting you can really read what you're typing or the conversation in general. I like that it has threaded SMS though which the iPhone had too and I didn't want to lose that. The Storm I do not believe has it threaded and each message was separate which to me was going to be bad because I text A LOT.

There is a program I just installed where when you actually hit the X it closes the program instead of minimizing it. That is a downfall with the Omnia that the X doesn't actually close the program so you have 7-8 programs running without even knowing it. Where did you pickup Google Maps? I really miss that from my iPhone. I'm not a very good person with directions so I need that Google Maps application.
    12-29-08 05:12 PM
    I've had my Omnia for over a month now.
    I have at least 10 apps installed and I have never received a low memory warning.
    I installed my apps on my SD card, why on earth would I try to install them in memory?
    The portrait keyboard uses half of the screen, and you can see the you're entire message and the one you're replying to.
    The landscape does take up a good deal of the screen. It shows you what you're typing as you're typing and it shows you 2 or 3 lines of the message. I personally don't need to see the entire message after I've already typed it.

As far as google maps, just search for it and install it. It doesn't work with the Omina default keyboard (no idea why), I installed the spb keyboard not for google maps, but because it spaces out the keys making it easier to type on.

Because windows mobile is so different than my Treo 700P, I didn't like it right away, but I've made the adjustment and I like it a lot more than my Treo.
    I have yet to have the Omnia do an odd reset, hang, or any of the other oddities I experienced with my Treo. It actually does as instructed.
    Last edited by pool_shark; 12-29-08 at 05:40 PM.
    12-29-08 05:36 PM
    Try the Storm. If you don't like it check out the HTC Touch Pro instead of the Omnia. It dropped in price to 279.00 and has a nice vga screen. You always have 30 days.
    12-29-08 05:40 PM
    May be heading to the Storm sooner than later, I've had to restart the phone 4 times within the first two days of owning it because the whole phone just freezes for no reason.
    12-30-08 11:55 AM
    Alright, well I think I'm heading to Verizon today to pickup the Storm. The selling points on the Omnia were a 5mp camera and Wifi capability however since having the Omnia, I rarely have used the 5mp camera and Wifi. I would love to have Wifi on the Storm but that's not going to happen and for just casual web browsing on the phone, the EVDO should be sufficient enough.

The Omnia has a lot of customization which I like but it has also made the phone unstable with freezing and crashing. Another reason why I'm likely going to the Storm is because of you guys. The community and help on these forums are great and with the Omnia they are lacking. Anyway I have a few questions on the Storm before making a decision.

#1 is it easy to customize? Example are you able to change the themes and so forth?

#2 is there flick scrolling or an app that will allow the Storm to have flick scrolling?

#3 with the Omnia I had to manually enter my contacts since Verizon couldn't get my contacts off of my iPhone. I then had to reformat the phone which deleted my contacts and I'm wondering if the Storm will sync with Outlook 2007's contacts so it's easy to update and get my contacts on there

#4 Is suretype the same thing is Tx9?

#5 How is the email with the Storm, Omnia is horrible and I'm guessing the BB is supreme since they are known for emails/messaging.

#6 How is sending/receiving MMS?

#7 How easy is it to update the firmware or do the Storm phones from Verizon will come with the latest firmware?

#8 Does the Storm have or have an app that has threaded SMS? That is something I really need because I text a lot and I do not want to have to keep checking/deleting messages coming in and out. Is it also easy to select multiple contacts to send a mass text message?
    Last edited by HardHitter; 12-30-08 at 02:15 PM.
    12-30-08 01:54 PM
    #1 is it easy to customize? Example are you able to change the themes and so forth?
    It will be, once more themes are available for it. I don't have a guess as to when we'll start to that though.

#2 is there flick scrolling or an app that will allow the Storm to have flick scrolling?
    The Storm itself doesn't really have it, but some of the apps you're likely to find have a "flickiness" to it.

#3 with the Omnia I had to manually enter my contacts since Verizon couldn't get my contacts off of my iPhone. I then had to reformat the phone which deleted my contacts and I'm wondering if the Storm will sync with Outlook 2007's contacts so it's easy to update and get my contacts on there
    Yes.

#4 Is suretype the same thing is Tx9?
    No. Look at a Blackberry Pearl's keypad, and that's a representation of SureType.

#5 How is the email with the Storm, Omnia is horrible and I'm guessing the BB is supreme since they are known for emails/messaging.
    Email is good. Email on Blackberries is good.

#6 How is sending/receiving MMS?
    Good?

#7 How easy is it to update the firmware or do the Storm phones from Verizon will come with the latest firmware?
    I think it's simple, but you'll see some on here that turn it into an ordeal for whatever reason.

#8 Does the Storm have or have an app that has threaded SMS? That is something I really need because I text a lot and I do not want to have to keep checking/deleting messages coming in and out. Is it also easy to select multiple contacts to send a mass text message?
    Yes to threaded SMS, it's native to Blackberries. Yes it's easy to send to multiple people, just type their name.
    01-01-09 12:45 AM
    So I have been looking for a new phone lately. I have iPhone on Tmobile right now. First it was between the Bold and the Storm (depending on which service I choose) and I feel as if I'm going to go with Verizon now. I was pretty much set on the Storm but after reading a lot of the forums, there are still some kinks/problems with the phone. I was then introduced to the Samsung Omnia and have loved everything about it, a lot of reviews have praised it too etc.

I've gone into Verizon and played with both phones. The Storm was visually more appealing than the Omnia. I will be using the phone a lot for texting and I HATE how you have to have the Storm in landscape mode to get the full QWERTY keyboard. The Omnia has full QWERTY in landscape and portrait however portrait is very narrow which will take some adjusting to (compared to the iPhone)

I don't use my phone as a big media player, but both phones support and will play MP3's which I like and will only need it for when walking to class. Storm has a headphone jack where the Omnia has to have an adapter which is annoying.

Camera isn't a big concern to me, but again, the Omnia camera/options seem more customizable/better mp.

Browser: Both phones do what they are supposed to do so I have no complaints here.

I'm just trying to figure which phone is best for me and I've heard/got the selling points of the Omnia, but what are the selling points for you guys for the Storm? I know the O/S is a little slow but both phones have had firmware updates and continue to get updated.
    I'm a user of the storm. Not a salesperson- nor a defense lawyer.

Good luck on your choice.
    01-01-09 01:00 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD