I am trying to do research on getting a storm. I have several questions and although I have done extensive reading in these forums I would like to get a wide range of opinions on a couple of issues that I've read about.

1. My biggest super pet-peeve is dust under my BB's screen. Is this a serious issue in many of the storm's? And how do you go about cleaning it out? How often do you have to clean it out?

2. I am a super BBM'er I also use this as my main source of email so how is the typing? Do you like the SureType more or is it easier for you to type in landscape mode? Is it very difficult to get used to?

3. The clicking screen is, of course, very innovative and attractive and I have read that it's very durable, which makes me happy One question I have is- Is it very loud? I have watched numerous videos with people typing and it seems as though it is a very loud "CLICK" that the screen makes but it could just be the video.

4. I am not worried about OS updates and I actually enjoy doing them so that is not an issue for me but can you enlighten me to some of the "bugs" people are commonly talking about and experiencing?

5. I love me some Apps! I use SocialScope, weatherbug, instango, etc. Are there currently many apps available for the storm? I have read about a few but I'm quite uneducated in this area as far as the storm goes. And are they costly? Or free? (My fave word)

Aside from these questions I am very open to any other info you would like to give me and i really appreciate you taking the time to read my incredibly lengthy post and for any info you can provide!

Have a good day!
    01-27-09 10:17 AM
    1. i have heard of dust under the screen from people that got the phone the first month it was out.
    2. the suretype is fine it is not difficult to type on the phone once you get used to it, its actually pretty easy.
    3. the screen click is not that loud you can hear it and it sounds pleasing but like in videos thats not the case.
    4. i honestly havnt had any problems with my os or my phone so i cant help you here.
    5. there are a decent amount of apps out there some you have to pay for and others are free.
    01-27-09 10:32 AM
    So the dust is not an issue with the current Storms?
    Last edited by megnjk; 01-27-09 at 12:03 PM.
    01-27-09 11:58 AM
    So the dust is not an issue with the current Storms?
    I have never had a single speck of dust under my screen. I do have one annoying piece under my screen protector though.
    01-27-09 12:33 PM
    I have never had a single speck of dust under my screen. I do have one annoying piece under my screen protector though.
    lol I'm sorry about that-I know how annoying that must be-Thanks for your input!!!
    01-27-09 12:35 PM
    1. No dust under my screen at all. Every few weeks I get the can of air and give the edges a bit of a blast but that's moreso to make sure it stays clean rather than attempting to remove dirt that's already in there (ounce of prevention > pound of correction)

2. I was stuck on the train on the way home after having my Storm for 2 weeks so I decided to try out SureType since we weren't going anywhere for the next 50 minutes. I am now officially hooked and I can pound out a message or email on portrait way faster than I ever could on my Curve and with fewer errors. It does take a bit of getting used to but my advice is to stick with it, and if the "predicted" word isn't the one you're typing, just keep going; it'll get there. Oh, spend some time adding your favourite profanities and abbreviations into the custom dictionary too. That's a HUGE help.

3. The click is nowhere near as loud as it is in the commercials but it's a pleasing volume. If you're texting whilst in the restroom at work then the person on the other side of the wall might hear it but who cares.. I can make worse noises than >click< if they want to get into it.

4. People seem to experience issues with certain software items but less so now than launch. I am running the official .75 from Verizon and the unit responds perfectly fine for my liking so I don't see a need to upgrade every time a new version is leaked. If one of the leaked versions corrects the music volume bug though, I'd be on it like wolves on a carcass. This bug manifests itself (on my Storm at least) whereby some times the volume on the 'next' song played is lower than the previous song. Just tapping the Up Volume button reverts it back to the volume I have things set at so it's minor, but clearly a bug. I also gather that there is an issue with the A2DP Stereo Bluetooth playback for movies where it only comes though in one ear piece? I don't use bluetooth so can't speak to it but if I did, and if that were indeed the case, then it'd be high up on my list of "irritating" bugs too since I know it didn't always do that; they introduced the feature.

5. There are a good number of apps out there and the RIM App Store is coming soon. Folks always compare the available apps to those on the iCuss, but remind yourself how much longer that phone has been out verses the Storm. In time, it'll catch up and depending on your needs, there'll likely be a wider range of business apps than just games and f4rt generators (not that both of these aren't of use).

Hope that is a help. Let us know if you elect to take the plunge and get the Storm. I don't regret my decision one bit since I know that going forward, more data and media is going to be delivered wirelessly in a format where a big screen will really come into it's own. Not to say the screens on the curve and the bold aren't a good size but obviously they're not as expansive as the Storm and likely never will be due to the physical keyboard on those devices.

Yup, there have been a few teething troubles and that has likely seemed a bigger issue than it really is because RIM's reputation for rolling out bulletproof devices and clearly this one was rushed to market. That doesn't mean it's a lemon though, and that doesn't mean it'll be buggy for ever. The latest leaked .90 OS is far more stable than the original launch-day version and it's only been a few months.

Best wishes as you mull your mobile device future. Drop me a PM for PIN info if you want to chat more about things.
    01-27-09 01:13 PM
    1. No dust under my screen at all. Every few weeks I get the can of air and give the edges a bit of a blast but that's moreso to make sure it stays clean rather than attempting to remove dirt that's already in there (ounce of prevention > pound of correction)

2. I was stuck on the train on the way home after having my Storm for 2 weeks so I decided to try out SureType since we weren't going anywhere for the next 50 minutes. I am now officially hooked and I can pound out a message or email on portrait way faster than I ever could on my Curve and with fewer errors. It does take a bit of getting used to but my advice is to stick with it, and if the "predicted" word isn't the one you're typing, just keep going; it'll get there. Oh, spend some time adding your favourite profanities and abbreviations into the custom dictionary too. That's a HUGE help.

3. The click is nowhere near as loud as it is in the commercials but it's a pleasing volume. If you're texting whilst in the restroom at work then the person on the other side of the wall might hear it but who cares.. I can make worse noises than >click< if they want to get into it.

4. People seem to experience issues with certain software items but less so now than launch. I am running the official .75 from Verizon and the unit responds perfectly fine for my liking so I don't see a need to upgrade every time a new version is leaked. If one of the leaked versions corrects the music volume bug though, I'd be on it like wolves on a carcass. This bug manifests itself (on my Storm at least) whereby some times the volume on the 'next' song played is lower than the previous song. Just tapping the Up Volume button reverts it back to the volume I have things set at so it's minor, but clearly a bug. I also gather that there is an issue with the A2DP Stereo Bluetooth playback for movies where it only comes though in one ear piece? I don't use bluetooth so can't speak to it but if I did, and if that were indeed the case, then it'd be high up on my list of "irritating" bugs too since I know it didn't always do that; they introduced the feature.

5. There are a good number of apps out there and the RIM App Store is coming soon. Folks always compare the available apps to those on the iCuss, but remind yourself how much longer that phone has been out verses the Storm. In time, it'll catch up and depending on your needs, there'll likely be a wider range of business apps than just games and f4rt generators (not that both of these aren't of use).

Hope that is a help. Let us know if you elect to take the plunge and get the Storm. I don't regret my decision one bit since I know that going forward, more data and media is going to be delivered wirelessly in a format where a big screen will really come into it's own. Not to say the screens on the curve and the bold aren't a good size but obviously they're not as expansive as the Storm and likely never will be due to the physical keyboard on those devices.

Yup, there have been a few teething troubles and that has likely seemed a bigger issue than it really is because RIM's reputation for rolling out bulletproof devices and clearly this one was rushed to market. That doesn't mean it's a lemon though, and that doesn't mean it'll be buggy for ever. The latest leaked .90 OS is far more stable than the original launch-day version and it's only been a few months.

Best wishes as you mull your mobile device future. Drop me a PM for PIN info if you want to chat more about things.
    FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for all the wonderful information! I think I am falling more in love with it every second...
    01-27-09 01:18 PM
    Ok so I ordered a storm and a curve 8900 and I'm going to sell the one I don't want...lol Wish me luck!
    01-27-09 06:40 PM
    Congratulations!!! Good luck on the sale of the Curve

To close, my main advice is: Give SureType A Chance
    01-27-09 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD