Hi,

I am not a Blackberry user. I am considering acquiring a Storm. I have stayed away from Verizon in the past because I travel quite a lot, switch SIMs, and need GSM phones for this. This Verizon phone has a GSM SIM capability and it can be unlocked. I do have questions though.

1. I use SIM cards from different European GSM carriers, Vodafone and Orange where I have the top data option, i.e. unlimited and I have the option of converting these to BB plans at about the same price. I spend 50% of my time in Europe so it would be far too expensive to use a Verizon plan there for voice and data.

Would I be able to use the Storm for internet and email using different SIMs on the Storm.

2. I see there are a large number of unlocked used 9530 and 9500 Storms on sale on Ebay, some are at very good prices. Has anyone bought one from Ebay and then used it on another network besides Verizon?

3. In reading some of the threads, this unique PIN concerns me. Would it preclude me from tying the Storm to BB plans with other carriers?
    02-07-09 07:44 AM
    I'll have to let someone else answer #1 & #2, but #3 I think I can safely say is a no. The PIN is really only used for device to device communications. It's sort of like an email address or an IM screen name. I don't know for absolute certain, but I don't think the carriers have any real way of tracking you based on your PIN. It might be possible, but I doubt there are enough Blackberries out there for them to consider it worthwhile to even try, even with the success of the Storm. Even if Verizon sold a million units, and Vodafone sold a million in each major territory... Even combined with all the other Blackberry phones out there, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of cell phone users.
    02-07-09 07:50 AM
    Wigglesworth,

You can't do what you want to do. I tried to do exactly what you would like to do. It can't be done. You are more perceptive than I was when I got my Storms regarding the PIN. The PIN is a RIM unique identifier which makes it impossible to do SIM swapping whilst keeping the BB service. I found out too late.

Once a PIN is registered with RIM by a carrier, it belongs to the carrier. It can't be re-registered by another carrier unless the first carrier "releases" the PIN. Essentially, you can only be registered with a BB with one carrier at a time.

If there were decent third party email programs for the Storm, you could use BB services with one carrier's SIM where you have the BB registered and use POP3 mail with other carrier's data plans when you switch SIMs. And, if there were a decent third party browser for the Storm, you could use it to browser on the other (non BB) carrier's data network. (the Storm's browser disappears when you insert a different SIM without a registered BB plan and enter another carrier's area). Sadly, there are no such third party applications that work very well with the Storm, yet.

I actually downloaded two third-party email applications (one was called Tiggit and the other Logicmail) to try to access email outside of the RIM system with the Storm through POP3. They were both much too buggy and apparently not developed for a touch screen. I could receive emails once in a while using POP3, but they could not be opened. You could only see the sender and subject lines. Also, these apps did not recognise the accelerometer and would only let you work with the Storm in vertical mode with no qwerty keyboard.

I also downloaded Opera (a third party browser), but not being developed for the touch screen, it wasn't really acceptable.

Given the PIN issue, I would not buy a used Storm on Ebay because chances are a former owner has probably registered it with a carrier.

It is a really great phone, but not for international SIM swappers.
    02-07-09 08:47 AM
    Wigglesworth,

You can't do what you want to do. I tried to do exactly what you would like to do. It can't be done. You are more perceptive than I was when I got my Storms regarding the PIN. The PIN is a RIM unique identifier which makes it impossible to do SIM swapping whilst keeping the BB service. I found out too late.

Once a PIN is registered with RIM by a carrier, it belongs to the carrier. It can't be re-registered by another carrier unless the first carrier "releases" the PIN. Essentially, you can only be registered with a BB with one carrier at a time.

If there were decent third party email programs for the Storm, you could use BB services with one carrier's SIM where you have the BB registered and use POP3 mail with other carrier's data plans when you switch SIMs. And, if there were a decent third party browser for the Storm, you could use it to browser on the other (non BB) carrier's data network. (the Storm's browser disappears when you insert a different SIM without a registered BB plan and enter another carrier's area). Sadly, there are no such third party applications that work very well with the Storm, yet.

I actually downloaded two third-party email applications (one was called Tiggit and the other Logicmail) to try to access email outside of the RIM system with the Storm through POP3. They were both much too buggy and apparently not developed for a touch screen. I could receive emails once in a while using POP3, but they could not be opened. You could only see the sender and subject lines. Also, these apps did not recognise the accelerometer and would only let you work with the Storm in vertical mode with no qwerty keyboard.

I also downloaded Opera (a third party browser), but not being developed for the touch screen, it wasn't really acceptable.

Given the PIN issue, I would not buy a used Storm on Ebay because chances are a former owner has probably registered it with a carrier.

If that's all true (IDK, cuz I don't travel outta da country) you could try a world edition, or possibly in the near future there will be a 3'rd party app that works good for the storm....I don't think this will change your mind to get it if you need it now, but I'd assume that in a few weeks/months time a lot of the apps will be converted to use the touchscreen. Those apps should work on an 8830 world though to get the mail.
    02-07-09 08:57 AM
    Yes, had there been good third-party apps for email and the browser that worked outside of the Blackberry system I would have kept the Storm registered with Vodafone in Italy as a Blackberry and would have used the third-party email app and browser in the US on AT&T.
    02-07-09 09:05 AM
    Wigglesworth,

Thanks,

I essentially got the same answer on the Vodafone UK site. It does not look like the Storm or Blackberry in general is for SIM swapping.

I would want the Storm for its OS and the Blackberry service. It would not make sense to have to use two different email apps and then have multiple email in-box folders for the same email address. It would be a nightmare.
    02-07-09 09:26 AM
    Hello,
    I am a new user to the crackberry.com. however, the storm will be my second blackberry device. I was informed by a co-worker that this site offer free applications for the storm device and expanded options for its use ie. (vertical full keyboard use, and modifications to the landscape/normal views)

can some one help, because i am having trouble finding these items on this site.
    Thanks,
    h.
    02-28-09 12:03 PM
    Hello,
    I am a new user to the crackberry.com. however, the storm will be my second blackberry device. I was informed by a co-worker that this site offer free applications for the storm device and expanded options for its use ie. (vertical full keyboard use, and modifications to the landscape/normal views)

can some one help, because i am having trouble finding these items on this site.
    Thanks,
    h.
    From one CB newbie to another - welcome! You've come to the right place.

There are a number of cool free and paid applications available. In the Storm 9530/9500 forum, go to the Storm 3rd Party Apps area and the first "Sticky" Thread is titled "Blackberry Storm OTA Apps Thread" (OTA=Over The Air). You can check out the apps using your computer browser but to download them you will need to visit the page from your Storm's browser (just email the page url to your Storm). Installing them is easy - just click on the link from your Storm's browser. And if you don't like one, it is really easy to delete it.

For the full qwerty keyboard, you will need to upgrade to the newer leaked beta operating system. Version .109 is the latest available version (to my newbie knowledge). It includes the full qwerty keyboard in portrait. Keep in mind that this is NOT an officially released operating system. It is a leaked beta. But people, including me, have found these to be well worth the upgrade. Go to the Storm Beta OS Discussion thread and look for the Official 9530 Leak Thread. There is a link there to download the .109 beta. Make sure you first read the "How to Update to a Leaked/Beta OS" instructions very carefully to see if you feel comfortable doing this. If you're not, you may be better off waiting for the next official OS release from Verizon. In my experience, if you follow the directions carefully, step by step, it is pretty straight forward.
    02-28-09 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD