I live in the US and will be traveling to the Caribbean (Turks & Caicos) in the next month. Guess I'm a bit slow...I can not understand what I need to do in order to use the Storm while I am over seas. I use Verizon.

Unlock the phone? Buy a SIM card (from where...Verizon)?

Can anybody explain my options? Thanks!
    03-21-09 11:05 AM
    Call Verizon and see if they offer intl CDMA roaming there. Ask the per minute rate etc. Then see if they have a local GSM carrier with a better rate. Choose which one you want. Vzw will provide unlock codes for free if you need them. Speak to global support.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 12:13 PM
    There's CDMA coverage on the Turks & Caicos islands so You DO NOT need to unlock your phone..However it is $1.99 a minute..
    03-21-09 12:21 PM
    I believe that VZW considers the Caribbean to still be part of the US in terms of usage but not completely sure. I had a few friends that were down there a couple weeks ago and they were able to make calls to me without a problem. I would suggest doing what patches said to speak to someone from global support. You can also post this in the verizon forums and somebody like lastraid or weekendbum could help you with this problem since they have said that they work for the company.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 12:22 PM
    Call CS, They will put you on a international plan for as long as you need and will send you a sim card.
    03-21-09 12:32 PM
    RPR
    Get your phone unlocked and buy a prepaid sim to use.
    It will cost you a ton to use VZW roaming
    03-21-09 05:42 PM
    RPR
    Get your phone unlocked and buy a prepaid sim to use.
    It will cost you a ton to use VZW roaming
    Any recommendations as to where to buy a pre=paid SIM? I suppose Verizon does not offer them and you need to get them from third parties?
    03-21-09 06:55 PM
    I would check ebay or you can contact ATT or TMobile. I use prepaid sim cards to test the phones I sell after I unlock them.
    03-21-09 07:08 PM
    Currently overseas with my BB storm.. Call global support, get on the $.99 per minute plan and global email access plan. It's all prorated.

I got mine unlocked as well, but have so far found it useless really. But they'll go ahead and do that for you too if you ask.

Global Support: +!.908.559.4899

They'll explain everything you need to know.
    03-21-09 08:54 PM
    Currently overseas with my BB storm.. Call global support, get on the $.99 per minute plan and global email access plan. It's all prorated.

I got mine unlocked as well, but have so far found it useless really. But they'll go ahead and do that for you too if you ask.

Global Support: +!.908.559.4899

They'll explain everything you need to know.
    Why would you pay VZW .99 per minute when you can by prepaid cards for less than .30??
    03-21-09 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD